In other news

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

delbert
Has liked: 720 likes
Total likes: 700 likes

Re: In other news

Post by delbert »

Hammer1966 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:17 pm The hypocrisy charge is a load of old bollix. It's rolled out time and time again ( often on these very pages) when people disagree with the sentiment being expressed but don't want to engage in a discussion about the topic so they jump on the person saying it. So what if they are a hypocrite? The question is are they wrong in what they are talking about?
If someone decides to take a swipe at someone else then it's only fair their own shortcomings are brought up as well, further discussion can then fail to agree on whether they're wrong or not.......
DublinDave
Has liked: 2752 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Shabu wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:24 am Do many people get killed while inside UK prisons? I genuinely have no idea.
I've no idea either Shabu, if there isn't, I hope he's the exception to the norm...
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

Shabu wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:24 am Do many people get killed while inside UK prisons? I genuinely have no idea.
Not often but it has happened.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 889 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Hammer1966 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:17 pm The hypocrisy charge is a load of old bollix. It's rolled out time and time again ( often on these very pages) when people disagree with the sentiment being expressed but don't want to engage in a discussion about the topic so they jump on the person saying it. So what if they are a hypocrite? The question is are they wrong in what they are talking about?
I get your point, but the two things can be separated.

I disagree with Dara on this one, but it's all just opinion. So what who directly paid him, he made money from the setup in Qatar. The same when Hamilton et al do the F1 over there but aren't paid by them, it's still hypocritical.

Joe's message was right though IMO, despite the hypocrisy. My gripe with this and the Beckham thing is that the promotion of the message also promotes their career and visibility, so it's only fair for people to voice if they feel there is hypocrisy involved.

It's an easy PR win from their perspective. Not that the message is wrong, but if one truly solidified the principle of it all then there would be a huge array of companies, regimes and dare I say potential sponsorship that they should be boycotting on a daily basis.
r99c
Has liked: 704 likes
Total likes: 396 likes

Post by r99c »

The Miller & Carter restaurant boat at Lakeside Thurrock has sunk

delbert

Post by delbert »

Iceberg?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Three killed in Paris gun attack
A gunman has opened fire in central Paris, killing three people and wounding three others.

Witnesses said the attacker targeted a Kurdish community centre and restaurant and prosecutors said they would look into a possible racist motive.

A suspect, aged 69, was quickly arrested and it soon emerged he had been freed from prison recently.

Authorities appealed for people to avoid the area in Strasbourg-Saint Denis in the 10th district of Paris.

There is no confirmed motive for the shooting, but Paris Prosecutor Laure Beccuau confirmed that the suspect had previously been charged with racist violence.

That incident - in which he attacked tents at a migrant camp in Paris with a sword - took place at Bercy on 8 December 2021. It was not clear why he had recently been released.

Local Mayor Alexandra Cordebard said the suspect was also wounded in the shooting and that three places had come under fire: the Kurdish community centre, a restaurant and a hairdresser. Two people were shot in the salon.

more...
So a year after he attacked a migrant camp he's out and about to kill.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5672 likes
Total likes: 3089 likes

Post by MB »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:14 pm So a year after he attacked a migrant camp he's out and about to kill.
Clearly learnt from his year in prison; brought a gun this time rather than sword :swear:
kenthammer
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 400 likes

Post by kenthammer »

delbert wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:00 pmIceberg?
Russian sub
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

John Dodd RIP

Who? I hear you ask. John Dodd, creator of The Beast, a 27 litre RR Meteor engined 'Rolls Royce' car.

Both it and he were quite famous in their day, often featuring in car magazines and press.

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

r99c wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:35 pm The Miller & Carter restaurant boat at Lakeside Thurrock has sunk

Had many a good night in there was it was predominately a boozer back in the day when it was The Old Orleans.
Samba

Post by Samba »

r99c wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:35 pm The Miller & Carter restaurant boat at Lakeside Thurrock has sunk

'The pictures sparked concerns with those booked to enjoy a Christmas meal there tomorrow.'
:crylol:
Concerns???
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:14 pm Three killed in Paris gun attack

So a year after he attacked a migrant camp he's out and about to kill.
He's apparently attempted to murder people twice before. He had another go in 2016.
delbert

Post by delbert »

Is it worrying or bizarrely comforting that the French justice system is about as useless as our own?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

New image released as to the cause of the Miller and Carter sinking at Lakeside.

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5672 likes
Total likes: 3089 likes

Post by MB »

Wishing you a very Merry Guardian Christmas (these are over a number of years but oh my days!)

Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

The Guardian really are a bunch of miserable *****, don’t know how anyone can read it, maybe that’s why they are always begging for donations.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2179 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Gormalysis wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:46 pm The Guardian really are a bunch of miserable *****, don’t know how anyone can read it, maybe that’s why they are always begging for donations.
Apparently that's 8 years worth of stories. Still funny to look at though as a whole. Nice to have a bit of balance but I like a booze up and if I don't live to 90 so be it.
Samba

Post by Samba »

'10 years after UK's first hand transplant, patient and surgeon meet again.'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-64041081
'Mr Cahill said: "It's improved knocking one out, no end. Now, it always feels like someone else is doing it. Only trouble really, is that I quite often wake up in the middle of the night with it either trying to strangle me or the wife... I think it used to belong to a f*cking psychopath..."
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2051 likes

Post by Shabu »

A Maintenance Worker at a block of flats gets shot and killed on Christmas eve (& the evening of his 29th wedding anniversary) by a resident who looked out his window and thought he might be a burgler.

He was just checking for burst pipes.

Bloke leaves behind a wife and five kids.

No one arrested.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local ... 3302bdae0b