David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by Doc H Ball »

Have you all forgotten that whoever it might be would have to go to Theydon Bois and sit down with the someone dressed like Liberace to talk turkey?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'd wait for Potter... or maybe even the fella currently at Brighton if Potter goes back there.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:00 pm Have you all forgotten that whoever it might be would have to go to Theydon Bois and sit down with the someone dressed like Liberace to talk turkey?
Can't believe you've doxed our vertically challenged leader like that 😏
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1364 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:00 pm Have you all forgotten that whoever it might be would have to go to Theydon Bois and sit down with the someone dressed like Liberace to talk turkey?
Still harbouring faint hope that at some point it might be a businessman from Prague…..
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by Rozzop »

Is it fair to say that throughout Moyes career he has shown he is great at getting a basic, functional team to punch above their weight?

With Everton and with us?

But that's his limit?

If thats so, its not a terrible thing. Where do we expect to be? Top 4?

Its just when it doesn't work anymore, like for the past year, its always tempting to go for a more glamorous manager

Could someone like Emery do a better job?
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Would be interesting to know if anything behind the scenes has changed that has affected things, I don't think I've read anything that shows he's lost the dressing room for example. Nothing seems to have leaked that our players are unhappy with things.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

1895Hammer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:13 pm Still harbouring faint hope that at some point it might be a businessman from Prague…..
Maybe, but not yet.

Sully’s not going to risk paying for a severance package and a new coaching team whilst the club’s in limbo. Equally, I can’t see a manager sitting down among the diamanté wildlife and signing knowing the bloke he’s negotiating with is trying to sell the place.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Rozzop wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:20 pm
Where do we expect to be? Top 4?
Not in the bottom 5.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:11 pm Not in the bottom 5.
We should really be aiming for top 10 every season and going far in the cups.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:14 pm We should really be aiming for top 10 every season and going far in the cups.
That may well still become a reality this season.

Last time I checked, the season wasn’t over.
one.paulhilton
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by one.paulhilton »

Maybe not but we have been down this road before and we know how it ends. Pretty sure Moyes took the blue pill.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Rozzop wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:20 pmWhere do we expect to be? Top 4?
Certainly not bottom 4!

I think it’s fair to say that if we were in and around the top 10 we probably wouldn’t be having this conversation. However, following the massive investment over the Summer even Moyes himself will accept the speculation.
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2053 likes

Post by Shabu »

one.paulhilton wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:20 am Maybe not but we have been down this road before and we know how it ends. Pretty sure Moyes took the blue pill.
You might be thinking of Pardew.

ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

-DL- wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:03 pm Like we sometimes have to do to attract the best players we can buy you mean? In which case, we may as well not even bother competing. People come to a club such as ours for one thing.

Money.
As with player recruitment we must never recruit a manager based solely on money - that’s how you end up with Avram Grant.

I would argue that none of the players we recruited this summer came only for the money. Scamacca and Paqueta both wanted to play in the premier league, Downes wanted to specifically play for West Ham, Cornet’s arrival was a promotion for him, Areola wanted to stay in London etc etc.

I have no issue at all paying the right manager top dollar but I wouldn’t drag them here kicking and screaming. The first question should always be - would you be interested in managing West Ham. If they say yes and you want them then start schmoozing.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1364 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:41 pm Maybe, but not yet.

Sully’s not going to risk paying for a severance package and a new coaching team whilst the club’s in limbo. Equally, I can’t see a manager sitting down among the diamanté wildlife and signing knowing the bloke he’s negotiating with is trying to sell the place.
Sadly true Doc, we always come back to the same issue don’t we, half an hour in Glitter Towers with Sully is probably enough to dissuade most candidates, but I’ll cling to the hope it’ll change eventually.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Not that I'm suggesting him for us, but it's another name to add to the noise. Rangers sack van Bronkhorst
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:41 am Not that I'm suggesting him for us, but it's another name to add to the noise. Rangers sack van Bronkhorst
"It led Ferguson, who spent seven years at the club between 1983 and 1990, to criticise Van Bronckhorst over his lack of substitutions earlier in the game and the attitude of his players.

Speaking on the Open Goal podcast, Ferguson admitted: “Winning sometimes isn’t enough. You’ve got to put a performance on. A large amount of fans turned up at Ibrox to watch a few goals and they certainly weren’t entertained."

Should be a fairly seamless replacement ;)
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:41 pm Maybe, but not yet.

Equally, It’s possible that there is an agreement in place that Kretinsky is in charge of the recruitment for any new manager and the severance given he already has an agreement to buy the club next year?

Both views have different risks
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3173 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

rossmundo wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:29 pmBubbles don't you and and ironing bore off
This isn’t how we post here.

And, if you’re going to call our current manager a prehistoric dinosaur, expect to get replies. And many will be smarter than calling the manager - who has given us these last few seasons - a prehistoric dinosaur.