TfL Bailout - sign of things to come?

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Re: TfL Bailout - sign of things to come?

Post by sendô »

People always seem to forget whilst slagging off strikers that they don't get paid for when they're on strike.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

-DL- wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:10 pm Most jobs it doesn't matter how strong you're union is, as the only people you're going to piss off are your employers, and it's never usually in the public domain.

I've mentioned previously, we're due for a walkout next month - and all it's going to get is maybe a couple of inches in Medway Messenger, and ****ers going on the Arriva Facebook page slagging us off.

Meanwhile, all the managers will be out driving a skeleton service, as well as those who cannot afford to strike - and that's the thing - when you're on upwards of 50k a year, a days strike here and there wouldn't really affect your income. When you're on less than half that, people think twice about losing pay.
Have never found this, majority seem to just adapt their spending levels to their wages so whatever is lost in a day still takes a loss from the budget for the month.

the network rail strikes were very well supported and were by the people on lower wages rather than the drivers that everyone measures the countries income by it seems.. pays for x amount of nurses etc the old daily moan likes to plump out rather than highlight the real issues of gross underpayment of other professions.

I dont see this being solved anytime soon as we have no government at the moment so no decisions can be made

have your union scheduled the walk out to run along side one of the network rail strikes? that much get more pressure on the management
sendô wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:17 pm People always seem to forget whilst slagging off strikers that they don't get paid for when they're on strike.
a lot of the general public will only react to what they are fed from the press or what they have been told for years about unions.

it became a dirty word with the working class almost..

lot of people dont remember where we would be without unions with things like weekends, sickpay, holiday pay etc etc

I even know people who actually believed people get paid when on strike..
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

sendô wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:17 pm People always seem to forget whilst slagging off strikers that they don't get paid for when they're on strike.
Poor them.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Yes, most of them already are.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

sendô wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:13 pm Yes, most of them already are.
I have just finished a run of nights. First time since covid I popped down to see my mate who works as a station supervisor whilst I was on my break.

cup of tea and a quick catch up as its after trains are finished for night.

He was filling me in just how grim its become on stations , the station cuts of a few years ago really ruined the whole station staffing

he got a txt from a colleague whilst I was there blowing out the morning shift as was down hospital , not enough notice to get cover in. No spare duties anymore that used to report to stations and go to places that needed more staff for the day. so that morning his station didnt open (below min numbers, a law set after the awful kings cross fire)

so many stations are unstaffed in the open sections at the moment.. the other day we had a train with cctv problems and it was a platform with a curve so the driver needs a second member of staff to give him the right to depart as he cant see the full length of platform from the cab and could risk shutting someone in doors and dragging them (does happen, bag straps) our options were get a member of staff from another station down on other train or use the driver from the train arriving in other platform to assist .. so in all a 10 min shut down for something that normally is 2 mins for supervisor to come down.

that supervisor been pulled for the station with min numbers

they want to cut 600 more station staff across the network, from where I have no idea. They already cut the numbers to a min

my role has vacancies across the combine because of this, we cant recruit from stations or trains at moment because they cant release them as they have no staff as it is

we have had a few direct recruit campaigns but majority dont make the grade and normally end up as other roles in the company but doesnt solve our issue of coverage.

luckily they have just relaunched the apprenticeship but that takes 2 years before they start training which is 12 months so 3 years from now until we get possible 12 people.. we have more than that retiring in the next 2 years

you can only cut so much, you need a recruitment drive across all sectors to keep things moving.

going for the pensions is a terrible idea... what will anyone do that can? retire.. ok then wheres the workforce lol

another direct recruit ex forces campaign would be great, they are normally the most successful direct recruits , pick things up quick
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I would agree mumbles re ex-service personel, in haulage they tend to be good for most roles.

Listening to Mick Lynch on the radio the thing I find most disgusting is the move towards night work becoming standard and even worse, without extra pay. I've just come off 3 years + of nights and it is ****ing hard. It ****'s you up. I only did it for the money and because it suited but I'm glad to be out of it. Nobody should be forced to work nights without their prior agreement (some jobs it's part of it when you apply which is fair enough along as your compensated properly for it)
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Denbighammer wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:48 pm I would agree mumbles re ex-service personel, in haulage they tend to be good for most roles.

