✍ Welcome Tomas Soucek

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MAC08
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Re: Welcome Tomas Soucek

Post by MAC08 »

The end of season goals video shows plenty of evidence of why we need to keep Tomas.

Most of the time he was playing when his head was hanging off!

Such a strong and brave lad and there were many important goals that he scored.

I must admit that he scored more than I remembered
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2707 likes

Post by sendô »

I doubt Kral cost a great deal, and it was probably a bit of a punt based on Soucek's recommendation as a 4th choice centre mid.

I wouldn't read too much into it re Soucek's place in the squad.
The hayfield
Has liked: 416 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by The hayfield »

Il be astonished if hes sold . Yes he isn't a great passer but he offers far more than that . wouldn't surprise me if it's Moyes kidology . Fergie always did the same .
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

He’s so often back in a position cutting passing lanes allowing us to regroup after an attack it’s ridiculous.

It’s one of those roles you don’t really see unless specifically watching out for it, and it certainly wouldn’t show on isolated stats.

More important to the starting XI than most realise is our Czech Warrior.

I also think he’s been a brilliant partner to support Rice’s stratospheric growth into a world class midfielder.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

I'd be really disappointed if we flog him.

Hopefully Moyes hasn't been told to sell to buy...
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Who knows. Make a mammoth profit on Tom and maybe we can afford someone with the defensive qualities and a better passing game. If he wants a big pay hike and wants a guarantee starting place then he might have to look elsewhere.
The hayfield
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by The hayfield »

Il be astonished if it's sell to buy . Even pezza has said we have 150m plus available . And I've never known him to be wrong . Moyes looked proper pissed off with plenty of players at the end of the season . I genuinely believe moysie wants to win things . Which is a massive breath of fresh air compared to every manager since lyall. Except pardew .
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3087 likes

Post by MB »

If it is contract related and the right offer came in then I'd sell. For footballing reasons not so much...

NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by NedN »

Tbf, he’s a defensive midfielder who has been, on average, on pace to score 6-10 goals a season. This includes his 3 in 13 games of the season we fought of relegation (his first in the league), 10 last year, and 6 this year in a season where he was impacted by fatigue. The one thing I’ll say is that a lot of the mistakes Tomas made this year, were the kinds of mistakes that often can be caused by his fatigue.

Looking at his value to the team, our shortage in CM (if he leaves we need at least 2 more) and what others are on, etc, not to mention the fact that his contract runs until 2024 with the option of another year, Rice will likely leave during Souceks remaining or extended contract term, effectively making him even more crucial as a player to us, and we’re effectively asking him to sign onto a longer contract (which would likely mean he wouldn’t be a free agent again until his early 30s, probably past his last opportunity for a big cash-in), I don’t necessarily think he’s in the wrong to ask for more (on some level).

Whether we should pay him this is a separate matter, and likely dependent on factors that we don’t know about (how much more is he asking for, what is the requested payment structure, how aggressive are the negotiations, is he demanding a starting spot, etc). In short I don’t blame his camp for pushing a hard bargain, and hopefully we can reach a reasonable deal.
WestSamToo
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by WestSamToo »

I hope the rumoured bust up is all just paper talk sh!te.

His work rate and defensive vision are fantastic and he also has a great instinctive eye for goal.

He can frustrate when he has time on the ball in midfield but that's not his strength. If he was a slick, incisive passer like de Bruyne, he would be the ultimate midfielder and would be elsewhere.

Also, if he f*cks off, will Coufal and Kretinsky f*ck off too?
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

WestSamToo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:14 am I hope the rumoured bust up is all just paper talk sh!te.

His work rate and defensive vision are fantastic and he also has a great instinctive eye for goal.

He can frustrate when he has time on the ball in midfield but that's not his strength. If he was a slick, incisive passer like de Bruyne, he would be the ultimate midfielder and would be elsewhere.

