Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Greatest Hits Vol1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:44 am Or they may be ill themselves and not want spread germs. I think that is the point of the mask.
Boils my p*** when this is the case, we've proven we can work in our industry from home and have a very pro hybrid working leadership team here so there really is no need for anyone to come in if they were ill. I certainly wouldnt and couldnt think of anything worse than commuting it, sitting in a mask at a desk all day when I could just be working comfortably at home.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

China abruptly ends its zero covid policy.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Just as China loosens control it runs out of fever medicine
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Main news that some countries are now checking Chinese visitors.

To be honest ive got through Christmas with probably 30% of friends and family having it over last few weeks and the rest of us some sort of nasty or prolonged cold.

I'm not too worried at the moment. I particularly think the bad colds are a result of two years of isolation.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

On a more serious note I really hope our government has learned from past mistakes and stops flights from China.
bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard »

Bbc news analysis stated this:

When there is lots of virus circulating in any population, there will be opportunities for it to change or mutate in potentially harmful ways.
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

UK won't ban or make restrictions on flights from China in case China gets upset, don't worry about the consequences
Johnny Byrne's Boots

China restrictions 'under review'
The UK government is reviewing whether to introduce Covid restrictions on visitors from China, the defence secretary has said.

Ben Wallace said the Department for Transport would take medical advice and talk to the Department of Health.

Earlier, an ex-health minister urged the government to consider testing arrivals from China for Covid.

A number of countries are introducing mandatory testing in response to China's coronavirus surge.

Asked whether the government would consider restrictions, Mr Wallace said: "The government is looking at that, it's under review, we noticed obviously what the US has done and India and I think Italy has looked at it."

"We keep under review all the time, obviously, health threats to the UK, wherever they may be."

more...
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

So they haven't learnt then. How many flights are landing whilst they review it?

They won't test because they know they'll find something and then have to deal with it, ****ing cowardly twats.......
bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard »

The good thing is as well as vaccinations we have lots of natural immunity.

My daughter tested herself tonight as can't taste anything. Tested positive. No panic here, rest of family had it mid December. Worst case scenario is having cold symptoms for most of us.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Good to see out government has learnt its lessons from 2020 and has acted boldly, swiftly and decided to do naff all :fsake:
Johnny Byrne's Boots

UK set to require negative test for arrivals from China
The UK is set to announce that passengers coming from China will have to provide a negative Covid test before they travel to Britain.

The UK has become the latest nation to bring in screening for travellers from China after cases surged following Beijing's decision to relax its zero-Covid policy.

China has said it will fully reopen its borders on 8 January.

Several countries, including the US and India, are also bringing in testing.

It is understood the UK will demand a negative test before travellers can board a flight from mainland China - bringing Britain into line with the approach taken by the US.

While the announcement has not yet been formally made, the UK defence secretary confirmed on Friday that the government was reviewing the need for testing for passengers from China.

more...
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

People say the government is inefficient but they’ve pulled off a complete U-turn in around 24 hours despite it being holiday season. Textbook.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

I haven't been paying attention so I've genuinely got no idea.
I assume there have been flights arriving from China daily since lockdown ended. Were negative tests required before? Was it just the Chinese "working class" who were forced to comply with their zero covid nonsense?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Junco Partner wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:11 pm Good to see out government has learnt its lessons from 2020 and has acted boldly, swiftly and decided to do naff all :fsake:
Five hours later and they say Chinese travellers will require a negative test. I assume you think this is excellent governance. Theur action has been swift and decisive and they have learnt from the lessons of the past?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

While the announcement has not yet been formally made...
Still waiting, in the meantime how many plane loads have landed in the last few days? How many more before the measures come into play, if they do?
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I’m sure everything will go swimmingly with Border Force on strike 🤣
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Denbighammer wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:48 pm Five hours later and they say Chinese travellers will require a negative test. I assume you think this is excellent governance. Theur action has been swift and decisive and they have learnt from the lessons of the past?
Couldn't announce it until they had decided who was getting the dodgy government contract for the tests
Johnny Byrne's Boots

New variant worries US
A new Covid sub-variant is causing some concern in the US, where it is spreading rapidly.

It is yet another offshoot of the globally dominant Omicron Covid variant, which itself followed the earlier alpha, beta, gamma and delta variants.

Omicron has outperformed all previous versions of coronavirus since it emerged in late 2021, and has given rise to many sub-variants which are even more contagious than the original.

Symptoms of XBB.1.5 are thought to be similar to those of previous Omicron strains, but it's still too early to confirm this. Most people experience cold-like symptoms.

Scientists from the World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed on Wednesday that XBB.1.5 has a "growth advantage" above all other sub-variants seen so far.

But they said there was no indication it was more serious or harmful than previous Omicron variants.

The WHO said it would keep a close watch on lab studies, hospital data and infection rates to find out more about its impact on patients.

more...
Should we require negative tests from USA travellers?