David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by bubbles1966 »

The team is in top 8/9 form over the last half season.

A team that picked up 15 points in the first half of the season with a potential 28 in the second half with one game to go has clearly turned a corner and is improving after half a season in the doldrums as it was trying to integrate new players and get them acclimatised to the PL.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 462 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:29 am The team is in top 8/9 form over the last half season.

And that's with European games chucked in too.

It's an easy decision now we have picked up somewhat. Up to Moyes is what we keep hearing, let's see what happens in June, i'd imagine not long after the final we will find out.

The feel good factor over the last few weeks has been the polar opposite of the first half of the season. Playing some decent stuff again too, loads in the Leeds/Man U game to get excited about from an entertainment perspective.
Take It to the Limit
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Take It to the Limit »

TheHandOfDog wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:16 am The feel good factor over the last few weeks has been the polar opposite of the first half of the season. Playing some decent stuff again too, loads in the Leeds/Man U game to get excited about from an entertainment perspective.
This.
I’ve not been able to get online much since Thursday, but was thinking similar.

I’m someone who doesn’t like to keep changing managers but almost half way through the season I moved onto the fence. Then I shifted to the ‘out’ camp. But if Moyes can keep the squad playing like this, then I’ll have turned full circle.
Although we have to acknowledge that yesterday we were playing Leeds, a team who are spiralling, some of our interplay was sublime. Paqueta and Fornals, for example, showed some great understanding. Ings looked more comfortable.. oh there was so many other moments where we looked, dare I say it, top 6.
We’re going to need to compete and have European football regularly to keep the likes of Paqueta. He needs to enjoy his football and we also need to allow him and the other flair players to enjoy their football. I’ve got renewed hope for next season.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 750 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

if we win the ECL then there is no way moyes should be sacked. however start poorly again he will be gone at xmas.

we have a huge summer ahead with our best player likely to be leaving. we need to buy well to enable paqman to have freedom to play well.
we cannot flog soucek to death again like this season where his form has dropped. downes hasnt played enough to see if he can cover soucek.
hopefully we will improve the CM starting positions and cover with maybe the likes of mctominay, lavia and JWP coming in.

as usual with WHU the signs are there BUT its the hope that kills you !
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I read Sullivan laid down the marker to him . You ****ing finish above ****ing Bournemouth, or you're ****ing out son
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:46 am I read Sullivan laid down the marker to him . You ****ing finish above ****ing Bournemouth, or you're ****ing out son
Was that in your Alphabetti Spagetti?
snooperpooper
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

Winning, it's what he does, I would like to see it done with a bit more flair and pace at times though.

That said, I'll take any kind of win in Prague!
miles
This site...
Has liked: 321 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by miles »

West Ham United have now won 26 games this season - their most in a campaign since 2011-12 (27), and most as a top-flight club since 1985-86 (31).

Winning is what he does. :coolas:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:29 am The team is in top 8/9 form over the last half season.

This seems to be a recurring feature throughout a lot of our history , not all of it but it's something I've noticed and posted on here regularly - even in 2002/03 when we went down we only lost 1 of our last 11 remaining games [ Bolton - Okocha ] - in that run in we beat Tottenham , Manchester City [ at City ] and Chelsea but were still relegated .

We have the players , we just don't always show the application until it's too late - that's the difference between Champions League , mid-table or relegation .
Squad size and quality play their part of course as can the Manager . :grin:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:39 am This seems to be a recurring feature throughout a lot of our history , not all of it but it's something I've noticed and posted on here regularly - even in 2002/03 when we went down we only lost 1 of our last 11 remaining games [ Bolton - Okocha ] - in that run in we beat Tottenham , Manchester City [ at City ] and Chelsea but were still relegated .

We have the players , we just don't always show the application until it's too late - that's the difference between Champions League , mid-table or relegation .
Squad size and quality play their part of course as can the Manager . :grin:
IIRC , 2002/2003 was a poor summer transfer window, things were only put right later on. Players were injured, some discord in the camp and so on.

I just think we went through a period of adjustment and acclimatisation this season that was a bit challenging because so many new players needed to be accommodated and get up to speed. Now, we've settled back into a more usual groove.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3091 likes

Post by MB »

My favourite West Ham stat. If matches had been 85 minutes long in 2002/03 then we’d have finished 8th!

I imagine this season if they started at 21 minutes then we’d be much higher up the table as well!
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

I honestly can't see what manager in the world achieves more than 6th, 7th Europa semi, bad first half of the season but European final
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

There is almost something satisfying about the success stories coming from the teams that didnt jettison their manager at the first sign of trouble, even when the trouble seemed rather endemic. Both ourselves and Forest actually stuck to our guns, and stuck by the manager. Or, in the case of Bournmouth they moved early, and Palace at a slice of humble pie to bring back Roy Hodgson.

