✍ Welcome Tomas Soucek

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Re: Welcome Tomas Soucek

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Chuffed for big Tom :newthumb:

Soucek is an interesting debate when we play mid to bottom table teams when we have more of the ball, he starts (for me) everytime against the bigger teams. Just really chuffed for him last night, he cares and wears the shirt with pride and always puts the hard yards in.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Took his goal really well last night and his passing, which is much maligned, was much improved. Hopefully he keeps this up as he is such an important player for us.

Also, love the fact that him and Coufal (who also had a decent game) walked round the whole pitch clapping the fans afterwards.

They may not be world beaters but they are triers and they care.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1364 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

With Rice reverting to a more defensive role and Paqueta’s sheer ability demanding attention from the opposition I think we’ll see more goals from Tom as he gets back to making those late runs into the box. He never shirks a challenge and as ever his running stats are superb, he’ll be the unsung hero in a midfield trio with Dec & Lucas, but no less a vital ingredient.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

Diogenes
Has liked: 478 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

An important cog in our wheel of success.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Starting to go through the gears isn't he? Reckon he'll be flying in a couple of weeks and then he can go at it full pelt until what is probably the longest break from football he'll have had in 3-4 years during the World Cup.

Something that came to mind late in yesterday's game. When we have situations where the game slows right down for us to take a goal kick or a deep free kick, I feel like we'd be much better served by him stepping into the centre forward position and Antonio dropping a bit deeper. He's way more likely to win the header and it's not like he offers a huge amount when Antonio does win the odd knock down.
norse
Has liked: 380 likes
Total likes: 838 likes

Post by norse »

"Back on the track"
Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

That's two games in a week where he's played really well. Looks like his form is back.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Thought he was offering very little by way of help to Rice in the middle for the first half of the game, industrious but ineffective. Shortly before he scored, I said to those around me that he needed to be doing a bit more in there... absolutely delighted to see him push forward and make an impact shortly after those words left my mouth. Cue a few verbal digs at me from those around me for 'slagging him off' (which I wasn't, just stating fact), but so pleased to see him prove that he certainly can do more.

I take full credit for the goal, best commentator curse ever!

That is Soucek at his best, he needs to be more advanced, driving into the box and getting on the end of things. Not stuck under Rice's feet or dropping deep to pick the ball up.

Really think a midfield four of Bowen Paquita Soucek and Cornet is going to be the way to go. Rice sitting behind them clearing up and picking passes off like an American QB and a striker in front of them linking it all up.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5672 likes
Total likes: 3095 likes

Post by MB »

Having Kehrer behind him is helping massively I think. He stepped forward a few times and was almost playing CDM when we had the ball. It gave Soucek more license to get forward and the confidence that he had someone behind him who could play the pass and also mop up if needed.

We still need to work on the balance of the side as we are prone to being caught in the transition phase, but hopefully that will come with a better player in front of Rice and Soucek so Rice can focus more on the end he influences!
miles
This site...
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 421 likes

Post by miles »

S-H wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:16 am

Errr we love you Tommy err score more goals please errr errr here have some more potato salad errr errr
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2611 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Class.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

It's only one small aspect of the game, but TS's tackling/interception stats are on par with our skipper's currently.

MB

Re: ✍ Tomas Soucek

Post by MB »

Interesting UTJ. Everyone’s favourite right back features as well…
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

I'm not sure I've seen one single person saying that there is a problem with Soucek's breaking up of opposition play to be fair. From that list Palhinha, Neves and McAllister are all significantly better on the ball whilst still being able defensively. That is what we lack IMO
Last edited by Whufc06 on Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claretnblueglasses
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by claretnblueglasses »

He most certainly has his uses, just his cons currently (and for some time now) outweigh his pros. Same with Coufal.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

MB wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:17 pm Interesting UTJ. Everyone’s favourite right back features as well…
Receives ball.
Miss-controls ball.
Gives ball away.
Has to make tackle in order to win ball.

Receives ball.
Controls ball.
Passes to opponent.
Has to make a tackle in order to win ball.
MB

Post by MB »

Whufc06 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:19 pm I'm not sure I've seen one single person saying that there is a problem with Soucek's breaking up of opposition play to be fair. From that list Palhinha, Neves and McAllister are all significantly better on the ball whilst still being able defensively. That is what we lack IMO
But they are all less of a goal threat and worse in the air. Bring in one of those types and we’ll lack in those categories instead.

Solve one problem, create another.
MB

Post by MB »

S-H wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:24 pm Receives ball.
Miss-controls ball.
Gives ball away.
Has to make tackle in order to win ball.

Receives ball.
Controls ball.
Passes to opponent.
Has to make a tackle in order to win ball.
Your favourite movie is Mean Girls.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

MB wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:32 pm But they are all less of a goal threat and worse in the air. Bring in one of those types and we’ll lack in those categories instead.

Solve one problem, create another.
Of course on paper that is true but it could be that by having a more press resistant and progressive CM instead the forward players will receive the ball in better areas and be more of a goal threat themselves. There's no certainty either way but it's definitely the time to explore that possibility IMO