In other news

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: In other news

Post by smuts »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:33 pm Don't panic. The market will fix this, when people find out about it they'll just move to a different supplier
As usual it's probably a lack of investment and maintenance whilst still awarding dividends etc ala Thames Water.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

WCpete wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:58 am **** yeah

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/18/11180963 ... rm=nprnews
The second one looks like the kid off of Mad Max 2 😁
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62609217

Elshafee El Sheikh: Ex-Briton 'Isis Beatle' sentenced to life in prison

An Islamic State group militant from the UK has been sentenced to life in prison by a US court for his involvement with a terror cell.

El Shafee Elsheikh, 34, was convicted in April of hostage-taking, conspiracy to murder US citizens and supporting a terrorist organisation.

Addressing the Sudanese-born Londoner, the judge called his actions "horrific, barbaric, brutal and criminal".

Elsheikh was the highest profile IS fighter to stand trial in the US.

His actions are said to have resulted in the deaths of four US hostages.

Journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff and aid workers Kayla Mueller and Peter Kassig were all kidnapped and killed at the hands of the cell.

Elsheikh has been sentenced to eight life sentences, served concurrently, with no option for parole.

He declined the judge's offer to make a comment before sentencing was handed down - his silence has been consistent.

He did make a request - which was to not be sent to ADX in Colorado, a supermax prison that provides a higher, more controlled level of custody than a maximum security prison. Inmates there are kept largely in solitary confinement.

effin' good job.. and I hope the judge doesn't grant his request...
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:40 am … effin' good job.. and I hope the judge doesn't grant his request...
👍 I hope the **** rots in his God’s hell.
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:00 pm I work with loads of great engineers at loads of companies, and maybe a quarter of them are female. 25 years ago, it would have been, I dunno, one percent. In the interim, the industry had a massive drive to recruit women and girls, and as a consequence the general quality of engineering staff has risen. Undoubtedly, some blokes don't get the jobs they would have got 20 years ago, but the haven't been "rejected", it's just that somebody better has that job. What the RAF is doing is similar, enlarging the pool they're fishing in and using better bait for the hard-to-reach prey.

Finally, there's a big difference between the terms "quota" and "target".
I was a mechanic at West Ham bus garage when we got our first female driver, it truly was a breakthrough moment, more so after she caught me sniffing her recently vacated seat, I pretended I'd dropped me screwdriver in the cab.

On the RAF thingy, it's believable, not through official policy but through sycophantic report chasing which h is endemic in the armed forces. Let's say No1 Biggles states he'd like to see more diversity in amongst his pilots, then by the time this filters down to the mere mortals layers of lickspittle officers have added their own spin to it, they simply must be seen to be reinforcing the bosses message but in doing so have bent it out of shape.
It's the old "half hour before" syndrome, it goes thus. Brigadier wants one his unit's to be the ranges at 08:00 hrs, so mindful of how long it takes to issue weapons from the armoury and wanting the troops to have breakfast, states reveille should be 06:30hrs. As this travels down the chain of command each layer moves the timings earlier just to be on safe side, by time this gets down to the blokes they are getting up at 03:00hrs to start shooting at 08:00hrs and the Brigadier is left wondering why so many are having a mare.

On another note, if a plane driven by a bloke has a cockpit does one driven a woman have a c*ntpit?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:36 am FMOB.

Do you really think that people are being rejected from the RAF for being white men? You really believe that?

You don't think that article is just triggering you?

You don't think that the RAF are just trying to recruit more people who aren't white men?

Imagine a brown kid dreaming of joining the RAF and realising that less than 2.5% of the RAF isn't white. You'd question whether it's right for you, wouldn't you?

Now imagine that the RAF tell you that they really want you to apply, and you really do have a chance of getting in, despite their current demographic. So you apply.

Surely you can see that there's only positive outcomes there? Unless of course you think it's a bad thing that less qualified or suitable white people don't get the job anyway.
https://news.sky.com/story/raf-took-ste ... t-12676867

Seems to indicate different. :chin:
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:40 am Inmates there are kept largely in solitary confinement.
Solitary confinement is a form of torture, using it as a standard practise is cruel and unusual punishment (I know no one will care about the constitution when talking about terrorists).

If that's the only alternative option, with zero possibility of parole, they seriously need to just start having people like this shot.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Collison Theory wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:45 am Solitary confinement is a form of torture, using it as a standard practise is cruel and unusual punishment (I know no one will care about the constitution when talking about terrorists).

If that's the only alternative option, with zero possibility of parole, they seriously need to just start having people like this shot.
and lopping people's head off in front of a camera isn't cruel and unusual punishment ?

