Birds ... the feathery ones!!

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Re: Birds ... the feathery ones!!

Post by EvilC »

We were camping at Bodiam this weekend and were fortunate enough to see a sparrowhawk hunting in the next field.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

EvilC wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:48 pm We were camping at Bodiam this weekend and were fortunate enough to see a sparrowhawk hunting in the next field.
We had one bring down a Collared Dove in the garden the other day - it spent half an hour on the patio ripping the thing to shreds and eating the flesh. Clearing up the feathers was a right pain.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

I had a similar clean up with a pigeon in my garden a couple of years back. Apparently they eat them head first. :shock:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

EvilC wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:23 pm I had a similar clean up with a pigeon in my garden a couple of years back. Apparently they eat them head first. :shock:
Our cat used to do that. Would catch them and bite their heads off, swallow the head, beak and all, and then mooch off leaving the rest on the floor.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:10 pm Our cat used to do that. Would catch them and bite their heads off, swallow the head, beak and all, and then mooch off leaving the rest on the floor.
Yes, my cat starts with the head first, crunch, crunch & works her way down..(not usually a pigeon or collared dove, I might add).
Little sh*t..
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Sssssshhhh , there's woodpecker on one of the dead branches of our Elder tree at the bottom of the garden .
rigoberts song
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 344 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Green or greater spotted Tomos ?
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2609 likes
Total likes: 937 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:57 pm We had one bring down a Collared Dove in the garden the other day - it spent half an hour on the patio ripping the thing to shreds and eating the flesh. Clearing up the feathers was a right pain.
We had one do similar a couple of years ago but it at the whole thing, feathers and all.
Last edited by pablo jaye on Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

rigoberts song wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:33 pm Green or greater spotted Tomos ?

It was drizzling so difficult to say but I think it was a Great Spotted - I caught a bit of red .

I went to take a photograph but could have done with my 70-300mm [ I had my trusted 16-85mm fitted ] and as I focused it got attacked by a blackbird . :grin:

Every morning [ and throughout the day ] I am greeted by 3 blackbirds at my kitchen window - they won't leave until they're fed !! :grin:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

There's a little busted a few doors down
rigoberts song
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 344 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Led my first birdwatching walk yesterday saw 31 different species.
Highlight's were a snipe treecreeper goldcrest fieldfare redwing dipper and goosander.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

The dipper has become my favourite bird.
At daybreak the small section of the brook running through this end of town, is the regular breakfast cafe for a pair. I watch for them every morning, and I guess their pairing up ready for spring, I've yet to hear their (very rare) mating song, but maybe one morning...

rigoberts song wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:20 pm Led my first birdwatching walk yesterday saw 31 different species.
Highlight's were a snipe treecreeper goldcrest fieldfare redwing dipper and goosander.
I'd never even heard of the last one and am applying the old green eyeshadow regarding your trip generally.

Looking at a picture of one, looks a bit like an acquatic magpie ,albeit with a totally differently shaped beak.
jevs
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by jevs »

One of the most fantastic sounds is coming into work at 6am in the middle of winter and hearing the Thrushes singing their arses off
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2051 likes

Post by Shabu »

Do pelicans migrate?

Yesterday I was hiking around sunset cliffs and just before sunset i saw several groups of pelicans in a V shape flying south.

I'm used to seeing them flying in a single line in groups of about 11 to 13 but these were groups of 40 to 50 birds in a very distinct V.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Yes they do. But not the ones in St James Park, they do f*** all.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I was in St. James's Park one day some years ago looking at the pelicans. They're big buggers, so much so that one of them took a fancy to the gull next to it and ate it. In one go.

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:30 pm I was in St. James's Park one day some years ago looking at the pelicans. They're big buggers, so much so that one of them took a fancy to the gull next to it and ate it. In one go.
There was a photo once in, I think, The Standard, which showed a pelican with a pigeon's head poking out of his mouth.

One of those images that you couldn't unsee, after seeing it. Proper macabre. It really sent a shiver down my spine and I actually had a nightmare or two about it afterwards.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

On Woodpeckers: One in our garden at the weekend. Got it filmed but not techy enough to put on here. Small, mostly dark body but a white face with a small crest on its head. Looked like it was trying to peck bugs out of a tree. House backs onto forest so you do hear them occasionally.
Only other time I've seen one was in Noak Hill years ago, that one was definitely green and was walking awkwardly on grass - they've got long 'clown's feet' for clinging to tree trunks I suppose.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

jevs wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:22 pm One of the most fantastic sounds is coming into work at 6am in the middle of winter and hearing the Thrushes singing their arses off
I woke at 3 in the morning last night and I could hear the Blackbirds singing. I have no idea what makes them sing in the middle of the night and it only happens every now and then but it's a real joy.