David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by Ironing Board »

Marky wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:35 pm We are about to lose our best player which most people will think makes us worse

Even the Uber glass half fulls have to at least accept the argument we might struggle. Soucek has been been propped up by Dec. Pls look at Leicster who got to the semi last year. Don’t be complacent
Everton also thought they would struggle without Wayne Rooney.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

More Everton posts. :|
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:17 pm Yes he did, at later era Everton.

Eg https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ier-league
OK he achieved CL once with Everton during his 11 years there but I never recall Everton being anything other than a very resilient and functional side. Don't ever recall Everton being a possession based side.
Liam
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Liam »

Terrible league campaign this year, underwhelming domestic cups. Cracking European performance.

We’d have all accepted a final, the chance of winning something and 14th at the beginning of the season. But ultimately the way it’s happened has left a lot of people wanting to twist. Perhaps that stems from the fact that many fans have never really taken to him.

Anyway, all of that can wait 10 days, let’s give it one final push be it Moyes last hurrah or not, we can win something for only the 2nd time in my lifetime.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:44 pm OK he achieved CL once with Everton during his 11 years there but I never recall Everton being anything other than a very resilient and functional side. Don't ever recall Everton being a possession based side.
They were a very good, balanced side. All you have to do is go back and read the old match reports or watch some old highlights.

They were consistently the best side outside of the moneyed elite. Martinez got credit for Moyes work in the same way Rodgers got credit for Martinez’s work at Swansea.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:57 pm They were a very good, balanced side. All you have to do is go back and read the old match reports or watch some old highlights.

They were consistently the best side outside of the moneyed elite. Martinez got credit for Moyes work in the same way Rodgers got credit for Martinez’s work at Swansea.
You'd probably be better off pointing to Dicksy going to Liverpool and being replaced by Burrows, Marsh and Chapman; Paul Allen going to Spurs only to have MacAvennie and Ward come in, or Hartson being replaced by Foe and Di Canio, if you want to show that moving on a 'name' player can sometimes yield improvements by making the sum of the parts better.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The Straw wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:28 pm One thing I think we can all agree on is it must be ****ing hard managing West Ham in 2023.
It's not a 2023 thing, it's been like that for years.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

This comment was removed by a moderator because it was off-topic. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:05 pm You'd probably be better off pointing to Dicksy going to Liverpool and being replaced by Burrows, Marsh and Chapman; Paul Allen going to Spurs only to have MacAvennie and Ward come in, or Hartson being replaced by Foe and Di Canio, if you want to show that moving on a 'name' player can sometimes yield improvements by making the sum of the parts better.
Only true to an extent, as it’s less relevant to how Moyes can manage around such situation. Funnily enough, I think Hartson was a better player than Di Canio.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:41 pm I would say I do. There's a reason Jock Stein had Ferguson leading the Sctoland training sessions while he concentrated on other aspects. Ferguson was taking coaching courses on his honeymoon! Moyes operates in a similar way.

The fact is, all the Man Utd coaches were simply carrying out his instructions. He was always there, observing what was going on. I am pretty sure he could have led a session quite easily if he felt the need.

He did not have an army of coaches at East Sterlingshire, St Mirren or Aberdeen, but that did not stop him having success.

Moyes is a bit more hands on but operates in a similar way.
Non-sequitur twaddle. As per usual.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Colours never run

Ironing Board wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:12 pm Funnily enough, I think Hartson was a better player than Di Canio.
😳
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Can't we lock this thread til after the final? :furrow:
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Liam wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:56 pm Terrible league campaign this year, underwhelming domestic cups. Cracking European performance.

We’d have all accepted a final, the chance of winning something and 14th at the beginning of the season. But ultimately the way it’s happened has left a lot of people wanting to twist. Perhaps that stems from the fact that many fans have never really taken to him.

Anyway, all of that can wait 10 days, let’s give it one final push be it Moyes last hurrah or not, we can win something for only the 2nd time in my lifetime.
I agree in some ways. I think there are valid concerns about the style. I'm talking about when the stakes weren't so high. Crystal Palace at home, Liverpool away, Southampton away. Earlier on in the season where negative first halves were costing us. I know we don't win at Anfield often, but they were **** that day and our only shot at goal in the first half was a missed penalty. They were the types of approaches that got people's backs up. I don't think you need to post a load of stats or bring up managerial history to think so. It's not an outright dig at Moyes, just a valid criticism. Which are fair among the praise for other stuff he's done.

At the end of the day, we we ended up playing 'relegation rivals' with no consequence for us. Got to the 40 point mark and got to the final. I think we can appreciate that is a good job overall, while accepting that his negative approaches to games earlier in the season did not help. What I would say is that he rectified that a bit, some players started to find their true levels and we managed to make sure Europe was a focus while confirming our safety.

I'm not against him staying now tbh. Rather than judge 18 months, or 6 months or whatever tables people want to put up. We finished on 40 points after 38, improved over the 2nd half of the season and are ready for a final. I'll judge that as an overall and say that Moyes has done a fair job for this season. Of course losing the final will probably get some people back at him, but that is what it is. A cup final, we need those fine margins in our favour.

The only one thing I am against is it being a simple case of him seeing out his contract. I don't mind if they want to judge him on the this season before offering another, but I really don't want a stale, ride it out and leave. If he stays, it has to be with a view to saying that a good job next season results in a new one.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

I don't understand that he stopped us getting relegated he put us there in the first place . He didn't come in to save us he was already here.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Garry wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:20 am I don't understand that he stopped us getting relegated he put us there in the first place . He didn't come in to save us he was already here.
He halted the slide, and turned things around, Garry.

If anything a more difficult task than when he came in the first, and second time around, Garry.

Yes he was part of the reason why we were down there this season, but then so were the players, and between them they sorted it out, and that's all that really matters, Garry.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Wondering if we'll see any changes in the coaching staff this summer?

The Warburton experiment doesn't seem to have worked and, given the trigger wasn't pulled, it seems the suggestion he was here to replace Moyes in case of emergency wasn't true.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Why do you think it hasn't worked DDA? Our form did pick up, all be it I could argue that we just took more of our chances than the 1st half of the season.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2722 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:40 am Why do you think it hasn't worked DDA? Our form did pick up, all be it I could argue that we just took more of our chances than the 1st half of the season.
Warburton was brought in to help Moyes incorporate a more attacking system, it failed for the first half of the season.
We only picked up form when Moyes ditched all the changes & went back to basics.
Warburton has brought nothing to the party & needs to go, would ditch Nolan too I think, nothing personal but a couple of new coaches with fresh idea's that they are able to communicate effectively to the players would be excellent.