TfL Bailout - sign of things to come?

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: TfL Bailout - sign of things to come?

Post by mumbles87 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:27 pm The RPS was 11bn in deficit 2 years ago, the pensions regulator said it was 7.5bn in deficit 2 years before that. The only was it's in surplus is by using tax payer guarantees on some parts to pump up other parts that aren't guaranteed.
Is that network rails? How much profit have they taken out as a company and let the pension get into minus?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:31 pm Is that network rails? How much profit have they taken out as a company and let the pension get into minus?
No idea. It's the one the rmt guy was on about.

The train companies have paid in every penny they were supposed to.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/in- ... mick-lynch

When a union leader gets a postive write up from the spectator you know they're cutting through.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

This seems like a terrible move from whoever in government is threatening/proposing it. Completely goes against their narrative of RMT workers ruining everyone's plans by striking.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:50 am This seems like a terrible move from whoever in government is threatening/proposing it. Completely goes against their narrative of RMT workers ruining everyone's plans by striking.

That's disgusting, so they're discriminating anybody who's a union member? Surely that kind of discrimination was outlawed years ago?
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Our good old vindictive spiteful government everybody.

The Daily Heil will be creaming themselves.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:50 am This seems like a terrible move from whoever in government is threatening/proposing it. Completely goes against their narrative of RMT workers ruining everyone's plans by striking.

Do it

Illegal I believe?

Also network rail don't have contacts that cover Sundays normally for drivers so it's overtime they will just not work and no trains

Try it on lul see what happens

Our room had 160 shifts of overtime from July to sept due to vancancy, maternity and leave

Ok we will hand back and the line won't run then?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

The government seem to want to escalate strikes. There must be a reason. They probably think they can win a long battle that'll drive down workers rights, wages and costs in the process.

Ultimiately much like with the coal strikes of old we don't need the trains now like we used to.

The RMT need to tread carefully here and pick their battles IMO. They wont of course.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

sendô wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:50 pm The government seem to want to escalate strikes. There must be a reason. They probably think they can win a long battle that'll drive down workers rights, wages and costs in the process.

Ultimiately much like with the coal strikes of old we don't need the trains now like we used to.

The RMT need to tread carefully here and pick their battles IMO. They wont of course.
I disagree, trains play a massive roll in the move to more green travel

They want us out of cars and into trains again for traveling where possible but in that case public transport needs to be available and affordable

So cut fares and stop cutting lines

This isn't like a coal strike where we are trying to cut down the use of coal

Trains play a big role in the future

Lul is already up to close to pre pandemic numbers even in hybrid working
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

sendô wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:50 pm The government seem to want to escalate strikes. There must be a reason. They probably think they can win a long battle that'll drive down workers rights, wages and costs in the process.

Johnson was bragging in the HoC yesterday about £90bn+ investment in rail infrastructure. The government and the people in charge seem to see rail travel as very much a part of the future of this country.

I think the simplest reason for wanting to escalate them is most likely the right one. They think they can pin the blame for these on Labour in some way and create another wedge issue to exploit.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:59 pm Johnson was bragging in the HoC yesterday about £90bn+ investment in rail infrastructure. The government and the people in charge seem to see rail travel as very much a part of the future of this country.

I think the simplest reason for wanting to escalate them is most likely the right one. They think they can pin the blame for these on Labour in some way and create another wedge issue to exploit.
I've seen them call it a labour caused strike

Who's in power? Remind me
sendô

Post by sendô »

Yes, they're investing heavily in rail and want to push people off of the roads, but the reality is strikes do not have the impact they once did because people not longer HAVE to use them to work - they can simply work from home.

Out of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday travelling by train to work this week during the strikes, the worst day for me by far was Wednesday, when there was officially no strikes. On Tuesday and today the trains were virtually empty because people are simply working from home.

The strikes are not having the "carnage" impact the RMT want because we do not NEED to travel, and whilst trains are a big part of making travel more green, most of that travel is still for journey's that people do not NEED to make.

The government most likely feel that they can wear any number of strikes, because it will not massively hit the economy, and most people wont even be bothered by the inconvenience because they'll blag an extra wfh day.

Especially at the moment whilst the weather is nice.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

sendô wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:19 pm Yes, they're investing heavily in rail and want to push people off of the roads, but the reality is strikes do not have the impact they once did because people not longer HAVE to use them to work - they can simply work from home.

Out of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday travelling by train to work this week during the strikes, the worst day for me by far was Wednesday, when there was officially no strikes. On Tuesday and today the trains were virtually empty because people are simply working from home.

The strikes are not having the "carnage" impact the RMT want because we do not NEED to travel, and whilst trains are a big part of making travel more green, most of that travel is still for journey's that people do not NEED to make.

The government most likely feel that they can wear any number of strikes, because it will not massively hit the economy, and most people wont even be bothered by the inconvenience because they'll blag an extra wfh day.

Especially at the moment whilst the weather is nice.
it still costs the economy per strike

each lul strike is 50 million now i think instead of 100 million

its still money

and lots of it

how long before their donors are fed up of losing cash
sendô

Post by sendô »

Come on mate that's buttons in the grand scheme of things.

I'm merely pointing out that the government are doing what they're doing for a reason, and hypothesising as to why they think they can get away with it.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

quote=sendô post_id=6276582 time=1655991370 user_id=5616]
Come on mate that's buttons in the grand scheme of things.

I'm merely pointing out that the government are doing what they're doing for a reason, and hypothesising as to why they think they can get away with it.
[/quote]

50 million a day and 4 strikes so far that's 200 million not a lot I'll grant

But that 200 million just because the mayor is labour? It's mental
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Thing is he isn't wrong .. RPI increases in fares but won't give workers RPI
sendô

Post by sendô »

The best bit about that was Emily Thornberry sitting there, smiling at Jenrick getting his pants pulled down.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Actually no, the best bit is his point about syphoning public money into private companies, which the Tories are the absolute ****ing worst at and yet they never, ever get properly called out on it.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

sendô wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:07 pm The best bit about that was Emily Thornberry sitting there, smiling at Jenrick getting his pants pulled down.
I'd like to see him against Boris and his famous Eton debate skills ..

I have been impressed with Mr lynch tbh ..

Always thought he was pound shop Bob crow
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by daytimedave »

i like the cut of his jib . nice one Brother :wolfy: