David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Gazmundo
Has liked: 286 likes
Total likes: 425 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by Gazmundo »

It's a matter of time before the Moyes bashers claim that beating or drawing with Newcastle doesn't count because they had a midweek EFL cup semi.

Things have changed since Aguerd came into the team.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Regardless of anything else....and personally being able to take my own memories of West Ham Uniteds vulnerability against lower league opposition in cup competitions back to about 1974.

I can say that I never feel under much threat with Moyes in charge of such tricky fixtures. Especially away from home where we have been historically so vulnerable.

And he takes virtually every cup game seriously.....and this was so often a criticism of many other managers in the recent past.

And I appreciate that he does that.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Moyes does take the cups seriously which is good, but we were almost on the end of the biggest upset in FA Cup history last season!
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

stu1 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:58 pm Moyes does take the cups seriously which is good, but we were almost on the end of the biggest upset in FA Cup history last season!
We almost won the FA Cup in 2006. **** happens 🤣
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Almost.

A small word used by losing teams.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Moyes got his selections right this evening. A reasonable job on the subs too.

Plenty of changes and rotations but still a strong starting 11. It’s a squad depth we haven’t enjoyed in the past.

I thought our line up was too defensive when I first saw our line up, but, we took the sting out of them, it nullified their crowd and Areola was hardly troubled in the whole 90 minutes. Their attackers didn’t have enough for our defenders and midfielders, and we were too strong for them.

It’s not a match that gives any extra confidence for what’s coming in the league, but you can only beat what is in front of you, and we did that reasonably comfortably. Fair credit.

Now, Newcastle… we’re going to have to raise it…
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

SullySpecial wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:27 pmWe just beat a league one side.
And that after we beat Brentford's reserve side and Everton, the worst team in the Premier League.

However negatively anyone wishes to spin it, that's still three wins and a draw from WHU's last five outings.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Respect the cup!

It's just a League One side.

We never game them a chance because of the team we used and the attitude they were sent out to play with. Soucek and Downes were never going to be a flaky pair that allowed a buoyed team over them.

Solid pros and experience left in that team to make sure it was managed. We absolutely managed that game, and that comes from the manager.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Its no coincidence that our improvement has been significant since Aguerd and Oggy have got a run of games together and are getting match fit

It appears a Dawson wanting out marshalling a defence which changes every week isnt quite the same

1 goal conceded are really the solid foundations needed to build from... weve been building on sand all season

Its vital we keep 2 of 3 of Zouma, Oggy and Aguerd fit for the rest of the season
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

Gazmundo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:28 pm It's a matter of time before the Moyes bashers claim that beating or drawing with Newcastle doesn't count because they had a midweek EFL cup semi.

Things have changed since Aguerd came into the team.
I might have banged on about Aguard for ages and what he would do to the team
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

Well done to the manager, another win and another clean sheet…..next
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:57 pm "I am not annoyed by the current approach, by any means"
Looking forward to hearing that chant echoing round the London Stadium.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

For all our faults, defensively we are pretty solid and very organised. Barely 2-3 shots on target allowed over the last two matches. That’s why I think we will scrape enough unexpected wins and draws to stay up.

Pretty dull to watch in the meantime mind.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:23 am For all our faults, defensively we are pretty solid and very organised. Barely 2-3 shots on target allowed over the last two matches. That’s why I think we will scrape enough unexpected wins and draws to stay up.

Pretty dull to watch in the meantime mind.
My thoughts as well.

Benrahma and Paqueta might give us something to smile about, now and then.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

It's about being solid, and that will always give us a chance in games. It's not always going to be pretty, but neither is the situation we are in.

We may not have a natural RWB, but we needed to stop the soft goals.

Newcastle will be a tough test coming up. Looks like the players are putting a shift in to make a go of things.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

davids cross wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:36 pm And he takes virtually every cup game seriously.....and this was so often a criticism of many other managers in the recent past.

And I appreciate that he does that.
100% DC.👍

He didn’t do that in his first spell. I’m not blaming him for that by the way. But this time around once he’s brought his players in and set the tone his attitude to the cups has been first rate.

Pretty much all I’ve ever asked of West Ham players is that they give it their all and all I’ve ever asked of West Ham managers is that they remember our traditions and give the cups a go.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

We looked a different outfit from the shitshow against Kidderminster a year ago.

Whatever our problems, we do now have a pretty decent squad - last night we were missing arguably 4 first choice players and we looked composed, comfortable and professional.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Has Moyes really improved any players that have joined? I would possibly give him some credit for Arnie and Bowen would probably have made it anywhere but most others seem to perform the same at best or have regressed. Certainly we haven't made a profit selling on any of his transfers but on the contrary made horrendous losses overall. Even now, how much would we get for Paqueta, a 'world class' player struggling to perform?
CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

Hamburger wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:39 am I would possibly give him some credit for Arnie and Bowen would probably have made it anywhere but most others seem to perform the same at best or have regressed.
If your viewpoint is "the players that Moyes has improved would have improved anyway", then you're not really willing to engage in a conversation about it tbh.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Solid performance, a good win away to an in-form team. Keep it up Moyes-ey