David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

GazzaT

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by GazzaT »

Has anyone else noticed that even the lines above Moyes’ eyebrows converging in the middle to form crossed hammers?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

-DL- wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:07 pm I don't think even IB could have foreseen just what a hand in glove fit David Moyes would be for us, and what a monumental success it would be.

Who would have thunk it?

I really think he's going to win something with us.
I actually did - but thought it would take a bit longer than this. The speed of progress is just phenomenal.

It’s more like his stint at Preston where he went from relegation worries to champs in a season.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

I think there are a number of things here, the players clearly trust the bloke, which sounds obvious but cant be underestimated, also Declan as captain, his drive, his application and desire is infectious for this group….

The stars are all aligned
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Ozza wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:16 pm I think there are a number of things here, the players clearly trust the bloke, which sounds obvious but cant be underestimated, also Declan as captain, his drive, his application and desire is infectious for this group….

The stars are all aligned
Say it quietly, but I could see a serious title challenge on the horizon, if not outright victory, in the next few years. Moyes is the last of that old breed of Scottish managers, and I think he will leave the club as a proper force when he retires.
neathiron
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 335 likes

Post by neathiron »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:59 pm And don’t forget the thrashing we gave Everton to sign off in style.
That's the game I'm referring to IB.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

One of Moyes’ few weaknesses have been roundly trashed after yesterday’s result. This was that he had very frequently in the past played far too cautiously and gave far too much respect to “big clubs”.
That went out the window yesterday. Liverpool were bullied at the points where we knew we are strongest and didn’t panic with the lack of possession. We were more than happy to defend what they had in store for us. Make no mistake this is a massive step forward for Moyes and us as a club. Well done to all involved, but mostly well done Moyes.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

This makes good reading again, remember it being similar last season - https://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?l ... land&tid=j

Very interesting when put in the context of people being concerned about the fitness of a small squad. Looks like we get stronger as the game goes o - we're 8-0 away from home in 5 2nd halves!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:26 pm This makes good reading again, remember it being similar last season - https://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?l ... land&tid=j

Very interesting when put in the context of people being concerned about the fitness of a small squad. Looks like we get stronger as the game goes o - we're 8-0 away from home in 5 2nd halves!
Point was made in yesterday's game that Liverpool's weakness for conceding goals is deepest in the last 30, whilst we are the best in the league at scoring goals during that time. It's almost rope-a-dope tactics to keep them at arms length for half a game and then up the ante as they tire.

I get the impression that a significant amount of value is placed on endurance with our players. A week or two ago I read that Soucek has covered more ground than any other player in the league.
WCpete
Has liked: 1462 likes
Total likes: 3150 likes

Post by WCpete »

Am I correct in recalling that one of the reasons Moyes got fired at MU was because some of their senior players, read Rio Ferdinand and others, railed against him to the board? My recollection, which admittedly may be hazy, is that not only did he lose support of the senior players, he never had it from the off and that they actively undermined him from day 1. If that's the case, it just backs for me what a tool Rio is. His sense of self importance is immeasurably large.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Rays Rock wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:45 pm One of Moyes’ few weaknesses have been roundly trashed after yesterday’s result. This was that he had very frequently in the past played far too cautiously and gave far too much respect to “big clubs”.
For me, this was the most important thing about yesterday. It was our biggest step up yet in terms of attitude and self-belief. There's not a club in the country who wouldn't have taken note of what happened yesterday.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:07 pm For me, this was the most important thing about yesterday. It was our biggest step up yet in terms of attitude and self-belief. There's not a club in the country who wouldn't have taken note of what happened yesterday.
Nor a club that will fancy playing us.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

How much difference was there really in yesterdays' performance and the 2-3 at their place just before lockdown?

Allison throwing one in his own net instead of Fabianski?

I think the big club thing against him has been overdone. I think we've generally competed well , but within the limitations of the available players.

He's only really made the odd howler - including Noble at Chelsea last season, for example.
Al Fisti
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

We have currently a perfect system with the perfect players for it. Much credit to David Moyes!! The team suits in general and that´s better than a ManU side with good single players but a bad team performance week for week.

As we made pressure against Liverpool in the second half till 3-1, the team has shown what it´s capable of. We can change up to a higher level during a game, if it´s necessary, even against a big name. :newthumb:

We are massive and we can beat every team in the league on a good day!!
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Redknapp senior just on talksport mentioning how good Moyes is doing.

Just called us MASSIVE, tried to stop himself but it came out.

:arry:
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:28 pm How much difference was there really in yesterdays' performance and the 2-3 at their place just before lockdown?

Allison throwing one in his own net instead of Fabianski?

I think the big club thing against him has been overdone. I think we've generally competed well , but within the limitations of the available players.

He's only really made the odd howler - including Noble at Chelsea last season, for example.
He also added in an extra midfielder in the last Liverpool home league game (Noble). At that particular point Liverpool were really on the ropes, injuries to many key defensive players.
I think had we played them with our normal line up we would have beaten them. So i felt yesterday was quite a big step to field the current 11 and go at them when the chances arise. It showed a different intent and it worked. This time around Liverpool were a stronger 11 than that last example.
Don’t get me wrong, tactics change and adapt against every teams threats, so with the top sides there are more threats to combat, but it’s important to be able to retaliate in the way that we have been doing. For instance had we again gone for the insurance policy of dropping in noble / Krall as an extra centre midfielder, we would then have to leave out one of either Benrahma / Fornals / Bowen. Doing that not only restricts our own attacking capability and isolates Antonio, but psychologically not having that threat there allows full backs like Robertson and Alexander Arnold to push right up with much depleted threat. In effect increasing their midfield count and negating our extra man benefit in the centre. Our attacking balance works because of the threats posed right across the front four.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

https://footballxg.com/xg-league-tables/

What is the most pleasant read from that table for me is that we're only narrowly overperforming (two points plus)
We're more or less on par with Brentford when it comes to expected goals, and on par with them and Chelsea when it comes to expected points.

The difference between CFC, WHUFC and BFC seems to be the quality of the players.

We also over-performed last season.
It may be linked to our style of play, with emphasise set pieces and full backs delivering crosses into the box.
The anti-thesis of pass and move :winker:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

What is really noticeable is, even when we fall behind there is no panic. Instead of falling apart, this team rises to the challenge, shrugs off the disappointment and sets about putting things right. This is helped by a string of highly experienced first team regulars like Cresswell, Antonio and Oggy, but we also have a couple of academy graduates in Declan Rice and Ben Johnson who has quickly established himself as a first team regular and are also playing key roles
IronRhino
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by IronRhino »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:18 pm What is really noticeable is, even when we fall behind there is no panic. Instead of falling apart, this team rises to the challenge, shrugs off the disappointment and sets about putting things right. This is helped by a string of highly experienced first team regulars like Cresswell, Antonio and Oggy, but we also have a couple of academy graduates in Declan Rice and Ben Johnson who has quickly established himself as a first team regular and are also playing key roles
I think this is also true of the fans. We know that going a goal or even 2 down doesn't mean game over as it has often been the case in the past, We have players with pace skill and vision that can change the course of the game in an instant. Plus we are massive at free kicks and a corner represents a real chance for a goal every time
GreenIron
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by GreenIron »

:crylol:

codger
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by codger »

Is there something amiss with this thread? I am getting Email notification of new postings but they are not appearing on the thread.
My most recent notification was for today at 13.13pm but the last post shown is Nov 9th at 6.59pm.
what am I doing wrong?