Iconic sporting moments

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

badabing
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Iconic sporting moments

Post by badabing »

With the current dearth of sport, I started thinking about some of the most iconic moments, some I`ve been lucky enough to witness others before my time. Let`s have your additions to the following.

Football: Obviously for English fans it`s 1966. World champions of our national game, will it ever be repeated?
The Cruyff turn, just sublime. I think the Swedish defender in later years was proud to have been done like a kipper by the great man.
Gazza`s tears in Italia 90, and his superb goal against the Scots at Euro 96

Boxing: Cassius Clay v Sonny Liston, the beginning of the greatest`s greatness
Mike Tysons rise to the top and his destruction of Trevor Berbick, the frustration on Berbicks face as he tried to get up but his legs were just in another dimension. Tyson just a wrecking machine before his sad, almost inevitable decline.

F1: never a huge fan of F1, but I can remember my shock on hearing of the death of Ayrton Senna
Also Nigel Mansell in Australia, I think it was the last lap as he seemed about to win the championship when his tyre just shredded allowing Prost in to win.

Darts: Paul Lim and his 9 darter

Snooker: Taylor v Davis could be the most famous match ever. When I watch the ending I still find it hard to believe Davis missed that last cut on the black
Cliff Thorburns 147, started with an outrageous fluke, then years later Ronnie`s ridiculous 5 minute one
Jimmy`s heartbreak as he missed that black off the spot allowing Hendry to clear up

Golf: Jack Nicklaus at the 86 masters, and Tigers 12 shot win at the 97 event, Greg Norman collapsing against Faldo and Van de Velde leading by 3 at the 18th in the Open.

Athletics: Coe and Ovett in Moscow 1980, Ben Johnson cheating, Michael Johnson`s awesomeness in Atlanta 96, and Usain Bolt electrifying the sport.

Cricket: The Ashes 1981 and 2005, Brian Lara `s 501, The world cup last year and that super over.

Horse Racing: Red Rum, Desert Orchid, Kauto Star, Bob Champion and Aldaniti, Shergar

Apologies , don`t know enough about US sports like NFL, NBA,NHL, just know of the great names like Michael Jordan , Wayne Gretzky etc.