Southampton and Leeds have played musical chairs all season. I'd probably be even more critical of Leeds as they didnt have the moral courage to select Sam in January. It was only when they fell into desperation stakes that the showed any humility by approaching him.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3091 likes

Post by MB »

I think there was an expectation gap before a ball got kicked. The signings, the money spent and Moyes talking about transitioning the style. I think a lot of us have got carried away with that at times.

Then there are also those (wrongly IMO) who look down on the Conference League. We’ve seen it this weekend in the comments from the Brighton manager.

If you had those expectations about the league and see the Conference League as a bit Mickey Mouse then you probably see the season outcome differently.

Just my opinion, but I don’t think Moyes has helped to win hearts and minds with some of his comments and approaches in certain matches. But let he who is without sin and all that…

I keep coming back to a comment DL made either before or after the Forest game that it just felt like one of those seasons. I should have held on to that for longer. It feels a damn sight better now and next season is a clean slate.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1850 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

13th place and a trophy.

Still a good chance this is the best season a lot of us have ever seen.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 128 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

As I read thru this thread I change me mind with each post(in or out)....bit like the season ..with each game... :crylol:
Never Ever called for him to be sacked tho...was all about next season,and who's the Boss,don't believe in sacking someone halfway thru..
and we owe DM...thats important....plus I quite like him.

When I weigh everything up....Biggest frustration is, we have been dreadful at times,with some real quality players out there who have
great team spirit...strange one for me that...that does seem to reflect on the Manager and how he want us to play...the sitting deep thing.
As in not letting players do what they maybe are capable of,cos of his heavy handed safety first approach.
Same next year and we're bottom 6 again that's a given imo,it's gonna be a tough old league next time,usual suspects will be there,
plus a few others..said before Def will be 10/11 sides with very good chances of Euro footie,not including us in that.

But and it's a big BUTT...sorry but...If and again a big IF...he could have had the squad he put together fully fit and firing,we really have had
some poor luck with injuries and more the timing of them....where could he have got us in the league,cos it does look a very good squad,
best I've seen us have,and how would we be playing...
We look so bloody good and threatening when we get on the front foot a little,and it's a joy watch...our matches are one extreme to
the other....we've got that in the locker so to speak,lets use it more.

It's the fact I don't like changing halfway thru leaves me a little up in the air as what to do..Couple months of us sitting back again,
another struggle looming,maybe no Europe,it would really be time to start looking around....Prob is then all the Managers you may
want, all the decent ones anyway would be employed,and we join the merry go round brigade.
Your decision is limited as fan,lotta guesswork.

As an owner..I'd know, it'd be easier cos would talk to the Boss...whats your plans etc,what players do YOU want,who do you want to unload...
and as the owner would make my decision....Also as an Owner or Manager I would 100% know what Dec is doing/planning and would have
thoughtlines in place already.....

Would like nothing better than win this Euro thing...and have a cracking start to next season,under him..........
.................And Dec staying would be the icing on that..
Benaloon
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 413 likes

Post by Benaloon »

I still would prefer a clean break at the end of the season, but would be now be fine with him staying on.

I think it would be harsh to ditch him if he lands the trophy (and even if he doesn't tbh) and I do think he can turn it round, but we can't have a repeat of this season again (league-wise). If we're playing like we were at the first half of the season then he's got to go in the winter break. Hopefully we can finish strongly and carry that momentum through to the start of next season (in the same way we carried our poor form form last season into this...).
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

MB wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:23 pm
Probably true, but then that - all of it - is on us, not him...
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:06 am IIRC , 2002/2003 was a poor summer transfer window, things were only put right later on. Players were injured, some discord in the camp and so on.

I just think we went through a period of adjustment and acclimatisation this season that was a bit challenging because so many new players needed to be accommodated and get up to speed. Now, we've settled back into a more usual groove.
Indeed - plus key players (Bowen, Soucek and others) lost form, and there were injuries too (Aguerd, Cornet, even Paq and Zouma at times).

It's been a nightmare season for Moyes and he's still on his feet.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Albie Beck wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:07 pm Indeed - plus key players (Bowen, Soucek and others) lost form, and there were injuries too (Aguerd, Cornet, even Paq and Zouma at times).

It's been a nightmare season for Moyes and he's still on his feet.
Funnily enough, it s coming through adversity that can really propel a team to a higher level.