In other news

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Re: In other news

Post by Hammer1966 »

You are also being extremely generous by using the term humour. I didn't find anything funny about it.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62575679

87 years old ffs.

RIP Tom.

Feral little scumbags. Nothing shocks me in London anymore.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1832 likes
Total likes: 1145 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

smuts wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:57 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62575679

87 years old ffs.

RIP Tom.

Someone needs to show this story to Mr Dos Santos the sprinter. This should explain to him why police have the power stop and search anyone they see fit. By him and his girlfriend making this issue racial and political, they have the blood of every such victim on their hands.
delbert
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 699 likes

Post by delbert »

Hammer1966 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:28 am You are also being extremely generous by using the term humour. I didn't find anything funny about it.
Which is obviously all fine and dandy, humour is subjective. The difference is when people try to impose their subjectivity on others by trying to get things banned, they may find something offensive but offence isn't given, it's only ever taken........
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 494 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62582156

Right too IMO. Giving jobs to white men in this day and age? WTF are they thinking?
Shabu
Has liked: 4188 likes
Total likes: 2048 likes

Post by Shabu »

smuts wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:57 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62575679

87 years old ffs.

RIP Tom.

I saw this on the news earlier. The bloke they're looking for looks about 30 odd.

Why would anyone stab this old boy?
Macca1973
Has liked: 1832 likes
Total likes: 1145 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:23 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62582156

Right too IMO. Giving jobs to white men in this day and age? WTF are they thinking?
Imagine a little boy, growing up with a dream to be in the RAF only to be rejected for being white. I think there’s a word for that….?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 940 likes
Total likes: 483 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Macca1973 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:25 am Imagine a little boy, growing up with a dream to be in the RAF only to be rejected for being white. I think there’s a word for that….?
They won't suggest it was for that reason.....

Hi Mr Whiteguy,

Thank you for your recent application of fighter pilot - Project-more minorities-RAF-BS.

Our team have reviewed your details and you have not been selected for shortlist on this occasion.

You can continue to review opportunities on our website www.RAF-more-minorities.com and set up your personalised job alerts, where we advertise all our positions for your kind.

Thank you again and good luck with your job search.

Stupid RAF recruitment department.

:winker:
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1972 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

FMOB.

Do you really think that people are being rejected from the RAF for being white men? You really believe that?

You don't think that article is just triggering you?

You don't think that the RAF are just trying to recruit more people who aren't white men?

Imagine a brown kid dreaming of joining the RAF and realising that less than 2.5% of the RAF isn't white. You'd question whether it's right for you, wouldn't you?

Now imagine that the RAF tell you that they really want you to apply, and you really do have a chance of getting in, despite their current demographic. So you apply.

Surely you can see that there's only positive outcomes there? Unless of course you think it's a bad thing that less qualified or suitable white people don't get the job anyway.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

Man arrested for the the stabbing of the old bloke on the scooter:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-62587263
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:36 am FMOB.

Do you really think that people are being rejected from the RAF for being white men? You really believe that?

You don't think that article is just triggering you?

You don't think that the RAF are just trying to recruit more people who aren't white men?

Imagine a brown kid dreaming of joining the RAF and realising that less than 2.5% of the RAF isn't white. You'd question whether it's right for you, wouldn't you?

Now imagine that the RAF tell you that they really want you to apply, and you really do have a chance of getting in, despite their current demographic. So you apply.

Surely you can see that there's only positive outcomes there? Unless of course you think it's a bad thing that less qualified or suitable white people don't get the job anyway.
There shouldn't be a quota full stop. Whoever is best for the job during the interview/assessment process should get it.
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:55 am There shouldn't be a quota full stop. Whoever is best for the job during the interview/assessment process should get it.
Absolutely.

But unfortunately lots of people who are "best for the job" don't even apply because, probably incorrectly, they feel the odds are against them getting a position based on the current workforce being 97.5% white.

The RAF policy is just about redressing that and encouraging a wider range of people to apply to join. I don't see the problem, nothing discriminatory is happening, despite what some people might like to believe.

