Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DrVenk
Has liked: 362 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by DrVenk »

So, um, yeah...
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

No matter what happens there won’t be no more restrictions, I think the majority of people won’t accept going back to being restricted. The government, already ****ed know they don’t have the goodwill to even think about implementing it, and financially we just can’t afford it.

It’s a case of get jabbed and carry on, it’s up to yourself to deem whether you go out, wear a mask or whatever else

Everyone else simply have to try and keep things going. I think the media are avoiding any covid news right now for the simple fact that times are so tough for many currently, the last thing they need to hear is this
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

7 day average COVID admissions in England are falling. Weekly COVID prevalence estimates for England are falling. What's not to like?

PS. I had my flu and COVID jabs two weeks ago. I'm ready.
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:41 am 7 day average COVID admissions in England are falling. Weekly COVID prevalence estimates for England are falling. What's not to like?
The lag in non-COVID related deaths and the fact that the medical community (again) is having its concerns suppressed/ignored.

COVID per se is not the issue anymore. It's whether we have the humility, desire, and evidence bases to look back evaluate how we responded, what worked and what didn't, and how we can improve institutional and medical responses to something that will undoubtedly happen again, i.e. trying to improve government (which some unfortunately see as an excuse for a political witch-hunt).

Much like Brexit, there is a political temptation to keep head down and just plough on without looking back. At King's we're getting this response over and over again from political representatives. You mention either Brexit or Lockdown and they glaze over and go "but hindsight is a wonderful thing...we need to move on" blah blah. No. We need to learn and improve institutional responses so we do better in the future. Politics again getting in the way of good governance.

As Dr Campbell above alludes to (and with his previous video on COVID first cases), the proper channels of enquiry and utilisation of knowledge bases out there are just being ignored. We're world leaders in health and medicine in the UK. I just wish the government would work more closely with broad range of health and medical expertise (rather than a dubious select few) to get a proper large scale evaluation process underway for how we responded.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2499 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Covid response was about "saving the NHS" and avoiding a repetition of the scenes in China and Italy.

As much as it's reasonable to debate whether lockdown was necessary, and most certainly the design and extent of it, I think the NHS would probably have keeled over on one or two occasions without it, especially Dec 20 /Jan 21.

Acute, short term pain deferred to be replaced by chronic long term difficulties.

Same thing has happened with the banking/financial crises in the UK/Eurozone between 2007 and 2012 and the policy responses.

Crisis management government.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Campbell is a crank who perpetuates misinformation. Nobody credible cites him.
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

York Ham(mer) wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:18 am Campbell is a crank who perpetuates misinformation. Nobody credible cites him.
Wow. And your medical credentials are?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Child speech delays increase following lockdowns

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-63373804

Sendo Jrs #2 and #3 (aged 6 and 4) both suffer from speech delay in different forms and need speech therapy, but it's been almost non existant and extremely difficult to get them into. #2 is now in year 1 and is getting increasingly frustrated because his teacher (who, frankly, sounds like a ****ing idiot) cannot understand him.

I said at the time forcing kids to stay indoors and miss crucial parts of their development would have a long term impact, and it seems these issues are starting to manifest themselves.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

sendô wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:24 pm I said at the time forcing kids to stay indoors and miss crucial parts of their development would have a long term impact, and it seems these issues are starting to manifest themselves.
It is not just at the younger end. You can see it in the 16-19 apprentices I (mainly) deal with, they have major weaknesses with assessment/exams (having largely skipped the experience or having them diluted post Covid.) Recent cohorts are really struggling with the work week 9-530 after spending most of their mid-teens in bed and at home, sickness, lateness and afternoon poor performance are rife (with an increase in mental health and sleep issues - a big one.) We are doing all we can to help them ( but there is a business to run) and it is not their fault, hopefully they will catch-up but there is real damage here.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

G20; free movement now for those who can prove vaccination.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:50 pm G20; free movement now for those who can prove vaccination.
I thought you didn't need to prove it anymore, I wasn't asked when I went to Spain in May
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:50 pm G20; free movement now for those who can prove vaccination.
Whether the vaccine protects me or not, it gives me the confidence to travel on trains or worry about being in big crowds. And there we have it. I've caught covid twice, both times I felt rough but I don't need to live in fear.

Not to say I couldn't die of it it but I think my chances of being knocked down are higher. So it's irrelevant.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

It is some statement/declaration they have made tonight.
Phil S
Has liked: 459 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:48 pm It is some statement/declaration they have made tonight.

what's been said?
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I've not been keeping up with this... in fact I've not really give COVID a second thought for months. What kind of vaccination do you need to prove? The original jabs? Or the continuing boosters?
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Since the May this year I've been to Ireland, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and UAE for work. France and UAE asked for proof of jabs before travel. None of the others did. It does seem to be a bit hit and miss. USA definitely ask as I've an upcoming trip there and I've been asked to prove I've been vaccinated and when.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Hammer1966 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:13 pm Since the May this year I've been to Ireland, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and UAE for work. France and UAE asked for proof of jabs before travel. None of the others did. It does seem to be a bit hit and miss. USA definitely ask as I've an upcoming trip there and I've been asked to prove I've been vaccinated and when.
We are due to go to USA in August, ( 8 of us ) we haven't had any boosters for a year, does this mean we cannot go?
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:26 pm I've not been keeping up with this... in fact I've not really give COVID a second thought for months. What kind of vaccination do you need to prove? The original jabs? Or the continuing boosters?
I think it's a proposal to build on what they have tried out with covid. Essentially working towards digital vaccine passports and such like. Not sure it applies now but it's an 'emergency' measure that they seem to be looking to make an ongoing thing if required.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63771109

The Chinese leadership have gone mad. To think when the pandemic started China was being accused of starting it deliberately for it's own gain.

How can you expect citizens, even brainwashed ones, to tolerate endless lockdowns? For what? They must have data that shows this strain is less deadly.

Zero covid is just taking citizens towards civil unrest. Crazy.