In other news

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Re: In other news

Post by bonzosbeard »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:55 pm Dunno if this is West Ham news or just “news” but this just appeared in a times column and I’m struggling to comprehend how this could happen:

https://newsctrls.com/petra-ecclestone- ... g-day/amp/

How the hell did that ghastly family get hold of our trophy??
We don't even keep it.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

bonzosbeard wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:30 pm We don't even keep it.
Evidently not - but who had it before selling it to that horrible mob?
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:55 pm Dunno if this is West Ham news or just “news” but this just appeared in a times column and I’m struggling to comprehend how this could happen:

https://newsctrls.com/petra-ecclestone- ... g-day/amp/

How the hell did that ghastly family get hold of our trophy??
I'm calling fake.

The 1980 FA cup is the trophy that was used between 1911 and 1992.
According to Wikipedia the only trophy in private hands is the replica made when the original was stolen in 1895.
It was bought by the owner of Manchester City from David Gold and currently resides in The National Football Museum.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Cup# ... on%20house.
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Rooney 1-0 Vardy
Pathetic waste of time and money
Shabu
Has liked: 4165 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Post by Shabu »

Interesting three part article looking into the 'kidnapping' of young, pretty, blonde "Supermom" Sherri Papini who went missing while out on a jog, was presumed probably dead then turned up three weeks later, beaten, branded & starved, with an incredible story of her escape from two Hispanic women who were going to sell her as a sex slave.

Then the case went cold for 5+ years until police made a startling arrest.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article263190633.html

Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

The news is awash with the wag story and yet yesterday a nine year old girl (yes, nine) was stabbed to death in broad daylight. Earlier the wag story was the main news article on the BBC. The mind boggles.

I still can’t even work out what they think happened. Only that two people have been arrested and that the childs family are being supported.
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by hammer etc »

Denzil wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:09 pm The news is awash with the wag story and yet yesterday a nine year old girl (yes, nine) was stabbed to death in broad daylight. Earlier the wag story was the main news article on the BBC. The mind boggles.

I still can’t even work out what they think happened. Only that two people have been arrested and that the childs family are being supported.
You are right it is a terrible story,how her family and friends are feeling I don't know. But to be honest there is not much more they can write. This is a murder case and there are rules the papers have to follow. The two people have been released without charge and a third man has been arrested.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Denzil wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:09 pm The news is awash with the wag story and yet yesterday a nine year old girl (yes, nine) was stabbed to death in broad daylight. Earlier the wag story was the main news article on the BBC. The mind boggles.

These stories make me feel sick. Nine years old ffs. :(

As you say, ALL the news (and sports) channels are interested in are a pair of c**** whose husbands kick a ball about.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

Man arrested on suspicion of murdering missing woman from Basildon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-e ... 355829.amp

A man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering a 30-year-old woman who disappeared a week ago.

Madison Wright, a mother from Basildon, in Essex, was last seen on Friday 22 July.

Essex Police said her car, a black Vauxhall Astra, was found in Brackendale Avenue in the town on Tuesday.

A 36-year-old man from Pitsea, Essex, was arrested this morning and remains in police custody, the force said.

Det Supt Rob Kirby said: "Madison is a young mum, with a family who love her and are desperately worried about her.

"She's been missing for a week today and is still missing, and we desperately need to find her.

"When she was last seen she was wearing a pink top, black trousers, and flip flops."

This story, which has been picked up by most local and national news agencies now, has been unfolding next door to me; specifically, the maisonette immediately below mine in our five-property maisonette block. There's been a permanent police presence at the entrance to the block since 6.30am on Friday, and there have been two or three forensics vans here with teams working in there from the crack of dawn to the other side of midnight. We're having to sign in and out whenever we want to leave the building. As I write this, Wat Tyler Park and Pitsea Tip have been cordoned off while cops search that area.

It's all very surreal. These are our neighbours.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

It's always surreal when it's your neighbours.

This foul pair were actually our next-door neighbours, and the son helped us move. As is mostly the case with wrong 'uns like this, we had no idea - although the offences were committed after we'd gone, so who knows if we'd clocked something amiss or not.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

I haven't heard the word 'maisonette' in 25 years.

So long, in fact, that I'm not 100% sure what it is anymore. A 2 story flat?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Shabu wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:29 pm I haven't heard the word 'maisonette' in 25 years.
It's what they shout at posh bingo.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Shabu wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:29 pm I haven't heard the word 'maisonette' in 25 years.

So long, in fact, that I'm not 100% sure what it is anymore. A 2 story flat?
Usually a house that’s been converted (badly) into two flats.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

last.caress wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:00 am Man arrested on suspicion of murdering missing woman from Basildon

Body found in Wat Tyler Park. :(
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:19 pm Body found in Wat Tyler Park. :(
Yup. They've charged the guy who lived downstairs with her (she moved in with him about 2½ years ago).

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/205910 ... on-wright/
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

hammer etc wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:37 am You are right it is a terrible story,how her family and friends are feeling I don't know. But to be honest there is not much more they can write. This is a murder case and there are rules the papers have to follow. The two people have been released without charge and a third man has been arrested.
22 year old charged with her murder. Words just fail me.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

This is a weird one, even by US standards.

A University professor at the Uni of West Georgia is at a Pizzeria at around Midnight on Friday. He gets into a row with some bloke & threatens him with a gun, bloke tells security so Professor gets asked to leave.

Then he walks into the car park next door & fires a load of bullets into a car, killing an 18 year old girl who was due to start at his college later this month.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/georgia-p ... n/40769460#
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Its his Constitutional right to have a heavily-armed tantrum against an inanimate object.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

alf git wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:02 pm I'm calling fake.

The 1980 FA cup is the trophy that was used between 1911 and 1992.
According to Wikipedia the only trophy in private hands is the replica made when the original was stolen in 1895.
It was bought by the owner of Manchester City from David Gold and currently resides in The National Football Museum.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Cup# ... on%20house.
Then I guess the one I held aloft when I visited the place was the one Billy held twice.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... g-her.html

Forensics teams are still all over our block. Yesterday they were checking all the drains up and down the street, and this evening they've had a tent up out the front where they've been taking bags of trash. Plus they're in and out of their maisonette constantly, of course. We're starting to get to know the different shifts of cops manning the block doors 24/7 but we're all still having to sign in and out. The murdered woman's cats are wandering about in the street. Three of them. The cops have been giving them water and treats but they don't trust anyone enough to allow themselves to be picked up. They've nowhere to go.