When Putin goes for us, I want the best fighter pilots we can find, irrespective of race or gender. Or species, even.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2651 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

It's an interesting policy, for sure: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62585809
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Post by -DL- »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:07 am Absolutely....
If I may, there is very much a difference to an organisation encouraging people from minority groups to apply, to there being set targets and quotas. For one of the heads of recruitment for an organisation to resign over it, there's clearly something amiss with the way it's being handled. A female Group Captain in a high up position quite clearly has a problem with it.

Of course also, this isn't just about ethnic minorities, it's also setting quotas for the amount of women employed - and if the finer points are correct - that this group captain has resigned because of the quotas, and that white male men are being rejected, that actually has operational implications - where they're not getting getting enough people in. If you wish to call that 'triggering' that an RAF source has actually said white men are being rejected (and it also being on BBC, who generally don't run with stories like this) then there must be some basis of fact, and to say that is about triggering people is actually a bit unfair I think.
Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:36 am Do you really think that people are being rejected from the RAF for being white men? You really believe that?...
If a senior member of the RAF is saying it, then yes, I do believe that, and she believed it to the extent she's probably now just sacrificed her own career by putting it in the public domain and speaking out. The Armed Forces and The MOD don't take kindly to that sort of thing - although I have noticed you put from the RAF, which implies white men are being kicked out - and if that is the case, no, I don't believe people are being kicked out of The RAF for being white male.

However, if you meant do you believe people are being rejected for The RAF based on the fact they are white and male, then yes, I do - because female Group Captains in high up recruitment positions generally don't resign over nothing and speak to the media.

As a leaked email has said,
Earlier this year a leaked internal email appealed for a pilot to attend the premier of the movie Top Gun: Maverick as the face of the RAF - it was looking for someone who was "preferably not white and male".
If that was turned on it's head and it said 'Not black', there would be hell to pay, and quite rightly so - and I fail to see how this is any different, and all these ridiculous quotas and policies then create even more division. Perhaps if we stopped this black, white, brown, female caper, and went back to basics and just saw everyone for what they are - people, because in time, it won't matter. Stop forcing the issue, and let it happen organically.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

How does one tell the ethnicity of RAF pilots at the controls when their planes are up there doing their job? What's more important, why does it matter?
Will we ever see football clubs rejecting black applicants because white men seem to be under represented based on the ethnic makeup of the country? Or do they rightly want the best possible individuals regardless of where they figure on a long list of *isms?
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

-DL- wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:01 am If I may........
You may :smiler:

If I may, to summarise that article, a mystery person has resigned from an unspecified role and some other person has suggested that it might be related to a policy that leads to white men being rejected for positions in the RAF, despite the RAF categorically refuting that such a policy exists.

It's all so unverifiable, and phrases such as "amid claims that", "sources suggest" and "is reported to" are doing a whole lot of heavy lifting. Until and unless there's a bit more proof, I'm viewing it as sketchy at best.

It seems like people (not necessarily you DL) are quick to deride the BBC when it reports something they disagree with, but even quicker to take as gospel something they like the sound of.

I work with loads of great engineers at loads of companies, and maybe a quarter of them are female. 25 years ago, it would have been, I dunno, one percent. In the interim, the industry had a massive drive to recruit women and girls, and as a consequence the general quality of engineering staff has risen. Undoubtedly, some blokes don't get the jobs they would have got 20 years ago, but the haven't been "rejected", it's just that somebody better has that job. What the RAF is doing is similar, enlarging the pool they're fishing in and using better bait for the hard-to-reach prey.

Finally, there's a big difference between the terms "quota" and "target".
Shabu
Has liked: 4188 likes
Total likes: 2048 likes

Post by Shabu »

-DL- wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:46 am Man arrested for the the stabbing of the old bloke on the scooter:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-62587263
44 years old... Why?
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-62589667

Fined millions over the last few years yet still pumping **** out into the sea. :thdn:
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

smuts wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:31 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-62589667

Fined millions over the last few years yet still pumping **** out into the sea. :thdn:
Don't panic. The market will fix this, when people find out about it they'll just move to a different supplier
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Like clockwork.