Cycling

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Re: Cycling

Post by Denbighammer »

pablo jaye wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 am Whilst it’s been bitterly cold this week, I have managed to get out for a couple of decent and invigorating bike rides. A few layers, gloves, a decent windcheater and one of those ‘snood’ things and I was all sorted. It has been dry so now snow to worry about but it has been better than being stuck indoors.
I've managed to get out twice this week, dressed much the same as you,though even winter gloves didnt stop my fingers getting frozen to the bone. I only managed 30-40mins though. It did make me feel better though.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

It was -1.6⁰ C when I went out this morning, and 0.8⁰ when I got back 2½ hours later - definitely skullcap-under- helmet weather, but crucially there was no ice, which is my real bugbear. I don't mind the cold, it's an incentive to cycle faster.

I know most people don't like it in this weather, but I would encourage everyone to get out even for half an hour a day, it does wonders for your mood. Although I wish I'd worn thicker socks, I couldn't feel my feet for hours!
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2616 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Yup - I’ve only been out for 45 mins during my lunch hour. Didn’t do it today and don’t feel anywhere near as good as I did yesterday.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Took a "Wellbeing" hour (didn't know they existed until this week, shows how much I pay attention to HR e-mails :lol: ) and closed the laptop at 4pm, straight out and got a good hour and a half ride in daylight, cool fresh daylight but daylight all the same, before returning at dusk.

Felt fantastic.
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

Doing my first bike ride since my mate was killed today.

Not far, just to work. About a dozen miles by the waterfront.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by alf git »

Nice day today in Essex.
First decent ride for a good few weeks 👍
southbrishammer

Shabu wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:21 pm Doing my first bike ride since my mate was killed today.

Not far, just to work. About a dozen miles by the waterfront.
I hope it felt cathartic. In spite of setbacks, your life still has to go on.
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

southbrishammer wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:48 am I hope it felt cathartic. In spite of setbacks, your life still has to go on.
It was lovely. Legs were ****ed though :lol:
WHID to deserve this?

Post by WHID to deserve this? »

Its good for the soul mate - raise one tonight!
Did 20 miles a couple of nights ago (around Windsor and Eton) - hardly anyone out which was great but still a couple of close passes on empty roads.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Just back from a quick 10 miler in lunch.

One of 'those' rides... :lol:

Car driving on the wrong side of the road towards me.
Old person walks out off of the curb in front of me.
Car door opens in front of me.
Car pulls out of their drive without looking.

:fsake: I was only out for 40 minutes.
WHID to deserve this?

I really need cameras I think - its getting quite wild out there...
Jonah

Post by Jonah »

Complete school boy error today.

Had the afternoon off of work, looked at the weather this morning and it said 30% chance of light showers between 2-3. Left at 1ish for a 20 miler out to Navestock, Warley and return to Gidea Park. Only had dry spring gear on and was on my summer bike, 'Light showers?' it'll be okay.

5 miles in the heavens opened and didn't stop.

Wetter than an otters pocket.
WHID to deserve this?

Went out last night for 20 or so miles along the Thames and was caught out by the temp drop - but it must have been in my head. Winter gear and overshoes but felt colder than many winter rides when I came back with frost on my beard and sleeves. I think psychologically, my mind is at Spring has Sprung...

Didn't rain though, so not all bad
Jonah

Post by Jonah »

WHID to deserve this? wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:33 pm Didn't rain though, so not all bad
Rub it in WHID, I think my feet are still wet :)
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

WHID to deserve this? wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:33 pm Went out last night for 20 or so miles along the Thames and was caught out by the temp drop - but it must have been in my head. Winter gear and overshoes but felt colder than many winter rides when I came back with frost on my beard and sleeves. I think psychologically, my mind is at Spring has Sprung...

Didn't rain though, so not all bad
It's been VERY cold this week, for cycling. Went out on Monday & it was cold then but today felt even colder - a strong. biting wind in places.
Not due to get a bit milder until Wednesday.
WHID to deserve this?

I am heading to Thurrock on Monday to work for a while. Taking my bike - looking for some suitable routes online: wondered if any locals on here had any ideas for some off road stuff for a cross bike and eager but **** rider? 20-30 miles out and back. Will be staying close to Bluewater....
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Just got back from a 3 hour and 35 mile ride on my Trek DS Sport (hybrid) 3.

Stratford to Upminster - piece of cake

Upminster to Purfleet via Aveley - loved the scenery around the back roads but then it gets very very bleak the closer you get to the river and Purfleet.

Purfleet and through Rainham marshes - cool off roading

Rainham Marshes to Dagenham and Becontree - nearly got hit by a car who didn't give a **** I was coming around the mini roundabout from his right and decided to pull out..

Becontree to Greenway via the side of the A13 - okay, stopped for a scotch egg and a bag of crisps and the sun came out!

Greenway back to Stratford & home - nice! But busy!

Overall, a pretty enjoyable ride!
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"

Post by Junco Partner »

I love that stretch through Rainham Marshes, it's one of those pockets of wildness you find within Greater London M25 land where you, however briefly, do get out of earshot of traffic hum and lose sight of city buildings. You catch salty sea tang on the air and even the rusting barges and far smokestacks across in Kent have an allure about them.

The cafe in the RSPB bird watching place does a nice slice of cake (when open) :thup:
southbrishammer

If there are any fair weather cyclists (not an insult) out there, now is the time to oil your chain and dust off your lycra.

I did a 3 hour round trip between Bristol and Clevedon yesterday and it was gorgeous. Hazy sunshine, gentle breeze, dry roads. Can't beat it!
Junco Partner

Post by Junco Partner »

Completed my first post-work ride in total daylight yesterday evening and it felt good. Just an hour and a half up the local greenway and back but in the lovely soft light of an evening sun and a gentle breeze on the face.

It's getting close boys, the start of proper cycling for us fair-weatherists is getting closer by the day. Clocks spring forward soon too :thup: