Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Francoisvander or else wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:46 am Me and Mrs FVE are currently in Tenerife, both of us had a bit of a cough a few days ago and flu like symptoms but nothing to extreme so just brushed it off as a cold. Tonight we went to a bar and Mrs FVE asks for a Jack Daniel’s and coke. She takes one sip and says ‘that’s not JD, it’s cheap whiskey’. I march back to the bar and remonstrate with the barmen who is adamant it JD so much so he opens a brand new bottle in front of me, low and behold I can’t smell anything and when I take it back to the Mrs neither can she. Gave it to some friends to try who confirm it’s definitely JD. Sounds to me like we might have got the dreaded covid :chin:
Fingers crossed you'll both be ok.
For the JD drinkers, here's Rich Hall's twopenn'orth.....

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

Last couple of weeks, my 3yr-old girl had a runny nose, then a terrible cough, then a temperature and then an earache which burst both eardrums. So she's been crying, vomiting, and running out of her nose and ears, all at once. Not really been eating, been lethargic, and she's full of Calpol, baby Nurofen and antibiotic ear drops. She's starting to improve - last night was the first time in about a fortnight that she didn't wake up screaming and burning hot and ended up in our bed - but it's been a b*stard. And she still can't hear properly; we're given to understand that that won't right itself for a few weeks while the eardrums heal. Mrs.caress went down with it and took the last part of last week off work coughing her lungs up and took the start of this week off puking her guts up (although she's a lot brighter today). Couple of nights ago, I started feeling very... well, drugged up, and a bit too hot and too cold. Very swimmy. My eyes are hurting, like I'm wearing someone else's prescription spectacles.

We've all had negative COVID tests, though. So far.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Sorry to hear about your daughter LC, I hope she gets better soon.

I had an absolute minger of a cold last week - temperature was all over the place, completely exhausted. Did four tests, didn't show as COVID, so it turns out I was being a big woo.

Tim Spector reckons currently there is a ratio of three colds to one COVID case in this country.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

That's rough on anyone never mind a little lass LC.
Hope you're all better soon .
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Hope baby Elsie gets better soon mate, poor thing.

We've all had a cold over the last couple weeks, including the baba, who's nose hasn't stopped running, and has had a horrible cough too.

Went to a big family meal with the outlaws on Sunday, where one person tested positive on the Monday, now seven people are positive and all have the new sickness and diarrhea symptons too.

It what it is now though, this time two years ago, my anxiety would be through the roof, just life now isn't it.
Rust
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by Rust »

wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Rust wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:03 pm It's all starting to unravel.
Shocking if not unsurprising video.. 'Speed of Science' new one on me, sound like the title to a Coldplay album.
S-H

Post by S-H »

S-H wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:39 am Went to a big family meal with the outlaws on Sunday, where one person tested positive on the Monday, now seven people are positive and all have the new sickness and diarrhea symptons too.
Interestingly, it appears the only people testing positive from attending this, were those who had not had covid before.

Immunity baby!!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

It's everywhere around here again, popped into Colchester hospital on Saturday to see a mate, got turned away as they have closed the ward down to visitors as apparently 1 in 4 people in the hospital are expected to have the virus!
S-H

Post by S-H »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:31 am It's everywhere around here again, popped into Colchester hospital on Saturday to see a mate, got turned away as they have closed the ward down to visitors as apparently 1 in 4 people in the hospital are expected to have the virus!
The NHS are expecting higher flu and covid infections (than normal) this winter.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Jab four in the net and the usual 24 hours of feeling crap.

Hope the latest lot of reported cases on here are clearing up. I'm hearing a lot more people getting it again also.
OFT

Post by OFT »

Her OFTness and I are now both negative.
She's still got little or no sense of taste and I've still got a dry cough.
Supposed to be going for re-scheduled 4th Jab tomorrow not sure what to do for the best.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

The brief was to stop people getting ill not stopping the virus passing about.

We can see that as most of us jabbed but still getting it.

I'm happier though because the vaccines mean I'm less likely to die if I get it
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

OFT wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:29 pm Her OFTness and I are now both negative.
She's still got little or no sense of taste and I've still got a dry cough.
Supposed to be going for re-scheduled 4th Jab tomorrow not sure what to do for the best.
This is what enabled her to marry you :wink:
OFT

Post by OFT »

EvilC wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:39 pm This is what enabled her to marry you :wink:
Yes, Ive already admitted that, see my post of wed 12th, 10.58 :grin:
OFT

Post by OFT »

Was due the 4th jab today but thought I'd best make sure it was OK and, according to the NHS website:

Don't have a booster jab until 28 days after a positive covid test.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-63410341

What are the Chinese up to? Absolutely destroying their citizens and buggering their economy to boot...
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:45 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-63410341

What are the Chinese up to? Absolutely destroying their citizens and buggering their economy to boot...
what happens if you're visiting there for a holiday, work, or something? Do you end up getting locked away?
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Surely China can see us getting on with it

I'm currently in a wetherspoons in the south west. Shops full of customers and everyone happy to be out.

We don't want to get a bad flu style virus that generally doesn't kill you again but it's a risk worth taking to live life.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

The Chinese government made a massive commitment to zero COVID a while ago and it was always going to take them ages to roll that back. I'm not saying it is right, but that is how it is. They also have vaccinated their entire population with Sinovac, which isn't as good as the Western vaccines. So the government there will do whatever it sees to be in the interests of the ruling party.