Takeover talk

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Re: Takeover talk

Post by bonzosbeard »

In my opinion people who Don't pay tax are dispicable.

Fed up of Rod Stewart saying things like he'll buy the NHS a scanner or Bono telling us what charity to pay to while even the poorest of us pay more tax into the coffers than they do. Rod is back in UK now but spent a lot of time away to avoid it.

Once you can easily pay your bills how much do you really need? Struggling to come over not sounding envious but im not arguing that they have more than earned it. Maybe they just like counting it.

I would never base myself away from uk to avoid tax, but of course I know some here will strongly argue the other side to the case.

I guess whoever takes over while be a money chaser. We'll just have to hope West Ham will be able to go along with the ride.
Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by Kermit »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:23 am In my opinion people who Don't pay tax are dispicable.

Fed up of Rod Stewart saying things like he'll buy the NHS a scanner or Bono telling us what charity to pay to while even the poorest of us pay more tax into the coffers than they do. Rod is back in UK now but spent a lot of time away to avoid it.

Once you can easily pay your bills how much do you really need? Struggling to come over not sounding envious but im not arguing that they have more than earned it. Maybe they just like counting it.

I would never base myself away from uk to avoid tax, but of course I know some here will strongly argue the other side to the case.

I guess whoever takes over while be a money chaser. We'll just have to hope West Ham will be able to go along with the ride.
You make a fair point. But, and isn't there al;ways a "but" ? If someone chooses to live elsewhere surely they have no obligation to pay taxes in the UK. And in any case surely it's the system, that for example allows tax havens, that is at fault and not the people who exploit the system, quite legitimately, to take advantage of it.

A conundrum indeed. But if and when we do end up with new owners no doubt we will all turn a blind eye to whatever dubious practices they indulged in to create their pile and the methods they use to keep most of it away from the taxman's grasp.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2894 likes
Total likes: 619 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

I quite agree about tax havens, they’re used almost exclusively by the rich to avoid paying taxes or very often people who are trying to hide their gotten gains. I’m just watching The Trauma Zone, Russia 1985-1999 on BBC IPlayer, mind boggling what went on there. The IMF loaned the country $4.8 billion, it was transferred to a private account in Jersey hours after the funds arrived in Russia and a few days later the money disappeared and has never been traced.
In Rod Stewart’s case, he chose to live in the USA, where basic tax rates were way lower, Bono invested money into a tax avoidance scheme.
Do what I say, not what I do.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2751 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Post by DublinDave »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:23 am In my opinion people who Don't pay tax are dispicable.

Agree with you re Rod Stewart Bonzo but Bono pays tax in Ireland, like the rest of U2 do, because that's where they live...
Reg Stretch
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Reg Stretch »

DublinDave wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:07 pm Agree with you re Rod Stewart Bonzo but Bono pays tax in Ireland, like the rest of U2 do, because that's where they live...
They set up companies and bought warehouses etc all over Europe so that they hardly have to pay any tax in Ireland… bono preaches at me on the news to feed the starving then takes his family out for a £5k meal… biggest hypocrite of the lot… do they ever take their multi million dollar world tours to Africa ? Or put on a free concert in the poor townships where kids walk 10 miles to school or for drinking water ? Maybe brighten just one day for them ? No because there’s no money to be made out of the African economies
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 502 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

I reckon anyone with the necessary funds to buy any PL club is likely to have a few skeletons in their closet or at least have engaged in some shady deals. After that, it’s personal preference regarding who’s worse.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Skandi Brudson wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:34 pm I reckon anyone with the necessary funds to buy any PL club is likely to have a few skeletons in their closet or at least have engaged in some shady deals. After that, it’s personal preference regarding who’s worse.
There's shady deals and then there's all of the money coming from a regime regularly dropping bombs on civilians in Yemen.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2751 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Reg Stretch wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:29 pm They set up companies and bought warehouses etc all over Europe so that they hardly have to pay any tax in Ireland… bono preaches at me on the news to feed the starving then takes his family out for a £5k meal… biggest hypocrite of the lot… do they ever take their multi million dollar world tours to Africa ? Or put on a free concert in the poor townships where kids walk 10 miles to school or for drinking water ? Maybe brighten just one day for them ? No because there’s no money to be made out of the African economies
I stand corrected... I just assumed they did tbh, after a Google search turns out he is indeed a barstool..!
Mullhull
Has liked: 328 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

DublinDave wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:57 pm I stand corrected... I just assumed they did tbh, after a Google search turns out he is indeed a barstool..!
South Park parodied him massively. He's the biggest piece of ****.

All this talk recently of takeovers has me thinking, why haven't we been approached? Ok we have DK come in but why haven't we been the interested of an Arab consortium or a US billionaire?

I don't include PI Capital in this...
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

We certainly have been “approached” we had the whole PH (I think that’s what they were called) saga a few years ago, some iTKs on here have said there have been offers as well.

Unless Sullivan says the club is for sale or someone goes to the press saying they want to buy us it’s doubtful any of us would hear anything
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

DublinDave wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:07 pm Agree with you re Rod Stewart Bonzo but Bono pays tax in Ireland, like the rest of U2 do, because that's where they live...
I recall when U2 moved all, or at least the bulk of their business to Amsterdam for tax purposes. Caused quite a stir in their homeland ( though of course The Edge is Barking born Welsh and Adam Clayton English and Bono technically half British too). It's a global world, as we on and off the pitch.

Do find it interesting that a lot of property in and around the Olympic Park is Qatari owned, so you would expect some interest in the club/stadium.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Essexmaniac wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:54 pm

Do find it interesting that a lot of property in and around the Olympic Park is Qatari owned, so you would expect some interest in the club/stadium.
Me too, and despite the gaff not meeting the needs of fans inside it looks amazing from the air on tv. Someone is going to get a bargain.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

it's all wishful thinking. We aren't going to be saved.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Not great news for anyone hoping to see the back of the current chair and his administration imminently:

https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=137815
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:51 pm Not great news for anyone hoping to see the back of the current chair and his administration imminently
Mentioned this earlier.
He is a business man and isn't gonna pay £600m for something that maybe we worth way less is 4 months.

Nor is Sully gonna accept less when maybe he can get £600m in 4 months.
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

Fair weather supporter!
Too occupied with helping destroy the 500+ year history of the Royal Mail.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:51 pm Not great news for anyone hoping to see the back of the current chair and his administration imminently
I hope Sullivan is having sleepless nights over it all
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Ozza wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:05 pm I hope Sullivan is having sleepless nights over it all
The silver lining of our diabolical situation is knowing that grubby little spiv is suffering.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Coops wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:08 pm The silver lining of our diabolical situation is knowing that grubby little spiv is suffering.
It’s the only thing bringing a smile to my face mate
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

I thought a price had already been agreed for Kretinski?