Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Burnley Hammer »

RichieRiv wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:48 pm Make your own minds up....
I'm not sure he presented that quite right - we don't know exactly what range of other illnesses, mild or severe, that 'comorbidities' include. Just because you had a comorbidity it doesn't mean that it wasn't covid that killed you. I don't think he emphasised that quite enough. What it does suggest though I think, along with the other data I posted earlier, is that certain comorbidities are the greatest risk factor and will increase your chances of severe illness and death far more than anything else. I assume that obesity isn't classed as a comorbidity? If not then that could have had a significant impact on that remaining 17k deaths amongst the so called healthy population (who may not actually be that healthy). Same with those deficient in vitamin D which has also been identified as an additional risk factor.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The information from the FOI request could have been worked out at any point using the information here:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ndandwales

For example we can already see using this data that 16.8% of covid deaths on Q4 had no pre-existing condition.

So in Q4, for a total of 9,135 deaths (which strangely is around 1.5k less than the figure on the main covid dashboard), we have a total of 1536 that have no pre existing condition - and of those, 568 are under 65.

Interestingly, it looks like 22.5% of the people that died of covid in Q4 last year had diabetes.

Edit: It looks as though Q4 figures were released 21st November so its currently missing Decembers data. As it stands it counts for October and most of November. I imagine it'll receive an update at some point in the near future.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Also - it shouldn't have been a massive surprise. The same FOI request was put through this time last year for 2020's data:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transpar ... tionandage
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2707 likes

Post by sendô »

I wonder if we'll ever be told the estimated numbers of excess deaths from things like cancer caused by the covid restrictions, and now they compare to actual covid deaths/lives saved.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 940 likes
Total likes: 483 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

sendô wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:35 pm I wonder if we'll ever be told the estimated numbers of excess deaths from things like cancer caused by the covid restrictions, and now they compare to actual covid deaths/lives saved.
Very much doubt it unless someone issues a FoI request or suchlike, none of the parties seem too keen on pursuing issues with each other, must be so that when the opposition comes into power the favour is reciprocated

Sure it felt less like that previously, my memory seems to have told me that the main parties used to go for each other, probably just rose-tinted glasses.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

sendô wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:35 pm I wonder if we'll ever be told the estimated numbers of excess deaths from things like cancer caused by the covid restrictions, and now they compare to actual covid deaths/lives saved.
If a mainstream media outlet can make capital out of it, I reckon they will chase it. Cancer Crisis, NHS under unprecedented pressure, oncology departments unable to cope etc etc etc
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Anyone can put through a FOI request so give it a go. The email is foi.team@ons.gov.uk and information on making a request is at https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transpar ... ngarequest

I put a request through earlier today.
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

Funny how less testing has resulted in less cases of covid. Perhaps this will be used as proof that cases vs deaths are closer than previous thought, indicating the virus is more deadly. When the reality is less people know they have the virus.
Of course there will be shock about how many people are dieing of previously treatable illness due to lack of diagnosis.
And as previously predicted, more private health care will be introduced. Save the NHS, go private.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I have seen a number of articles focusing on immuno-compromised people who have been shielding, and how they are disappointed the restrictions in place are being removed

Whilst I, of course, sympathise with them (and anyone who is at greater risk wirh Covid - having recently had pneumonia i am somewhat immuno compromised myself at the mo), I am not sure what they would like to see happen. Do they want everyone to carry on living with restrictions for the foreseeable? I am not sure how that would help those shielding as surely they need to shield regardless?

For them the quicker Covid 'disappaears' (as much as it can) thr better - as they can then stop shielding. And ghr best way for that to happen is for as many people to catcj it as quickly possible
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whufc06
Has liked: 121 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

Yeah it seems like a case of “if I can’t do something then I don’t see why anybody else should either”. Which is a pretty shitty attitude imo.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

Not surprising as this has been the narrative.
It should be 'get back to work, save the NHS'. It does not run on good will alone.
The working class have kept the country running, by delivering goods, working in shops, keeping utilities running, driving buses, ect.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

666 hammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:50 pm The working class have kept the country running, by delivering goods, working in shops, keeping utilities running, driving buses, ect.
And the construction industry, including management, who have worked throughout.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

RichieRiv wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:21 pm And the construction industry, including management, who have worked throughout.
Tell me about it...
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

It's mad that this pandemic started and ended with a bat out of hell
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2707 likes

Post by sendô »

RichieRiv wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:21 pm And the construction industry, including management, who have worked throughout.
You're not wrong. I've only had ~3 months WFH in summer 2020 when we were in precon.

I was driving into the city in April 2020 down a deserted A13, into a London that looked like that scene from 28 days later.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

It was good. Centre of London 45mins easy.
The vitamin D thing is interesting. Especially as people with darker skin, from the med, Africa, Asia all suffer in Northern Europe in winter from low vit D. Of course culture's that wrap up suffer more, so shoukd be advised not to on health reasons.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

666 hammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:50 pm Not surprising as this has been the narrative.
It should be 'get back to work, save the NHS'. It does not run on good will alone.
The working class have kept the country running, by delivering goods, working in shops, keeping utilities running, driving buses, ect.
I think there should have been a readjustment of status for those that had jobs that required us to carry on going to work as normal. I mean, how useful must someone be, to be shuffling around at home in their carpet slippers whilst others have carried on going out to face this super deadly plague. And without a round of applause at doorsteps too. I’m actually surprised some people actually opened their front doors to participate in the NHS clapathon in case the deadly particles floated toward them and into their homes.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

666 hammer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:43 am It was good. Centre of London 45mins easy.
The vitamin D thing is interesting. Especially as people with darker skin, from the med, Africa, Asia all suffer in Northern Europe in winter from low vit D. Of course culture's that wrap up suffer more, so shoukd be advised not to on health reasons.
With the lack of sunlight able to bathe our covered up skin in the winter months, it makes it all the more odd to cover up 50% of the skin that we can actually expose to sunlight with face muzzles that probably have less benefit to fighting this and other winter respiratory illness than allowing what minimal sunlight could have converted to vit D on that part if the skin.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

Follow the science, don't question the science. Science is not to be questioned or tested but obeyed. Long live Sage.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

Nice isn't it. Those that have been working from home, on furlough are upset about rising taxes. Yet the workers that have kept the country running just accept it and predicted this. How about scraping i35, reduce vat and give me a pay rise :lol: