Birds ... the feathery ones!!

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: Birds ... the feathery ones!!

Post by prophet:marginal »

Spotted over the Scilly Isles last week

An Egyptian vulture!
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

The wildlife here in the Lincs Wolds is pretty amazing.
We have all sorts in the garden, ranging from Goldcrests, Nuthatches, Goldfinches, woodpeckers long tailed tits, Owls & a small group of parakeets.
However there is one bird that drives us crackers. It sings 1 note "Twee....twee...twee..." over & over sometimes for hours on end.
I love birdsong, but it is the most annoying birdsong i've heard.
Anyone know how i can identify it, it doesn't come up in lists of common bird songs?
Last edited by Heysel76 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heysel76 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:11 am The wildlife here in the Lincs Wolds is pretty amazing.
We have all sorts in the garden, ranging from Goldcrests, Nuthatches, Goldfinches, long tailed tits & Owls.
However there is one bird that drives us crackers. It sings 1 note "Twee....twee...twee..." over & over sometimes for hours on end.
Anyone know how i can identify it, it doesn't come up in lists of common bird songs?
The male sparrow in the nest in our guttering makes a very similar call, the fat sod, whilst he's waiting for the smaller missus to fly back and forth around the gardens catching the food for their young'uns.

I just played this (below) to check it and, like clockwork, dad and the bins all called out in response to it :D

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:56 am Spotted over the Scilly Isles last week
An Egyptian vulture!
What the actual F??? Lived on St. Martin's for a few years in the 90's, and you would see the 'Twitchers' showing up when something rare was about. But this?

Link to story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-57483562
Last edited by vietnammer on Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heysel76

Post by Heysel76 »

Thanks PM,
It's not House Sparrows, we have quite a few nesting in our pantile roof. They are noisy, but i like it, as it reminds me of my childhood, when sparrows were the main voice in the dawn chorus.
The one i'm hearing, is 1 note repeated, from high up in a tree, i'll try to record it, but not sure how to post it on here?

vietnammer wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:27 pm What the actual F??? Lived on St. Martin's for a few years in the 90's, and you would see the 'Twitchers' showing up when something rare was about. But this?

Link to story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-57483562
I read the caption on one of the photo's too quickly and thought it said that the bird was photo'd in a tree at Tesco's :D
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

I've been lucky enough to go our jarring with a fellow birider the last few nights
That's watching Nightjars amazing unusual bird with a strange call .
Also got pied flycatchers in the woods round here
I'm in the wilds of Exmoor .
Plenty of stonechats and whinchats too .
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Saw a white tailed eagle last week, hovering over Chertsey. Stunningly beautiful (the eagle, not Chertsey).

Sparrows, house martins in abundance in our little garden at the moment. Make a wonderful tweety racket while I work.
Heysel76

Post by Heysel76 »

This is the very annoying bird song....any ideas?
this is the only sound it makes (as far as i know)
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Heysel76 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:11 am The wildlife here in the Lincs Wolds is pretty amazing.
We have all sorts in the garden, ranging from Goldcrests, Nuthatches, Goldfinches, woodpeckers long tailed tits, Owls & a small group of parakeets.
We have one of these, it might be a chaffinch? It is definitely a b*stard. Google “chaffinch rain song”. Then shoot the little ****er in the face.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:28 pm Saw a white tailed eagle last week, hovering over Chertsey. Stunningly beautiful (the eagle, not Chertsey).

Sparrows, house martins in abundance in our little garden at the moment. Make a wonderful tweety racket while I work.
Man that is awesome. My eldest would have had kittens if he had seen that.
Heysel76

Post by Heysel76 »

EvilC wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:03 pm We have one of these, it might be a chaffinch? It is definitely a b*stard. Google “chaffinch rain song”. Then shoot the little ****er in the face.
Well done, you've nailed it, i read the comments on youtube & it's not only me that it annoys!
Goes on for hours sometimes. Strangely enough, one flew into one of our double glazed units this morning & killed itself stone dead. However, there are more, as i recorded that later :hush:
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

EvilC wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:05 pm Man that is awesome. My eldest would have had kittens if he had seen that.
I was absolutely made up - plenty of red kites round here, and the occasional buzzard, but I’m fairly certain that’s the only eagle I’ve seen in this country.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Heysel76 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:17 pm Well done, you've nailed it, i read the comments on youtube & it's not only me that it annoys!
Goes on for hours sometimes. Strangely enough, one flew into one of our double glazed units this morning & killed itself stone dead. However, there are more, as i recorded that later :hush:
Yes, I was going to say that that's nowhere near as annoying as the sound of a House Sparrow.
Well done, EvilC.
I bet Tenners would have known it as well.
Btw, can you put something on the double glazing to stop them committing hari-kari?..
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Samba wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:09 am .
I bet Tenners would have known it as well.
I sat watching the film clip with the sound off thinking 'Well I can't see any f*****g birds.!!!' :(
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Tenbury wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:35 am I sat watching the film clip with the sound off thinking 'Well I can't see any f*****g birds.!!!' :(
Same here! Didn't find that short clip annoying (give it a chance I suppose) though it could do with widening its repertoire somewhat.
Heysel76

Post by Heysel76 »

vietnammer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:22 am Same here! Didn't find that short clip annoying (give it a chance I suppose) though it could do with widening its repertoire somewhat.
If you put it on a loop with the sound up for 30 mins you will get the idea!
Heysel76

Post by Heysel76 »

Tenbury wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:35 am I sat watching the film clip with the sound off thinking 'Well I can't see any f*****g birds.!!!' :(
Sorry, forgot to say, "turn the sound up", i can't see them, that's why i didn't know what it was :crylol:
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:48 pm I was absolutely made up - plenty of red kites round here, and the occasional buzzard, but I’m fairly certain that’s the only eagle I’ve seen in this country.
This is proper once in a lifetime stuff. We are mainly buzzards with the odd red kite, although I have seen a couple of kestrels and heard a tawny owl in the gardens nearby during December, but I didn't see it.

We (our garden) appear to have been adopted by a pair of Eurasian Collared Doves, over the last week or so. I was puzzled when I first saw it, because it is clearly smaller than a wood pigeon (and sits to one side if one is feeding in our garden), but is also differently marked from a (normal) pigeon, the kind you see in centres of big towns etc.

Anyway, having seen one, to begin with, I noticed a pair of them today, patiently waiting for a chance to come down and get some fat ball down their gregs.

Here's a pic [not my backgarden]