Cycling

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Re: Cycling

Post by Junco Partner »

Clucking Bell wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:38 amThen take all the backroads up to Saffron Walden, head across to Castle Hedingham, down through Felstead, Chipping Ongar, Brentwood and home.
That patch of Essex, east of the M11 and north of the A120 is cycling heaven, and one of the most scenic corners of all England. Spinning through those timbered villages, the rolling farmland, along quiet rivers, past ancient churches, crumbling castles, creaking windmills and classic country pubs. On a sunny day you'll do well to see anything more enticing on two wheels.

Never fails to put a smile on my face.

Roll on the spring :thup:
YGNB
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by YGNB »

Thanks for all the comments - I think I'll take a ride up to Chipping Ongar in the next few weeks. Can I ask how people get from A-B ? Do you just ride knowing the vague direction you are going in and follow the signs or do you mount your phone or another gadget to the bike?

In terms of how the Brompton rides, I don't really have anything to compare it with. It's the first bike I've bought since I was knocking around on BMX's as a teenager. They are certainly heavy and a bit jerky but I got used to it (Apparently adding a front bag makes it feel more stable) Going uphill is a struggle for sure... The reason I got it was

1) I live in a block of flats so it's perfect to store (I do not trust the bike store in the underground parking lot)
2) To be able to take on the train for work
3) They hold their value really well - even if I sell it in 3-5 years I will probably get back the majority of what I paid
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2603 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I went for a ride before Xmas and got caught in an horrendous rainstorm and very quickly, I was about 3 stone heavier and pretty cold.

So for Xmas, I got a warm pair of cycling gloves and a rain/wind proof jacket.

Given that I am working from home at the moment - getting out on the bike is one of the few things that stops everything getting a bit Groundhoggy.

My new acquisitions have been a godsend - making the cold biting wind and drizzle a lot more tolerable.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1593 likes

Post by alf git »

Got caught in a hail storm a couple of miles from home on Sunday.
It was a tad chilly :lol:
Winter riding is definitely more of a chore.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

pablo jaye wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:05 pmSo for Xmas, I got a warm pair of cycling gloves and a rain/wind proof jacket.
I've been searching for that holy grail of a light, breathable but still reasonably rain proof jacket for a while now. Any recommendations?

I realise it's a spectrum and what you gain in one direction you lose in the other, but have struggled to find a happy medium.
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Junco Partner wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:15 pm I've been searching for that holy grail of a light, breathable but still reasonably rain proof jacket for a while now. Any recommendations?

I realise it's a spectrum and what you gain in one direction you lose in the other, but have struggled to find a happy medium.
Yes, it is a bit of a tough call isn’t it and I am not sure that the one I bought will be 100% what I want.

I bought this made by BTM

It is pretty good a blocking out wind and in terms of waterproofing has worked well so far but not got caught in any monsoon type weather yet. In terms of ventilation, there is a horizontal vent along the bottom of the shoulder blade - whilst it does overlap, I imagine that some persistent rain may allow through it. It’s comfortable and the bindings on the neck and cuffs are very effective in keeping the elements out.

Overall a solid 7/10 so far.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

I bought this jacket just the other day and did my first ride in it yesterday morning

Kept me nice and warm and its comfy. Cant complain for the price. Just make sure you order 1 size higher than you would normally get. I went with a medium and its a good fit but usually would go for a small (which would of never fit given the size of the medium!)
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Junco Partner wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:15 pm I've been searching for that holy grail of a light, breathable but still reasonably rain proof jacket for a while now. Any recommendations?

I couldn't recommend a brand, but if you are a regular rider then spend the money and buy a proper gore tex one.

I am the worst one for spending money, I've had the same gloves for years, and every winter I keep promising myself to buy better ones. My long cycling leggings are the most basic ones you can get from Decathlon.

But about 3 years ago I had a mad rush and spent about £100 on a high quality gore tex jacket. It is brilliant and still going well today apart from the zip is getting a bit dodgy. Keeps all wind out, keeps pretty heavy rain out, when it's warmer I can wear with just a thin top underneath and never gets too hot either. Worth every extra penny.
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions and will investigate further. As an aside, anyone shed any light on why I can see the product pictures on my phone but just get an amazon 'a' logo when viewing on my laptop? Something I've done with my settings?