Listening to Mick Lynch on the radio the thing I find most disgusting is the move towards night work becoming standard and even worse, without extra pay. I've just come off 3 years + of nights and it is ****ing hard. It ****'s you up. I only did it for the money and because it suited but I'm glad to be out of it. Nobody should be forced to work nights without their prior agreement (some jobs it's part of it when you apply which is fair enough along as your compensated properly for it)
When night tube was forced onto us for no extra cash (we run it at a loss)

We had to move our night tech staff to work Sunday to Thursday .. we lost sat night as the long maintenance night so it breaks more as it's used more and less chance to repair

We hired night tube drivers instead of changing drivers contracts and rosters

Covid we made the night tube drivers into full driver to cover the vacancies

Now we have no night tube drivers and aslef agreed to the deal (rmt haven't) that drivers will do the nights .. big row which is causing strikes

They work 2 nights..finish 7am Sunday back for 17;00 Monday

It's not great on them I'll admit but we need to save money and it works

However it's another change of agreement so the unions are right to question

Apparently been told if they were given Sunday as not a rest day and then got a rest day in the week to make up for it so returned Tuesday pm they would sign it off

Lot of their drivers do perm earlies in mafias etc so finish 7am Sunday back to 4am Monday doesn't overly work

Long way to go on that ...company can't afford it atm
Big George
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Big George »

Light at the end of the tunnel? Even Grant Shapps must be bored of this psychodrama
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Big George wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:42 am Light at the end of the tunnel? Even Grant Shapps must be bored of this psychodrama
The climb down is always quieter than the battle so to speak

Night tube strikes suspended now.. agreement reached ..

For me there must be something going on as no strikes on the tube to align with network rail again .. and no other unions have called yet so still either same stance or improvement (depending on your view)

I hope the network rail one gets resolved soon

Going to be a long summer
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Heads up.

Rmt strike 19th August (Friday) times not announced yet but assume midnight to midnight

Same issue pensions , job and terms cuts

Basically now tfl have a deal from gov they want assurances pensions are safe. Tfl said they couldn't before because no deal..now is a deal the union want assurances.

Makes sense I guess

Anyways just a heads up

Tfl have 7 days to give them assurances or the strike goes ahead
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

Is that the tube?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Whufc06 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:26 pm Is that the tube?
Yes. I've lost track of the rmt , aslef and tssa strikes on network rail tbh

I know ones tomorrow

But 19th August is just the tube and ATM just one union
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Denbighammer wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:48 pm I've just come off 3 years + of nights and it is ****ing hard. It ****'s you up.
A bit OT but...

My brother-in-law turns 65 in September. He has done shift work since he was 16. Seven days of a 12 hour day shift 7am-7pm and then 7 days of nights 7pm-7am. He then gets 6 days off.

He is due to retire, but I just don't know how he is going to come off that pattern after 49 years. I have told him that perhaps he should work p/t for another couple of years and start shifting to a normal routine.

In terms of these strikes, it does get a bit he said, she said. Everyone is faced with a cost of living increase and I haven't received a pay rise this year or last. In fact the only way I have got anything above a 1.2% pay rise in the last 10 years is to move jobs. But I fundamentally disagree that all ticket offices should be shut. Every station on the network, including the LU should be manned.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

RichieRiv wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:01 am In fact the only way I have got anything above a 1.2% pay rise in the last 10 years is to move jobs.
Pretty much everyone I know in the private sector has done the same. Including myself.

Maybe the hard done by RMT and Aslef members could do the same?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Maybe ASLEF and the RMT could bid to run the railways. They seem to know everything about how they should work.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:02 am Pretty much everyone I know in the private sector has done the same. Including myself.

Maybe the hard done by RMT and Aslef members could do the same?
The private sector should be encouraged more to join a union. There may well be better outcomes for those like yourself, and others, if someone was standing up for your interests and wages.

I work for a union. The majority of us exist to serve our members, and generally make their lives better.

In general, I don’t think it’s helpful to have a pop at the RMT and compare it to private sector workers. I firmly believe that if more of the private sector was unionised, a greater number of workers would be better off.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:56 pm I work for a union. The majority of us exist to serve our members, and generally make their lives better
You've just explained why unions are absolutely toxic to the taxpaying individual who isn't part of Labour's client state.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:18 pm You've just explained why unions are absolutely toxic to the taxpaying individual who isn't part of Labour's client state.
Eh? The lack of union representation in the private sector allows employees in various companies and industries to have the royal piss taken out of them. Unions can bridge that gap in protecting your terms and conditions.

If your issue is tax, take it up with those who have been in power for the past 12 years. Our tax system needs an overhaul, but that’s an entire different debate.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:56 pm
I work for a union. The majority of us exist to serve our members, and generally make their lives better.
As it should be, but what do the others exist for?
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

delbert wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:25 am As it should be, but what do the others exist for?
For a few in my place, it’s just a job to earn a living. But that’s to be found in most workplaces.