Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Estuary »

A small ray of sunshine onto this sea of dark piss. I have a friend (well I do!) who is immune compromised, she takes drugs to keep her own immune system from killing her good cells and so allow a relatively normal life and they gave covid an open goal. She is triple vaxxed, and is highly conscientious in how she lives her life because of her vulnerability. She coped the Delta variant and went down hill rapid and into ICU. her prognosis was very poor, and as the Mother of two teenage girls she was steeling herself for the very worst.
The new anti viral covid drug was licenced for use in late December, she was the first UK recipient, I forgot to ask her which one it was, and as a result of treatment with it has made a swift recovery - from ICU to sitting having tea with me in WC1 in three weeks.
Remarkable.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

Estuary wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:17 pm A small ray of sunshine onto this sea of dark piss. I have a friend (well I do!) who is immune compromised, she takes drugs to keep her own immune system from killing her good cells and so allow a relatively normal life and they gave covid an open goal. She is triple vaxxed, and is highly conscientious in how she lives her life because of her vulnerability. She coped the Delta variant and went down hill rapid and into ICU. her prognosis was very poor, and as the Mother of two teenage girls she was steeling herself for the very worst.
The new anti viral covid drug was licenced for use in late December, she was the first UK recipient, I forgot to ask her which one it was, and as a result of treatment with it has made a swift recovery - from ICU to sitting having tea with me in WC1 in three weeks.
Remarkable.
That's fantastic to hear mate, my Mum suffers from Sarcoidosis, which severely compromises her immune system.

She is also a frontline Nurse who loves her job, she's is quadruple vaxxed (as of Saturday) but still she is living in absolute fear of catching this thing, she's been offered the antiviral drug should she catch it, so this will be music to her ears.

Glad your friend is ok, and thanks for sharing.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm assuming we're talking about paxlovid?
Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:35 pm I'm assuming we're talking about paxlovid
Sorry but I was in such elated shock when I was told I didn't take in which one. I'll ask her.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Wee Jimmy Lad loosening restrictions for the jocks next week. A notice she quietly changed the definition of "fully vaxxed" while she was at it through...
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Denbighammer wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:04 pm Wee Jimmy Lad loosening restrictions for the jocks next week. A notice she quietly changed the definition of "fully vaxxed" while she was at it through...
"Upon providing a binding commitment to vote SNP at the next five general elections and support Indyref II/III/IV/V, you may be allowed a 15 minute socially distance walk, as long as it is not during curfew hours."
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Denbighammer wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:04 pm
loosening restrictions for the jocks next week.
sounds like it was painful :smiler:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

At my nieces school in Essex (nr Colchester) half the class are off already with covid including one kid that was off a month ago to the day with covid. That must be a different variant right? (Omnicrom and delta)
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Denbighammer wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:04 pm Wee Jimmy Lad loosening restrictions for the jocks next week. A notice she quietly changed the definition of "fully vaxxed" while she was at it through...

Covid did Ross County a huge favour as 500 people were allowed in to watch them .
Double their normal attendance . :coolas:
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

Georgee Paris wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 pm At my nieces school in Essex (nr Colchester) half the class are off already with covid including one kid that was off a month ago to the day with covid. That must be a different variant right? (Omnicrom and delta)
Or a chance for Winter sun. Not suggesting of course anyone would falsely claim to have covid-19 and take kids out of school in term time and not pay a fine. Every day is essential after all in education.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

666 hammer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:27 am Or a chance for Winter sun. Not suggesting of course anyone would falsely claim to have covid-19 and take kids out of school in term time and not pay a fine. Every day is essential after all in education.
The cynic in me thought this as soon as I read it. Especially now things have become a little easier to travel.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Georgee Paris wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 pm At my nieces school in Essex (nr Colchester) half the class are off already with covid including one kid that was off a month ago to the day with covid. That must be a different variant right? (Omnicrom and delta)
I thought if you'd had covid then you couldn't test for 90 days after as residual infection can make the test still show positive? In short, it's impossible to get covid twice in such a short space of time
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I took my kid out of school for a winter holiday and didn't get fined.

Edit: I didn't pretend he had covid either. I was honest and told them I was taking him on holiday.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Denbighammer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:28 am I thought if you'd had covid then you couldn't test for 90 days after as residual infection can make the test still show positive? In short, it's impossible to get covid twice in such a short space of time
Quick dabs on some cheap package "holibobs" say otherwise.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I expect people are playing the system all over the place

Some people saying they have got Covid when they haven't to get out of school/ work etc, and some people saying they haven't got Covid when they have to be able to carry on going to work/ school/ events etc

I cant say i blame anyone for how they deal with the situation now. It has been two long years and people have their own personal circumstances they need to manage in the best way for them
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

COVID solved with readily available substance. Probably. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35007072/

wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

EvilC wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:25 am COVID solved with readily available substance. Probably. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35007072/
Covid-420
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

The EMA published a report yesterday stating that "frequent use of the booster jab could adversely effect the immune system". With frequent they mean every four months.

Bit late for some of the people of Israel unfortunately, who are now on there second jab within 6 months :chin:
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 775 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

weirdly enough, nobody in my direct family has gotten covid. neither of my parents, brother, two sisters or their kids, while two of their partners (and most of their families) have gotten it in some form or another. they all live in and around london too.

honestly wouldn't mind a dose of the chronic just to buttress me against whatever comes next.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

paulhs1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:33 am The EMA published a report yesterday stating that "frequent use of the booster jab could adversely effect the immune system". With frequent they mean every four months.

Bit late for some of the people of Israel unfortunately, who are now on there second jab within 6 months :chin:
This is one of the things I was afraid would happen. I don't want to be better protected against COVID at the expense of being less protected against everything else.