In other news

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Re: In other news

Post by WHU Independent »

Amazonian Catfish found in Glasgo waters and 1ft Goldfish found in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... m0v3zbNiHc
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

WHU Independent wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:10 pm Amazonian Catfish found in Glasgo waters and 1ft Goldfish found in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... m0v3zbNiHc
Goldfish are easy prey for Pike and Heron due to their colouring.......
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

This is truly horrific:-

Brazilian man allegedly gassed to death in police car boot
The death of a black man who was forced into a police car boot where a gas grenade was set off has sparked outrage in Brazil.

Police stopped Genivaldo de Jesus Santos, 38, in the street in the north-eastern city of Umbaúba, Sergipe state, on Wednesday.
Video footage showed two officers holding down the boot the man was in as thick smoke billowed from the car.
An autopsy report on Thursday confirmed Mr Santos died of asphyxiation.
Brazil's federal highway police said a disciplinary proceeding has been opened to investigate the officers' conduct. An investigation has also been opened by the federal police into the circumstances of Mr Santos' death.

The video footage, widely circulated online, shows Mr Santos' legs dangling from the car, with the rest of his body inside. As he kicks and screams, two officers are seen pushing down on the boot door, while a gas grenade appears to be released inside.
"They're going to kill the guy," a bystander can be heard saying as Santos's legs stop moving.
His nephew said the officers left for the police station, and took him to the hospital when they realised he was unconscious. A police statement said Mr Santos was pronounced dead at the hospital.

more...
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

I don’t think I want to start a thread on the Jan 6 hearings in DC, as it’s a path that got thoroughly traveled upon in other threads. That said, the video presented at the hearing today comprised of previously unseen footage is compelling. Here it is if you are interested.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

F'ing mental :shock:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Fahx nooz sez it int true. Godnurf fer me.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

vietnammer wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:04 am Fahx nooz sez it int true. Godnurf fer me.
Bit early to be on the sauce?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Two rescued from vat of chocolate
First responders rescued two Mars Wrigley employees who fell into a chocolate tank Thursday at an Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, factory.

Lancaster County-Wide Communications received the call shortly before 2 p.m., telling PEOPLE that no injuries were reported but rescue workers had to cut a hole in the side of the tank to get them out. EMS was on the scene as a precaution.

"They were up to their waist in chocolate," says LCWC, noting that the chocolate was warm.

It is unclear how they fell into the tank.

more...
Mrs. Boots:- "I hope they didn't rescue them too quickly"
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Thought it'd be zero rated tbh.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

WCpete wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:40 am I don’t think I want to start a thread on the Jan 6 hearings in DC, as it’s a path that got thoroughly traveled upon in other threads. That said, the video presented at the hearing today comprised of previously unseen footage is compelling. Here it is if you are interested.
Thanks for that, Pete. :newthumb:
Shocking scenes.
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

Horrifying moment groom beats new wife at their WEDDING in Uzbekistan https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rticle-top
A sign of things to come? What a prick
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Feel sorry for the family having a 12 year old myself, but probably the right decision to switch off life support.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-61731843
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

MB wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:48 pm Feel sorry for the family having a 12 year old myself, but probably the right decision to switch off life support.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-61731843
Surely there would need to be more certainty than "likely".
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

alf git wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:42 pm Surely there would need to be more certainty than "likely".
You'd think so. The Family Court system is an abomination, I'm surprised we're even hearing about this, most of their vile work is done behind closed doors. The family need to appeal, medical fact today could easily be disregarded as a load of crud in the future, by then it'll be too late for the lad........
MB

Post by MB »

alf git wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:42 pm Surely there would need to be more certainty than "likely".
Sadly even if the lad isn't clinically dead then I think any chance of recovery has been ruled out so the result is the same (as coverd by the Judge in their Judgment).

Hospitals don't take these decisions lightly which makes me think they are certain.

It is awful, but the machines are so good that they can keep people alive (in the physical sense) almost indefinitely.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

MB wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:36 pm Sadly even if the lad isn't clinically dead then I think any chance of recovery has been ruled out so the result is the same (as coverd by the Judge in their Judgment).

Hospitals don't take these decisions lightly which makes me think they are certain.

It is awful, but the machines are so good that they can keep people alive (in the physical sense) almost indefinitely.
I realise that and don't necessarily disagree with any of it.
My issue is the wording. "Likely" isn't much of a benchmark. If they're certain, someone should come out and say it.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Reading between the lines, it does appear that the parent may well be religious and her legal action was supported and funded by a Christian charity. I couldn't help but spot that she said something along the lines of until it's God's way, she won't accept he should go.

This is where it starts to get muddy, because if it is God's way, turn the machine off and see what God does - after all, if she'd left it to God and not medical science in the first place, he'd already be gone. It is of course, very tragic, but in this world of finite resources and beds, how would she feel if another child with a chance of recovery passed away due to the bed and equipment being taken up by another child that has zero chance of recovery?

Brain stem death is death - let the young lad rest in peace.

EDIT: Link added to an earlier story which confirms doctors have stated he is brain-stem dead.
MB

Post by MB »

I thought the same DL. It is an odd statement to make in the circumstances, but how you stay sane in this situation as a parent I don't know!
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Bus driver snacks on gummies while driving not knowing they were thc ones :lol:

https://www.usnews.com/news/offbeat/art ... cluded-thc
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:40 am I don’t think I want to start a thread on the Jan 6 hearings in DC, as it’s a path that got thoroughly traveled upon in other threads. That said, the video presented at the hearing today comprised of previously unseen footage is compelling. Here it is if you are interested.
Tried watching this but couldn't. They're terrorists, plain & simple.