Speedway thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 410 likes

Re: Speedway thread

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Whitton tank wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:16 pm Nice one, amazing to think they once averaged over 40, 000 for league matches and I believe drew the largest ever crowd to a league match when visiting Wembley.
I attended Arena Essex in the first few seasons so my favourites there were Alan Sage and Martin Goodwin. Sadly missed!
I went religiously with my Dad, Great Uncle and brothers until we all got a little older. My Dad being the last man standing and ended up a season ticket holder. Over the last few years I'd get over there with him occasionally. Since Lakeside went we've gone on a bit of a tour which has been great. We've visited Kent Kings, Peterborough Panthers, Poole Pirates and Ipswich Witches so far. This season we're going to make the trip to Oxford, and maybe get over to Sittingbourne and Kings Lynn if we can.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

On gear, no brakes, one long corner...

Is there any way you can overtake the rider leading after the forst full lap, bar a mistake from him?
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

szola wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:27 am On gear, no brakes, one long corner...

Is there any way you can overtake the rider leading after the forst full lap, bar a mistake from him?
Yes, if you are quicker round the track and you can find a way through then absolutely. I've seen riders gate horribly and be last on the 1st bend, and over the course of the 4 laps get into the lead. These would have been top end riders though. The kind who compete in the individual world championships.

Best rider I've seen live is Jason Crump down at Lakeside. Got out the gate 1st every single time and the speed of the bloke was crazy. Just glided round the track, and I'm pretty sure it was the first time he had rode on it too. The lakeside team couldn't get near him and he won every race he was in.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Watch this Szola. Richardson (RIP) and Kennett neck and neck all the way round. The recently departed Nigel Pearson on the commentary too x

Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

And go to 6mins here. Our very own Tai Woffinden. unbelievable racing.