David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Kermit wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:34 am Since the departure of our last trophy winning manager we have been managed by
Lou Macari
Billy Bonds
Harry Redknapp
Glenn Roeder
Trevor Brooking (Caretaker)
Alan Pardew
Alan Curbishley
Gianfranco Zola
Avram Grant
Sam Allardyce
Slaven Bilic
David Moyes
Manuel Pellegrini
David Moyes (again)

Moyes certainly isn't perfect but, ffs, surely we can accept that he's one of, if not the best of, that little lot.
Well, Pardew came within minutes of the FA Cup.

I'm happy with Moyes, at the moment - we've had two very good seasons, despite tralling off at the end each time, he's looking forward and trying to build us up.
He certainly deserves more time, and only time will tell.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1507 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I don’t really understand what the plan is at West Ham to be honest. Moyes is happy to settle for his squad. But he also feels stale. We also haven’t addressed our defensive problems from last year.

I think it could be a transitional season, but if we don’t look at solving the left-back and Soucek problems, and then if we lose Rice next summer there is going to be more to do next year than this year. How many ‘transitional seasons’ do we want?

I’m not sure how this season’s business deals with any of our major problems.

He wanted Lingard and Onana. Didn’t get either, so settles for what we have. So when do we improve? January? Next summer?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3093 likes

Post by MB »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:14 am That is bang on Bubbles
He keeps saying he would rather have no new players than the 'wrong' ones but that is very risky indeed
It is, but how else do you manage Sulli? As he said in the interview he is having to say no to player A in order to have that money available to potentially spend on player B in the future.

We've seen before how Sulli suddenly turns off the tap (maybe out of necessity) and it seems to me Moyes is making sure he has the funds available when he wants them.

Now the complete conjecture bit, I also think he is looking longer term than most of the fans. I wonder if he has targets he has set himself for establishing in the top six and the last two seasons have been a bit of fluke where we've massively punched. He seems to know it and sadly so do the players we want to sign who may actually help with that.

It is a football catch 22. You need regular European football to attract the players of a level who almost guarantee regular European football!
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1507 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

MB wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:07 am, but

We've seen before how Sulli suddenly turns off the tap (maybe out of necessity) and it seems to me Moyes is making sure he has the funds available when he wants them.

Now the complete conjecture bit, I also think he is looking longer term than most of the fans. I wonder if he has targets he has set himself for establishing in the top six and the last two seasons have been a bit of fluke where we've massively punched. He seems to know it and sadly so do the players we want to sign who may actually help with that.
I think he has targets MB. But we’re not capable of landing them. So we stay as we are. Which is fine. But it does mean that something isn’t working. As I’ve said before. He either needs to change his targets, change our negotiation technique, or change our aspirations.

He talks about Top 6, but to me we look a long way off that right now. It’s also important to remember that the ‘long term’ plan will almost certainly see us losing our best player. So why not have a crack at doing something special whilst we have Rice?
MB

Post by MB »

Turns to Stone wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:13 am I think he has targets MB. But we’re not capable of landing them. So we stay as we are. Which is fine. But it does mean that something isn’t working. As I’ve said before. He either needs to change his targets, change our negotiation technique, or change our aspirations.

He talks about Top 6, but to me we look a long way off that right now. It’s also important to remember that the ‘long term’ plan will almost certainly see us losing our best player. So why not have a crack at doing something special whilst we have Rice?
Sorry I meant targets as in established in the top 6 by X date, win a cup by Y date rather than transfer targets.

I imagine 2020/21 was top half of the table etc etc. Based on the interview I think he probably agrees with your assessment vis-a-vis the top six. He talked about trying to sign the level of player who maintains you at that level and that we failed. He then talked about us still building and the need for layers on layers. To me (and this is probably projection as much as conjecture!) the words of a cautious optimist who over achieved his KPIs one year and now is a little lost as the detailed plan he drew up doesn’t really apply anymore.

Again, conjecture, but I’m not sure it is in his nature to take the type of risk you are talking about. He doesn’t strike me as a roll the dice type and I am sure that is the source of a lot of the frustration. But I just don’t think he’ll risk the long term for a better shot in the short term. That’s probably a flaw in a sport where half a season seems like a long time and is probably why he has never won anything in his career

We need to be careful though as he may not deliver what a lot want in the short term, but I maintain that he is giving us what we need for the long term which is a platform to build off year after year rather than yo-yoing which we seem to have done for my whole lifetime.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1212 likes
Total likes: 587 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

I see no 'adulation' for Moyes on here.

I see honest appreciation of what he's achieved with us and a recognition that he's not perfect.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Pete647580 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:07 am I see no 'adulation' for Moyes on here.

I see honest appreciation of what he's achieved with us and a recognition that he's not perfect.
No, he is not perfect. At certain times most of us I’m sure would want him to just bloody well sign a couple of players to give us more depth - he refuses, and he steadfastly continues to purse the quality that he feels will improve us.

His ‘quality over quantity’ policy will ultimately be judged by results. He is completely aware of this and is backing himself. His record at WHU tells us he knows what he is doing. However, the precarious nature of football management and fickleness of fans suggests that this will be quickly forgotten if we get off to a stinker.

