David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

e20too
Has liked: 666 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by e20too »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:00 pm Depends if you want to put a negative spin on absolutely everything.

If I were Moyes I would be off at the end of the season regardless. Who wants the constant toxic negativity?
You really think he would not have had toxic negativity at any other club over his year (I would suggest year and a half but timescale is arguable) of delusion about the true state of the team/squad. I think he has been treated rather well by most inside and outside the Club considering events and this is supported that he is almost the last man standing amongst the relegation threatened clubs.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2034 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

stu1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:20 pm Only 1 point better than 18th is pretty bad, especially when cherry picking the number of games.

The ‘improvements’ in our league form just coincide with when we play relegation rivals at home. That’s not evidence of turning a corner as we inevitably find out in games like Tottenham and Brighton.
I agree. We've looked like turning the corner once, when we managed 14 points from 9 games between the end of August and middle of October. We've picked up 10 points from the 14 games since. Not sure where any other corners have really been turned.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 779 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i think the fans have been remarkably patient given the football served up and the players shown admirable professionalism in at least trying to carry out moyes's negative instruction, even when they've made it clear they've lost faith in it.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5675 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:15 pm I agree. We've looked like turning the corner once, when we managed 14 points from 9 games between the end of August and middle of October. We've picked up 10 points from the 14 games since. Not sure where any other corners have really been turned.
Are you surprised given how bad our corner taking has been this season?
Bring_Back_Connolly
Has liked: 2554 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Bring_Back_Connolly »

really good watch and breakdown on the Moyes times
Last edited by Bring_Back_Connolly on Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenIron
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by GreenIron »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:00 pm Depends if you want to put a negative spin on absolutely everything.
Your outlook/spin can be positive, negative, realistic, whatever. What doesn’t change are the facts. We have 24 points from 26 games. If we carry on with that form, we’ll have 35 points at the end of the season. The average points required to stay up over the past 10 seasons is 35.
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 615 likes

Post by NedN »

Just out of curiosity and I’m asking this with all sincerity as this thread has now reached almost 2100 pages and many of them are dedicated to whether or not to sack DM, but have any posters had their minds changed (one way or the other) by this thread (and if so, why)?
Bring_Back_Connolly
Has liked: 2554 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Bring_Back_Connolly »

Bring_Back_Connolly wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:10 pm I like David, I really do. I would shake his hand and thank him for helping build this club.

David, I love you. But goodbye :hamm:
3 months ago almost up there.... No NedN, I wish I was wrong, I really do.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 678 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

NedN wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:24 pm Just out of curiosity and I’m asking this with all sincerity as this thread has now reached almost 2100 pages and many of them are dedicated to whether or not to sack DM, but have any posters had their minds changed (one way or the other) by this thread (and if so, why)?
This thread has definitely made me realise Moyes is not the answer.

Back in the start of the season I was giving Moyes the benefit of the doubt and saying that 'Rome wasn't built in a day'.

By the end of the mid-season break (pre WC) I was saying 'Moyes has blood on his hands'.

Now I have completely accepted Moyes will be manager until the summer at least and have given up thinking about change or replacing him.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

In 1975 West Ham won the FA cup for the 2nd time and gave John Lyall his first trophy as manager. It is considered one of the great moments in our history. I was 5 years off being born but I know the story of Alan Taylor, the scrawny kid from Rochdale. It was a classic moment.

1st Feb 1975. West Ham beat Carlisle to go 6th in the old 1st Divison.

We finished 13th, 6pts off the drop zone. Our record over the final 14 league matches
W2 D4 L8 F11 A23.

In short, we were dogshit. Nobody remembers that though, they remember the Cup win and if we somehow manage to win the ECL this season will be the same and Moyes will be remembered as a great West Ham manager.
hargo
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by hargo »

If I were Moyes I would be off at the end of the season regardless. Who wants the constant toxic negativity?
If you actually attended any West Ham games you'd know that our support, for the most part, have been incredibly patient with Moyes for over a year of declining performances and uninspiring results.

But I guess you don't need to attend our games, since you're not West Ham.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

My thoughts on change or not, are on who would replace him, and would this guarantee an upward turn in our results? To be honest, I haven't seen any strong link to any manager that would basically guarantee we would improve. Now of course I understand things can't get a lot worse than being in the bottom 3, but who would take over and definitely improve us realistically from who our owners would employ? I'm seeing nothing that screams out at me if I'm honest 🤷‍♂️
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

There is never a a guarantee of anything in football.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1990 likes
Total likes: 4739 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:51 pm My thoughts on change or not, are on who would replace him, and would this guarantee an upward turn in our results? To be honest, I haven't seen any strong link to any manager that would basically guarantee we would improve. Now of course I understand things can't get a lot worse than being in the bottom 3, but who would take over and definitely improve us realistically from who our owners would employ? I'm seeing nothing that screams out at me if I'm honest 🤷‍♂️
I'd rather employ someone like Still, Carrick, Postecoglou etc. In the Summer than Benitez now.
Cockneynomad
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by Cockneynomad »

If he stays I’d like to see an proven attacking coach come on board give him a few more ideas on how to attack, he might be 20 years in the premier league but he needs different voices than the others on the touchline

Happy to have him here as long as there is some evolution for some sort

Also I don’t want to virtue signal “loyalty” for the detriment of the club as no one wins that way
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Cockneynomad wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:14 pm If he stays I’d like to see an proven attacking coach come on board give him a few more ideas on how to attack, he might be 20 years in the premier league but he needs different voices than the others on the touchline
How does that work do you think? Surely it has to be Moyes man.
New attacking coach has to work in confines of Moyes structure and tactics. They get to utilise 3 attackers , 2 of who should always maintain defensive shape, and a defensive midfielder as a number 10. No risks taken either please.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

:kumbnew:
jabbaglob123 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:37 pm Now I have completely accepted Moyes will be manager until the summer at least and have given up thinking about change or replacing him.
If we lose to Southampton then it would be the first time this season I think we are actually going down, possibly the same if we draw.

We can’t win away (once all season) and we only beat relegation rivals at home and we’ll have Newcastle, Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool as our next four home games.

Fortunately I still think we will beat Southampton but if we don’t, then surely Sullivan’s patience/rabbit caught in the headlights act will have to come to an end.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:09 pm I'd rather employ someone like Still, Carrick, Postecoglou etc. In the Summer than Benitez now.
What if Benitez kept us up this season, would you still wait for the others even if it meant we went down?
Colours never run

Cockneynomad wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:14 pm If he stays I’d like to see an proven attacking coach come on board give him a few more ideas on how to attack, he might be 20 years in the premier league but he needs different voices than the others on the touchline

Happy to have him here as long as there is some evolution for some sort

Also I don’t want to virtue signal “loyalty” for the detriment of the club as no one wins that way
It's got to come from within, I'm afraid. The manager has got to have a feel for that style of play and when and where to attack teams at the right time and for how long. Attacking coaches would only be useful in honing the attackers skills in front of goal, they wouldn't be much use to make us play more attacking wise. Tactics predominantly come from the manager.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1990 likes
Total likes: 4739 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:58 pm There is never a a guarantee of anything in football.
Colours never run wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:28 am What if Benitez kept us up this season, would you still wait for the others even if it meant we went down?
I have no interest in Benitez on a three year deal.