Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Coronavirus

Post by Monkeybubbles »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... -outbreak/

So here it is, the unstoppable mega pneumonia that's going to off us all.

Frankly, what with Boris Johnson and VAR, I'm ready. Take me now, take me quickly.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Ferret enteric coronavirus causes epizootic catarrhal enteritis in ferrets .

Is this story new then , MB me old mucker - thought Coronavirus was quite common - is this a new strain ?
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Had it when I was a kid,made good money from the empties.
The Old Man of Storr

Tenbury wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:47 am Had it when I was a kid,made good money from the empties.
:) Something I learned from working with Glaswegians over the years is - they call all soft drinks ' Ginger ' .

So , if a young Glaswegian boy were to enter a shop that sold Corona during the 1960s this is how the conversation might go -

Young Boy - Gi's a bottle of ginger , Missis .

Shopkeeper - What sort , son .

Young Boy - The lemonade , please .

Returning bottles of Corona in Glasgow would be referred to as -

' Taking back the gingers . '
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

It's a new transmutated strain of a Coronavirus, similar to the one that causes SARS.

At this stage there's no evidence of human contagion, so this might not be the one that wipes out the human race. Disappointing, but there'll be another one along shortly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2 ... a_outbreak
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:11 am Ferret enteric coronavirus causes epizootic catarrhal enteritis in ferrets .
Richard Whiteley most likely held the cure in his blood stream.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

Tenbury wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:47 am Had it when I was a kid,made good money from the empties.
Took me a second but I got there...... Image
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

:lol: me too!
Samba

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:09 am Returning bottles of Corona in Glasgow would be referred to as -
' Taking back the gingers . '
Or in modern, royal parlance, 'Getting rid of the gingers'..
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

N-n-n-niiiine coronavirus.
The Old Man of Storr

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:54 am It's a new transmutated strain of a Coronavirus, similar to the one that causes SARS.

At this stage there's no evidence of human contagion, so this might not be the one that wipes out the human race. Disappointing, but there'll be another one along shortly.

Our boy became interested in some Discovery Channel programme , ' Monsters Inside Me ' which is about a variety of nasty parasitic illnesses - I actually watched one with him - in this particular case a young man from the USA was unfortunate enough to have contracted a nasty disease called ' Hantavirus ' or ' Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome ' - Once contracted the ' Hantavirus ' has a fatality rate of 36% - it can be transmitted to humans via infected rodents .
I won't spoil the outcome of that particular episode of ' Monsters Inside Me ' for you by telling you whether the young man survived or not but it was a close run thing.......doh !
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:54 am It's a new transmutated strain of a Coronavirus, similar to the one that causes SARS.

Well that escalated :shock:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Was in Vietnam during the SARS thing. One day it was very difficult to entice teachers to remote Hai Phong, then we were inundated with teachers trying to get the f*** out of China.

That article mentioned marmots. Now them's the critters what carry plague. You still get cases of of people getting plague in Khazakstan and Mongolia from eating the b*stard things' kidneys cos they're supposed to be medicinally beneficial. Fortunately in these days of antibiotics, it is curable.

And, and, God's onist trewf, the first day I got to Vietnam I was dismayed to be taken out for a meal (when I just wanted to get some beer and recover from a very long flight). The restaurant entrance resembled nothing but a pet-shop. There was even a little monkey in a cage. I pointed at one critter saying Oh, that's a Civet Cat. I think mine hosts took this as an indication of preference, cos after a while there was an awful animal ruckus downstairs and a while later a stew arrived (with intestinal bits) and when I asked Jon Lee (my boss, who spoke good English) if this was the Civet Cat, he said that it was. Maybe he was winding me up (he would!).

Civet Cats (also used for some expensive perfume-base from a gland in their arses) were identified as the source of the SARS virus less than a year later. This is Gospel, true-life an aw that.

They'll ****ing eat anything out there.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Didn't that Matthew Kelly off the telly, once have 'Sars in His Eyes'?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

My wife decided she'd had enough of the Canaries and wanted to go somewhere a bit more exotic for her 50th. So she's booked flights to Thailand in April.

Great.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:11 am My wife decided she'd had enough of the Canaries and wanted to go somewhere a bit more exotic for her 50th. So she's booked flights to Thailand in April.

Great.
Reading through this, I at first thought that this was related to Viet's post and that she'd had enough of eating Cannaries, :shock:

Happy that it's not, definately not enough meat on those critters to make it worth the effort (unless you're on a diet).
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... rival-area

It's in the Guardian, how long before the broken woken write into the comments bit to accuse the authorities of doing this just to protect white privilege...? :lol:
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

delbert wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:16 pm https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... rival-area

It's in the Guardian, how long before the broken woken write into the comments bit to accuse the authorities of doing this just to protect white privilege...? :lol:
......and how long before someone comments on the corresponding Daily Mail report to say its another reason to close our borders? Oh, I see they already have, repeatedly.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

I'm getting deja vu all over again.

Weren't we all meant to die from some other Chinese originated super germ a few years back? SARS? H5N1? Bird Flu?
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

sendô wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:34 pm I'm getting deja vu all over again.

Weren't we all meant to die from some other Chinese originated super germ a few years back? SARS? H5N1? Bird Flu?
Yup, nothing like a nice panic, distraction of a FOREIGN virus to deflect from how **** the government is.