In other news

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Re: In other news

Post by EvilC »

These are relatives of a friend of mine. RIP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-65227638
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

An interesting insight into how the linguistic contortions of the trans/gender ID stuff have buggered up part of the census.
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3202 likes

Post by WCpete »

This kid is ufcked

djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

^ Has it been said why he leaked the documents yet... i'm not getting the same vibe as Snowden/Chelsea Mannings about this one??

Also how the f*** a 21 year old had access to such things in a capacity that allowed him to then leak it is certainly going raise a lot of questions and changes i'd imagine.
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

djclipz wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:28 pm ^ Has it been said why he leaked the documents yet... i'm not getting the same vibe as Snowden/Chelsea Mannings about this one??

Also how the **** a 21 year old had access to such things in a capacity that allowed him to then leak it is certainly going raise a lot of questions and changes i'd imagine.
This BBC article makes seem like he was trying to impress people online. It wasn’t so much leaking as it was bragging.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65271348
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

That is mad and inevitably they will throw the book at him.
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3202 likes

Post by WCpete »

10 years per document, and he'll do the time in solitary.

As for how he had access, supposedly thousands, if not tens of thousands of officials and their underlings have access to even the most sensitive of documents. Insane but probably unsurprising.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

djclipz wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:01 pm That is mad and inevitably they will throw the book at him.
He'll probably just leak that too.
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

I didn't even know about gratis kids savings accounts

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/mon ... gs-2048075
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1875 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

That is absolutely disgraceful.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 896 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:16 pm That is absolutely disgraceful.
I agree, there needs to be an easier way.

I work for a firm that administers for management companies, including those that have CTF products.

Generally, when they approach 18, we send the maturity letter with the spiel on what we need for verification purposes. Unfortunately, it's difficult to electronically verify someone who is young because they haven't been on the voters roll for long (or at all) and there isn't enough of a footprint lt to satisfy our requirements.

In these cases, we would need legal documentation that evidences that the parent or whoever has control over the account holder's assets, usually a court of protection in this case. It is a pain in the ar*e for the parent and something we as an administrator are looking at other (easier) avenues go fulfill our regulatory obligations whilst mitigating a certain level of risk.

All these anti-money laundering and financial crime prevention measures are usually in reaction to a set of events. In this case, we have seen parents trying to illegally access their children's money upon maturity (usually a messy divorce with a distant parent thinking they can take it). Regardless, IMO it needs to be made easier in these very niche situations.

Fortunately, the FCA are bringing in an enhanced set of rules focusing on consumer outcomes (called Consumer Duty), where basically we have to be able to cater for instances like this and essentially give more of a bespoke service rather than the usual 'computer says no' rubbish. We are due to be compliant with this by the end of July.

What I find a bigger con than what happened in this story, is that most parents who got the £250 invested for their kid, didn't put more in. One of our clients charges a £40 odd yearly admin fee. So we see parents getting in touch 17 years down the line and finding out it's worthless because the fees outweighed any growth. The parents would have been sent annual statements but for whatever reason ignored it, didn't understand it or whatever. Although it costs money to maintain and administer these accounts, that still doesn't sit right with me.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

This could be the next big story here in the US.

Just north east of Kansas City a 16 year old lad goes to pick up his younger twin brothers, but he goes to 115th Street instead of 115th Terrace (just around the corner).

He rings the doorbell & the person in the house looks out, sees a young black man & shoots him in the head. He then opens the door & shoots him again as he's laying on the floor.

Luckily the kid is alive but in hospital. Police spoke to the homeowner but didn't arrest him.

Ralph Yarl, the 16 year old, is at a gifted student school. Gifted as in really smart not 'special'. He's from a family of doctors & high achievers. If the bloke ain't arrested I can see this one blowing up. There are already protests outside the house.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/we-are-pra ... i/43613275
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Blimey, even Halle Berry's getting involved...

delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

If you're going to allow everyone to arm themselves then they at least must be accountable if they use them, I make that two failings for the price of one.........
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

What are all the Americans so scared of? They seem excessively petrified of everything. "Oh maah gawd there's someone I don't know at my front door. I'm a gonna shoot him" What goes through their minds??
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

I worked with a client in America last week. He randomly asked "what do the Brits think of us". I remembered I was being paid for the session :) so was a bit more subtle than is usually the case and gave what I consider to be an anodyne answer. Instead of commenting on American politics I focussed on the guns issue (which I know is political) and (understatedly said) that the majority of us do not understand the attitude of countless millions in the US to guns. When I told him we'd had two gun massacres (have we had more? - i could only think of Dunblane and Hungerford) in my lifetime I could see that he was shocked. I still got the impression he was disappointed in what I thought was a gentle-as-I-could-put-it answer. Different mind-sets.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

UK: "He said he was carrying a steak knife for reassurance, although he was not expecting trouble"

No link, no comment
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:23 am I worked with a client in America last week. He randomly asked "what do the Brits think of us". I remembered I was being paid for the session :) so was a bit more subtle than is usually the case and gave what I consider to be an anodyne answer. Instead of commenting on American politics I focussed on the guns issue (which I know is political) and (understatedly said) that the majority of us do not understand the attitude of countless millions in the US to guns. When I told him we'd had two gun massacres (have we had more? - i could only think of Dunblane and Hungerford) in my lifetime I could see that he was shocked. I still got the impression he was disappointed in what I thought was a gentle-as-I-could-put-it answer. Different mind-sets.
It was brave American teenagers with guns that overthrew the tyranny of King George, don't you know
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Shabu wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:18 pm It was brave American teenagers with guns that overthrew the tyranny of King George, don't you know
Have read an hactual history of this, despite rushing past the battle descriptions. Stand outs for me were that not everyone joined in or supporrted, and that the Independence fighters were massively under-supplied, many of them using improvised footwear or barefoot. Brave indeed.