In other news

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Re: In other news

Post by delbert »

Shabu wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:18 pm It was brave American teenagers with guns that overthrew the tyranny of King George, don't you know
Or alternatively, tax dodging terrorists coping the hump over the price of PG Tips.

Anyway, a story from another third world country: *

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-65274952

*TOMOS triggered in 3, 2, 1 :crossed:
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

Update on the 16 year old kid shot on the doorstep case. They arrested the bloke. Well, they have a warrant out for two felonies but they'd already let him go to his holiday house in Arizona to escape the attention.

But he's being charged with assault & something else. Apparently told the kid, between shots, "You don't come around here".

Thinks he's Clint Eastwood.

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

delbert wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:01 pm Anyway, a story from another third world country: *
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-65274952
*TOMOS triggered in 3, 2, 1 :crossed:
There's no way that I'm EVER calling it that.
Mainly because I can't pronounce it..
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Bloody hell, another one. What is wrong with people?

A group of young friends are going to some other friends house in a rural part of New York State. They realise their mistake & start to leave but the owner of the house comes out & starts shooting at them, killing a 20 year old girl in the car.

For no ****ing reason at all. Just starts shooting.

In this case the bloke gets arrested & charged with murder

https://www.news10.com/news/crime/man-c ... -shooting/
Daniel1895
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Daniel1895 »

It's their constitutional right to extinct themselves !
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Daniel1895 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:10 am It's their constitutional right to extinct themselves !
Be fine if it was just themselves. Its when they start extinct others that causes problems. Poor girls family.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

Came close to this happening with a couple of my employees. We had an event in Napa Valley. It was to end quite late so we rented an airbnb for the night for our people to rest. It's a long drive to the city after an exhausting production day. They pulled up to the cottage (in the middle of a vineyard, no other homes around) in our company truck and went to let themselves in. As they were trying to open the door a pickup truck came flying up the drive, and 2 men jumped out of the cab yelling at our guys to freeze. One had an AR-15 aimed at them. Fortunately my wife and I pulled in behind them and defused the situation. They wanted to shoot our employees because they were Latino, and they said so. "We thought they were going to rob our house, and besides, we don't allow ****ing Mexicans to rent our house." We all drove home, but my team almost ended up on the Mass Shooting thread.
Last edited by WCpete on Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Some of the problems in the USA....
Guns far too easily available + far too many people feeling paranoid + racism.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Shabu wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:00 am Bloody hell, another one. What is wrong with people?

A group of young friends are going to some other friends house in a rural part of New York State. They realise their mistake & start to leave but the owner of the house comes out & starts shooting at them, killing a 20 year old girl in the car.

For no ****ing reason at all. Just starts shooting.

In this case the bloke gets arrested & charged with murder
Not even racism this time..
Samba

Post by Samba »

WCpete wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:03 pm Came close to this happening with a couple of my employees. We had an event in Napa Valley. It was to end quite late so we rented an airbnb for the night for our people to rest. It's a long drive to the city after an exhausting production day. They pulled up to the cottage (in the middle of a vineyard, no other homes around) in our company truck and went to let themselves in. As they were trying to open the door a pickup truck came flying up the drive, and 2 men jumped out of the cab yelling at our guys to freeze. One had an AR-15 aimed at them. Fortunately my wife and I pulled in behind them and defused the situation. They wanted to shoot our employees because they were Latino, and they said so. "We thought they were going to rob our house, and besides, we don't allow ****ing Mexicans to rent our house." We all drove home, but my team almost ended up on the Mass Shooting thread.
F*cking lucky you were there, Pete.
Samba

Post by Samba »

If we had the same gun laws & availability over here, we'd have the same sort of atrocities.
If you own a gun & especially if you're are holding a gun, you're well on the way to using it, imo.
It's probably human nature; why have a gun if you're not going to use it?
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Chump change of a fine for Fox News. Dominion settles for 785 million

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/1 ... t-00092621
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Samba wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:14 pm If we had the same gun laws & availability over here, we'd have the same sort of atrocities.
If you own a gun & especially if you're are holding a gun, you're well on the way to using it, imo.
It's probably human nature; why have a gun if you're not going to use it?
I've asked this question to Americans before. Even ones that don't 'like' guns will answer "For protection"

"Protection against what?

"People with guns"

So you flood the market with guns then keep selling more guns to protect yourself from the other people like yourself :crossed:

Of course, the pro gun crowd will tell you, and show you the stats, that guns save many thousands of lives.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

WCpete wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:49 pm Chump change of a fine for Fox News. Dominion settles for 785 million

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/1 ... t-00092621
So I just went to foxnews website to see if they mention it & their main headlines are about...

Joe Bidens money
LGBTQ in Pittsburgh
Teens in Chicago going wild
Interviews with people who have stopped drinking Budlite
A black man in Chicago who's been arrested for robbing the same store 11 times in 5 months.

Not a mention of the almost billion dollar payout they've just made for telling lies
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

The top 100 cities for STDs in America has been released.

1 Memphis Tennessee
2 Jackson Mississippi
3 Columbia South Carolina

Yes, that's right. The top three are all in the bible belt. Which also leads the way in murders & gun crimes & is lowest on education.

San Diego is a lowly 49th. San Francisco is 15th, Pete, with 8362 Chlamydia cases among other ailments.

Salt Lake City, home of the Mormons, has almost as many Chlamydia cases as SF

https://www.innerbody.com/std-testing/s ... his-report
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Don't look at me. I haven't been to Salt Lake in 20 years.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Shabu wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:58 am So I just went to foxnews website to see if they mention it & their main headlines are about...

Joe Bidens money
LGBTQ in Pittsburgh
Teens in Chicago going wild
Interviews with people who have stopped drinking Budlite
A black man in Chicago who's been arrested for robbing the same store 11 times in 5 months.

Not a mention of the almost billion dollar payout they've just made for telling lies
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

And another one.

In Texas four 18 year old cheerleaders car pooled together. When they got to the supermarket car park one of them got into what she thought was her car but there was a bloke sitting there. She apologised & got out but the bloke came out & started shooting, hitting her & another cheerleader, the 2nd one critically injured (but luckily not dead).

He got arrested. This is four kids shot in six days, just because of simple mistakes.

As an aside, if an 18 year old cheerleader accidentally got into my car I might shoot my wad, but that's about it.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime ... 7e27aa6721
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Two grandsons & a nephew of the old bloke that shot the black kid speak out.

Grandson One says that he used to be close to him but grandad wet down the Fox news, American right wing rabbit hole in recent years. A 24 hour news cycle of fear & paranoia.

His older brother said his grandad was a decent man & he feels bad for the kid. But the old man genuinely believed he was in trouble. His wife is in hospital & he was alone & frightened.

Nephew say he's not racist, just a straightforward every day man.

Looks like grandson One is left wing/progressive while the other two lean right. We all see things through our own eyes, don't we.

https://news.yahoo.com/fear-paranoia-gr ... 50633.html
Samba

Post by Samba »

Maybe both cases are to do with some people not being completely mentally well?
Compounded by the simple fact that they own a gun.