✍ Welcome Tomas Soucek

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Re: Welcome Tomas Soucek

Post by Diogenes »

Last night he had a monster of a game. The tactics/strategy suited him and he was a colossus.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

pass accuracy 83%
3 tackles
1 interceptions
5 clearances
2 blocked shots
3 shots
2 sot
1 goal

8.50 rating on WhoScored

busy night for Big Tom

I'm glad our appartment is solid concrete and re-bar.

no next door exactly neighbours only above and below. even so I'm sure pretty much everyone on the floor above, below and on this floor heard me yesterday afternoon.

glad with out time difference it was a 3-5 p.m. slot

:crylol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The look on his face when he scored the opener was brilliant.

Two facial injuries, to date, the last really nasty.

Still goes about his game as if it never happened.

Midfield warrior.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I've read a lot of Soucek this season vs last and the fact he hasn't scored much due to playing a deeper role. I've just had a look at the stats on whoscored, comparing this seasons league stats to last season. Whilst he does have a lower 'shots per game' than last season, it's not by much. Last season it was 1.7, this season it's 1.4. It seems he's still getting in the box plenty of times despite claims to the contrary. I think it's just a case of him being a bit unluckier in front of goal this season. The difference that did jump out at me when comparing the two season was headers won. This season it's on 3.8 per game whereas last season it was a massive 6.2. His tackling and interception stats are virtually the same as they were last season. His stats for blocks and clearances (which you'd expect to be higher for a more defensive player) shows no significant difference between last season and this. From a more attacking point of view, his number of assists is currently the same as it was last season (1) and his key passes per game has actually slightly improved from last season.

What I'd like to see is the number of touches in attacking / defending areas... but from the stats I can see, I'm not sure I can see an awful lot that backs up the opinion that he's been asked to play a more defensive role. His defensive performances don't appear any different to last and he's still making plenty of runs into the box. They're just not going in as much this season. In fact, I'd say that recently, I've seen him involved in attacking moves quite frequently and seen him making plenty of runs in the right wing area in the same way as Rice makes those runs on the left. The difference is Soucek isn't very good at it!
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

He was an unknown last year, defences didn't know how to prepare or handle him. But now the opposition know what a threat he is, there's significant attention given to him when he comes into the box to attack, it's how Soucek counters that which I think he's now got over and starting to find his best form again.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

hammers92 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:24 am He was an unknown last year, defences didn't know how to prepare or handle him. But now the opposition know what a threat he is, there's significant attention given to him when he comes into the box to attack, it's how Soucek counters that which I think he's now got over and starting to find his best form again.
I actually think he is getting chances but not been finishing them this season.
I recall quite a few times this season I would have expected him to score (based on last seasons performances).

Per 90 he has a lower chance conversion, shot accuracy, on target.
He is getting slightly less chances, but not as significantly as his drop.

As you say, hopefully he is finding his form in front of goal and continues to bag a few key goals.

https://www.squawka.com/en/comparison-matrix/
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

hammers92 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:24 am He was an unknown last year, defences didn't know how to prepare or handle him. But now the opposition know what a threat he is, there's significant attention given to him when he comes into the box to attack, it's how Soucek counters that which I think he's now got over and starting to find his best form again.
Fairly sure he was figured out on the 2nd half of last season.

From memory he scored 7 of his 10 in the first half of the season. Or at least pre Lingard.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Was he figured out, or did we re-calibrate the team into a counter-attacking force, with Lingard's arrival?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:37 am Was he figured out, or did we re-calibrate the team into a counter-attacking force, with Lingard's arrival?
I thought the latter for sure, but his goalscoring form has somewhat dried up this season too.

Fortunately his stamina, reading of the game, blocks, interceptions, aerial duels etc. Are still vital to our game.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:37 am Was he figured out, or did we re-calibrate the team into a counter-attacking force, with Lingard's arrival?
Or did a majority of his goals come from set pieces. They are still being scored but shared around the team.

Don't know the stats for that.

You could also argue that 10 goals, particularly a high level from open play is an unsustainable output for a defensive midfielder or really any midfielder at our level.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

El brooko79 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:50 am Or did a majority of his goals come from set pieces. They are still being scored but shared around the team.
4 of his 10 goals last season were from set-pieces

2 of his 4 goals this season are from set-pieces.

So the ratio isn't much different.

Interestingly, only 4 of his 14 goals so far have been with his head
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Anyone that doesnt rate Soucek doesnt quite understand the game of football and thinks every player should be a wizard, its as simple as that

He's worth his weight in gold and plays a huge part in Rice being able to be the player he is
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

chalks wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:05 am Anyone that doesnt rate Soucek doesnt quite understand the game of football and thinks every player should be a wizard, its as simple as that

He's worth his weight in gold and plays a huge part in Rice being able to be the player he is
Not sure anyone is not rating him mate.
A healthy debate as to why his output is different from last season seems fair for a forum.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

El brooko79 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:12 am Not sure anyone is not rating him mate.
A healthy debate as to why his output is different from last season seems fair for a forum.
There are enough not rating him to be fair

Good debate though :newthumb:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

soucek coming good in front of goal again is directly linked to Rice staying away from the goal, both doing what they are good at.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:16 pm soucek coming good in front of goal again is directly linked to Rice staying away from the goal, both doing what they are good at.
This is what I'm not so sure about. Soucek has been making runs into the box all season regardless of his supposed role. Rice rarely makes runs into the box, also regardless of his role. I honestly think he's simply had a bit more luck recently. There have been many times before that where he's come close.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:16 pm soucek coming good in front of goal again is directly linked to Rice staying away from the goal, both doing what they are good at.
An argument i've never quite understood is 'Rice harms Soucek by pushing forward too much'

Rice is the best player we've had in donkeys. He is at his best picking the ball up and surging past players, driving us forward. I would hate us to limit his abilities by telling him just to sit and stay away from the goal, just so we can suit Soucek.

Plus, I don't see any direct comparison between the two. Against Seville Declan was at his brilliant best pushing us up the pitch and yet Soucek still managed to find himself getting into the box and scoring.

The reason Soucek hasn't scored as many this season, than last is because hes not taken his opportunities when they've been presented, whereas last season he was ridiculously clinical in front of goal, it's nothing to do with Declan.

That being said, Both are having great seasons.
From the Stow
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by From the Stow »

Great finish this week against Wales, really good hit
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I think it is partly the quality of delivery, which generally this year is not as good as last year. To be fair to Soucek, when you see him live he takes up some terrific positions in the box, but the delivery is often very poor.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

out of interest did Kraal play at all ?