Moyes has been brilliant for us. However, his patient approach to transfers in a disposable world where people want instant success will be tested.
MB

Post by MB »

Agreed ironilunga, though interestingly both Klopp and Vieria said almost exactly the same yesterday about not bringing in players unless they are the required quality.

Still very much the minority though with Forest signing their 57th player of the window!
Pete647580

Post by Pete647580 »

ironilunga wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:26 am
His ‘quality over quantity’ policy will ultimately be judged by results. He is completely aware of this and is backing himself. His record at WHU tells us he knows what he is doing. However, the precarious nature of football management and fickleness of fans suggests that this will be quickly forgotten if we get off to a stinker.
I think a lot of the debate on here comes down to values. I'd genuinely rather we finished 8th with a bunch of honest players and a manager I respect than 4th and have Son up front and Arteta in charge.
Al Fisti
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

Kermit wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:34 am Since the departure of our last trophy winning manager we have been managed by
Lou Macari
Billy Bonds
Harry Redknapp
Glenn Roeder
Trevor Brooking (Caretaker)
Alan Pardew
Alan Curbishley
Gianfranco Zola
Avram Grant
Sam Allardyce
Slaven Bilic
David Moyes
Manuel Pellegrini
David Moyes (again)

Moyes certainly isn't perfect but, ffs, surely we can accept that he's one of, if not the best of, that little lot.
Many names of them sound for me like a visit in a museum of natural history. Pellegrini once was a good manager but not at West Ham. I would aprreciate finally a new way with a young, innovative manager like Graham Potter for example. Think West Ham always drives the same old street concerning the manager question, playing their old ideas of tactics, and those tactis mostly are defensive oriented. But our current team is better than that - just my opinion.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

MB wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:36 am Agreed ironilunga, though interestingly both Klopp and Vieria said almost exactly the same yesterday about not bringing in players unless they are the required quality.
The problem Moyes and West Ham have is attracting the desired quality. Liverpool and Arsenal (to a lesser degree) don’t have such issues. Most of our big money targets over the past 6 months have ended up at such clubs, or their European equivalents.

Moyes, whilst keen to look up the table, also has to look over his shoulder. The quality over quantity stance is so much harder for him as we are really fishing in a pool we have no business fishing in.
Davev
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Post by Davev »

Turns to Stone wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:13 am He talks about Top 6, but to me we look a long way off that right now.
I'm not sure how this can be the case when we were 45 mins away from top 6 last year and 6th the year before! We have literally been a top 6/7 team for the last 2 seasons!

Are people really panicking after a poor preseason and a loss to the champions!?
Bond Holder 59+
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59+ »

Davev wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:21 am ……..
I'm not sure how this can be the case when we were 45 mins away from top 6 last year and 6th the year before! We have literally been a top 6/7 team for the last seasons.
Dave,

I perceive the issue being flagged by others is that ‘the better’ European players, and to some extent, best uk based players, do not recognise the ‘ammers as consistent top challenges the way that many on kumb already report us to be.

Our collective ambition and hope being outweighed by records in books, which regrettably ignores nearly and could have been.

Keep the faith. This is just the latest big year for West Ham, next year will be bigger and so on.
👍🤞🇨🇿
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

https://youtu.be/v3qsSPXwOSk

2:05 - “My club….”
Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by Kermit »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:02 am Well, Pardew came within minutes of the FA Cup.

I'm happy with Moyes, at the moment - we've had two very good seasons, despite tralling off at the end each time, he's looking forward and trying to build us up.
He certainly deserves more time, and only time will tell.
I don't think a manager can be judged a success or otherwise by what happens in domestic cup competitions. To reach an F A Cup final it is only necessary to win 5 matches, against opposition of varying abilities. And there's one round fewer in the Mickey Mouse cup. League performance and European competition are, at least imo, the only true gauges of a manager's success.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Turns to Stone wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:03 am I don’t really understand what the plan is at West Ham to be honest. Moyes is happy to settle for his squad. But he also feels stale.
You honestly believe Moyes has no plan and is happy to settle with the squad he has at the moment? I really couldn’t disagree more strongly. He will keep his unvarnished views in-house.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I do wonder if our lack of signings could be down to some potential targets not liking DM that much. He's hardly Mr Cheerful.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:08 pm I do wonder if our lack of signings could be down to some potential targets not liking DM that much. He's hardly Mr Cheerful.
And yet we have the best team spirit in the league. He must have something about him to get that going?
Pete647580

Post by Pete647580 »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:10 pm And yet we have the best team spirit in the league. He must have something about him to get that going?
I suspect some players respond well to his style but quite a few don't - particularly those who want to feel 'special'.

The likes of Soucek, Dawson, Bowen 'get it'. Lingard not so much.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Pete647580 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:13 pm I suspect some players respond well to his style but quite a few don't - particularly those who want to feel 'special'.

The likes of Soucek, Dawson, Bowen 'get it'. Lingard not so much.
Yeah, that might be the case. Think you’ll get a tougher team this way though, which pays dividends.