Homebound once again, I went out before lunch for an hour's spin locally as we had a crisp blue sky and looked too good to resist.

Bloody hell it was cold. But beautiful....and icy, near lost it on a sharp turn. Be careful out there :thup:
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

YGNB wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:47 pm Thanks for all the comments - I think I'll take a ride up to Chipping Ongar in the next few weeks. Can I ask how people get from A-B ? Do you just ride knowing the vague direction you are going in and follow the signs or do you mount your phone or another gadget to the bike?
After 40-odd years, I can look at a map and tell you the best cycling routes in a matter of minutes. It's actually not very difficult: imagine you want to go from say Romford to Chelmsford. In a car, you'd get on the the A127, do one junction on the M25 and then up the A12. On a bike, you have to almost have to ask yourself what's the worst possible way to drive the route while mostly heading in the right direction. You basically want backroads that twist and turn because they're the ones that motorists avoid.

There's a couple of apps too: Kamoot is OK, MapMyRide is OK and, if you've got a Garmin, some of those have suggested routes.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Post by Clucking Bell »

Get a Gore C7 Shakedry. Forget how much it costs and thank me when you're twenty miles from home and it's pissing down.

If you want something for when it's cold, go with the top end Assos or Giordana jackets. They cost and arm and leg and they're worth every penny.

Overshoes and mitts are must haves when it's cold. Your fingers and toes get cold before the rest of you does.
bunk
Total likes: 348 likes

Post by bunk »

I just got a Gore C5 Shakedry, it's a little looser (I think) that than C7, so useful when you're layering up. It is expensive, about £215 on sale... but so far it's been very useful. Yet to experience a proper downpour in it but that being it's USP, i can't imagine there will be any issues.
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

I best start saving :D

Cheers guys, those GORE's do look good and get lots of positive reviews.
YGNB wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:47 pm Thanks for all the comments - I think I'll take a ride up to Chipping Ongar in the next few weeks. Can I ask how people get from A-B ? Do you just ride knowing the vague direction you are going in and follow the signs or do you mount your phone or another gadget to the bike?
Superbly put by Clucking Bell above, after a while you just 'know' the better route by looking at a map. The more B-roads and lanes you can utilise the more enjoyment your ride contains. Can be a good idea to start with a loop, say for example off the train at Bishop's Stortford in the morning, aim to be back there late afternoon. Means you know to turnaround half-way and start heading back and there's less pressure than a point to point ride if you feel like cutting it short you just turn earlier.

This little website is fantastic at picking a route as it will always favour greenways, lesser roads and traffic-free lanes above the more direct (car-clogged) ones. Very useful to play about with before setting off:

Find the best route on quiet lanes and cycleways
YGNB
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by YGNB »

Cheers guys :thup:
Rust
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by Rust »

Well I finally got myself a bike today.

2nd hand, Hackney cycles, single speed. (https://www.hackney-cycles.co.uk/singlespeed-fixie)

Got it from Gumtree with a D lock and helmet for £170. Will mainly be for running around SW London and heading into central every now and again.

Pretty chuffed and looking forward to using it regularly over the Spring and Summer.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Little Cycling Things That Irritate You:

"Quick Link" chains. Surely the biggest misnomer ever - one of those improvements that is worse than what came before. Took me about 20 minutes to get it fitted.
Clucking Bell

Post by Clucking Bell »

southbrishammer wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:28 pm Little Cycling Things That Irritate You:

"Quick Link" chains. Surely the biggest misnomer ever - one of those improvements that is worse than what came before. Took me about 20 minutes to get it fitted.
I guess that means you don't have the magic tool that makes it a piece of piss? :D
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Clucking Bell wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:53 am I guess that means you don't have the magic tool that makes it a piece of piss? :D
After 19 minutes of struggling I realised the magic tool was a pair of pliers. These were not mentioned in the instructions.
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

I'm pining for a good long cycle, this winter is dragging on a bit now. Not looking good for this weekend either, snow and bikes don't mix well at all :(
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Whilst it’s been bitterly cold this week, I have managed to get out for a couple of decent and invigorating bike rides. A few layers, gloves, a decent windcheater and one of those ‘snood’ things and I was all sorted. It has been dry so now snow to worry about but it has been better than being stuck indoors.