Also, if he f*cks off, will Coufal and Kretinsky f*ck off too?
Kretinsky would have to be a mentalist to invest in West Ham just because Tomas Soucek plays for us.
WestSamToo
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by WestSamToo »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:16 am Kretinsky would have to be a mentalist to invest in West Ham just because Tomas Soucek plays for us.
:smiler: true but the appeal of Soucek and his potato salad, Coufal the warrior doing a number on Grealish and the Czech Ambassador coming on board, raising money for the Isla Caton fund was all really strong at the time.
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by fester »

I have been frustrated with Soucek this season, but I have been more frustrated with him not getting any sort of rest. This is down to Moyes, or is it down to Moyes juggling with a paper-thin squad because of the purse strings? I'd be really happy if Soucek stayed and was used for 3/4 of the games. I would be equally happy if he wanted to leave and we replaced him with a player with most of his best attributes that had better ball control and who could spot, and execute, a pass.

I can't believe Moyes is in a rush to sell him. I would think we need additions to the squad in place of fringe players not replacing 1st teamers. How would that improve us sufficiently? If he is angling for a move or will be upset at not getting a massive contract upgrade, that's a different matter.

I honestly don't believe we will improve the squad until next summer. £150 million to spend? If Pezza believes that, I'm inclined to believe it too but my gut feeling says not a ****ing chance in hell.

I don't think Moyes will be here at the end of the season. We will win the Conference league and get relegated. Then come back up with Frank Lampard as our manager, with Paul Ince & Jermaine Defoe as coaches. :clown:
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

It wasnt that long ago that Moyes was singing the praises of Soucek and Coufal and how there professionalism had been one of the big changes around the club and a massive influence on the other players. Don't get the negativity around them at all, seems like bar Rice and Dawson our fan base would move on every single other player.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Arch Dandy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:48 am It wasnt that long ago that Moyes was singing the praises of Soucek and Coufal and how there professionalism had been one of the big changes around the club and a massive influence on the other players. Don't get the negativity around them at all, seems like bar Rice and Dawson our fan base would move on every single other player.
Rice, Bowen, Zouma (based on talent), Fornals

Every other player is available at the right price for me. That includes Soucek. I actually think he’s probably one of the best ‘sell high’ candidates in our squad at the moment relative to his actual ability.

But this doesn’t mean I’m negative on him or want to sell him. Would be more than happy to see him stay and continue to contribute. Just that if Moyes is considering selling him for something like £45m, I am also more than ok with that.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 1308 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

MB wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:10 pm If it is contract related and the right offer came in then I'd sell. For footballing reasons not so much...

Articles like this do my nut. He’s got two more years with an option of a third.

Just don’t do a new deal and move on.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

the only thing wrong with soucek is that he needs a rest. him and rice looked knackered in the last few games. we need to add to our CM not sell a first teamer. no doubt coventry will be added to the squad for the first half of the season. we still need at least one to come in , brownhill would enable us to rotate a bit better than last season when there was no alternative apart from a fading noble and a non starter kral !

hopefully deals for aguerd, basey, brownhill and potter-keane are well underway and can be announced asap when the window opens.
that would leave the big one; a new striker to be done next. antonio is declining and cant be expected to start our games regularly. we need a new number 9.
That means spening big on one of abraham, toney,broja watkins or nunez.
rumours of broja at 25m but he is 19 and just starting his career. destroyed our defence a few times last season but then didnt do much else.
we need someone ready to start and do well instantly. that narrows it down but increases the fee.
abrahams, toney or watkins. each will be 40-50m. hopefully we get one in soon
add lingard and we are sorted for strikers - antonio, new CF bowen lingard okoflex.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2682 likes
Total likes: 1780 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

If we sell Tomas we may be looking at replacing not only him but Coufal too - that means having to buy 2 x CMs and another Right Back .

The plan is suppose to be adding to the First X1 NOT losing even more .

If Moyes can find someone who will get through the amount of work that Soucek does for less money then good luck to him -
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1363 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:22 am Articles like this do my nut. He’s got two more years with an option of a third.

Just don’t do a new deal and move on.
Agreed! Bring in Bissouma and have 3 quality midfielders sharing the load. Tell Soucek that means he won’t be flogged to death, so we expect more of his first season performances, give us that, qualify for Europe for a third season and you can have your £80k new contract.
Puncher12
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Puncher12 »

fester wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:45 am I have been frustrated with Soucek this season, but I have been more frustrated with him not getting any sort of rest. This is down to Moyes, or is it down to Moyes juggling with a paper-thin squad because of the purse strings?

Exactly my sentiments, either way, I don't think he's a bad footballer.