:eh:

I'm not against the death penalty per se, but that requires a law allowing it.

not every state has it.

and some might also say THIS is cruel and unusual punishment

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/death-row/ ... -death-row

Time on Death Row

Death-sentenced prisoners in the U.S. typically spend more than a decade on death row prior to exoneration or execution. Some prisoners have been on death row for well over 20 years.

There is no accurate measure of the length of time prisoners spend on death row. Some prisoners are on death row for only a short period of time before their convictions or death sentences are overturned in the courts. Other have spent more than four decades on death row before being exonerated or being non-capitally resentenced.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:39 am https://news.sky.com/story/raf-took-ste ... t-12676867

Seems to indicate different. :chin:
Does it though?

Or is it Sky News doubling down on rumour and innuendo in order to support their previous sketchy story?

More unnamed "sources" who "allege" nebulous things. It's worse than the transfer thread.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

How about that Finnish PM having to take a drugs test to prove her innocence when she was filmed dancing at a party? Wonder if any of our venerable Parliament would do the same?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^Talking of which, Gove has backed Sunak. As if his chances weren't slim enough already.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:16 pm ^^^Talking of which, Gove has backed Sunak. As if his chances weren't slim enough already.
There's an MP who needs drug testing.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:49 pm
and lopping people's head off in front of a camera isn't cruel and unusual punishment ?

:eh:

I'm not against the death penalty per se, but that requires a law allowing it.

not every state has it.

and some might also say THIS is cruel and unusual punishment

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/death-row/ ... -death-row

Time on Death Row

Death-sentenced prisoners in the U.S. typically spend more than a decade on death row prior to exoneration or execution. Some prisoners have been on death row for well over 20 years.

There is no accurate measure of the length of time prisoners spend on death row. Some prisoners are on death row for only a short period of time before their convictions or death sentences are overturned in the courts. Other have spent more than four decades on death row before being exonerated or being non-capitally resentenced.
Wow, an eye for an eye, you're going biblical here Cuenca! I know we don't have high expectation for America, but "act more civilised than ISIS" feels like a bar even they should be able to reach.

I am against the death penalty, I'm just it would be preferable to decades of solitary confinement.

Keep him chained up and all that, but let him speak to people. It's necessary for maintaining your sanity, and the American state should not be deliberately driving anyone insane.

This policy obstructs justice too. A British judge refused to extradite Assange because the Americans would put him in a torture prison. This is an issue I expect our legal system to have with tinpot dictatorships, not the "land of the free".
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

what I fail to understand here is, that you feel that executing someone would be preferable "for their own good" than solitary confinement.

the reason that there isn't a death penalty in many states is that it is considered "cruel and unusual punishment."

so killing them would be cruel and unusual punishment but confinement in solitary would be what ? effectively the same thing.

I'm not specifically for or against the death penalty I can see both sides of the argument. BUT. I do feel that some crimes are SO heinous that the perpetrator "deserves" it for want of a better term.

what about killing and torturing a young baby or like those people did to that poor little lad ?

to me those people can never be redeemed. NEVER. of course I am not a psychologist or that so I don't know. probably no one does 100%.

I think then, if that someone, who commits such an awful deed, if we (a collective and universal "we") decide that death isn't the answer, then they should be (imvho) deprived of liberty forever and a day and why should they have human company ? (again my opinion) that's a "perk" that they have deprived their victim of.

they deserve the worst possible punishment other than death (if that's what "we" decide) and
that should be the next worst thing. no human contact whatsoever.

anyway, a good and well reasoned debate

cheers

:newthumb:
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

I don't think the options are generally death sentence vs solitary confinement here. In states that have the death sentence it tends to be death penalty vs life in prison. However, if you do receive the death sentence you have to do solitary until death, which can last decades. Not only is that beyond inhumane, it also costs a whole lot more across the board.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Here's a story from Texas that's about as Texas as it gets.

A bloke at a bar & lounge gets into a disagreement with an unarmed security guard & shoots him several times, killing him. As he's fleeing he gets shot by another customer but escapes to his car which he then crashes down the street.

Old Bill grab & arrest him. The dead guard is a black man the killer is a 48 year old man who is a Black Lives Matter advocate (as we all should be).

Obviously the life of the man he murdered didn't matter that much.

I know I'm in the minority in America when I say this but I don't think guns & alcohol are a good mixture.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles ... restaurant
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

America, guns and alcohol are the foundations of the Darwin Awards.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:41 pm Does it though?

Or is it Sky News doubling down on rumour and innuendo in order to support their previous sketchy story?

More unnamed "sources" who "allege" nebulous things. It's worse than the transfer thread.
I was taking you somewhat seriously, now I know your having a laugh... :crylol:
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-62648427

RIP Olivia.

Another child victim of gangsters up in Liverpool.