Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Re: Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:10 am The sign of a successful transfer strategy is that deadwood won't exist or will be far less prevalent.

Since January

Randolph >>> Roberto
Coufal >>> Zabaleta, age 35
Dawson >>> .......
Soucek >>> Sanchez + Wilshere + Cullen
Benrahma >>> Diangana + Haksabanovic
Bowen >>> Anderson
........ >>>> Hugill + Ajeti + Silva

If we consider how ineffective, faded, aged, disinterested most of the outs have been - it does look like Moyes is generally taking the squad in the right direction. The names are less flashy and illustrious, and I'd guess they have pay packets to match.

Be interested to see if the Danish CB gets done with arrival in January.
I don’t have a problem with the out’s per se Bubbs (think we could have even added a few more). I am of the view that the in’s were lacking. I think we’ve got capacity for some young players who would spend a year as squad players with a view to phasing out the older players in the squad next year.

As it is we’ve kicked the can down the road for a number of squad positions and saved a tonne of wedge in the process. Neither the fans nor the manager benefit from that approach - the owners do. Players like Rodon, Grimes, Pearson (that we were linked with) may have been astute long term purchases. Our transfer business is made binary by lack of planning - we will need a centre back next summer who unequivocally has to be the first choice star centre back. Same for left back, potentially same for keeper. We may also need someone ready to replace Declan. That’s a lot of transfers that we can’t afford to get wrong in one window.

Hate to say it but Spurs have approached it in a much more strategic way since the turn of the century and that is one of the reasons they’ve typically done better than us.

We’ve probably improved the squad for sure, have we improved it ‘enough’....not sure personally

I’m growing to like the way Moyes has approached things - I don’t see him being backed particularly though. I think if he had been then we’d have pretty much been able to move to safe mid table for the next two seasons (and been able to have a crack at the cup). As it is I still see bottom third and out in the early rounds.

7th highest income in the league and we have to cross our fingers that Soucek and Rice stay fit - that’s poor planning imo.

#GSBOUT
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Spurs have more money than us. A multi billionaire owner who invested huge amounts fifteen years ago.

They have backed Maureen to the tune of about £90m net this summer. There's a huge gulf in wealth and investment between their ownership and ours.

You know my view on our lot - they were ok for the Boleyn but the minute we moved into a 60k stadium with the expectation that brings, then they were out of their depth.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:39 am You know my view on our lot - they were ok for the Boleyn but the minute we moved into a 60k stadium with the expectation that brings, then they were out of their depth.
:thup:
I do think it goes beyond that though - there is still little evidence of a strategy or two/three year plan to our business imo. Under their ownership transfer windows always seem to be very much ‘crisis mode’. That’s on them, whether OS or Boleyn.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

hammer1975 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:52 am :thup:
I do think it goes beyond that though - there is still little evidence of a strategy or two/three year plan to our business imo. Under their ownership transfer windows always seem to be very much ‘crisis mode’. That’s on them, whether OS or Boleyn.
Their strategy has been clear since 2010.

Get Karen to keep the numbers tight.
Move to the olympic stadium at whatever cost.
Try to keep managers in place for as long as possible and ideally until the end of their contract.
Buy players as and when needed.
Convince the fans that they bought the club because they're fans.

But as for a 2/3 year transfer policy, it's never even crossed their minds.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

They have a strategy which seems very clear to me.

Plan for three years - one year of PL money + 2 years of parachute payments. It is a strategy that is based on relegation coming along at some point with the working assumption always being - it could be our turn.

A club like Tottenham doesn't think like that. If the potential even vaguely arises as it did under Ramos (?), the owner will stump up and buy their way out of it.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

just think we can do it all again in January !
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

They simply don’t have the money of income from other businesses to own a Premiership club.

Conegate is all assets no income
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:39 am Spurs have more money than us. A multi billionaire owner who invested huge amounts fifteen years ago.

They have backed Maureen to the tune of about £90m net this summer. There's a huge gulf in wealth and investment between their ownership and ours.

You know my view on our lot - they were ok for the Boleyn but the minute we moved into a 60k stadium with the expectation that brings, then they were out of their depth.
Ten years net player trading - WHU -£250m ,Spurs - £180m - Stadium cost WHU initial £15m + £2.5m a year,Spurs £800m! Training facilities WHU - sub £ 10m,Spurs £45m+
Don't kid yourself it's all down to super rich owners and excuse David Sullivan,ably supported by Gold and Brady, for the shoddy,self serving running of our club!
I remember Arsene Wenger claiming that one of his biggest fears was the thought of West Ham getting the OS and the huge potential that would enable - He ,obviously, didn't factor in the "GSB affect"!!
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Spurs are trading at a different financial level to us.

They typically pay more for players then us but they sell players for more then we do.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

The only hope is a takeover and the belief that no one could run our club as badly as gsb. the bowl can hopefully be improved aong with training facilities and a proper plan for the club over the next 5-10 years.

maybe one day we will be successful again. a cup win and euro football would do me.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Adecoker wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:02 am I am all for putting a positive slant on things but justifying the cheap sale of 1 of our brightest academy players on the basis that we "needed cash" is just taking the pee. Stockholm syndrome? appeasement at all costs? board troll? just trying to work out what kind of mind would come to such a conclusion.
But that was the reality by the look of things, Haller payments, running costs and wages all against a background of reduced and unreliable season ticket sales - most of what they got in in sales will have to go back.

No cash flow and more importantly no-one wanting the players injuries and MP had landed us with. Had we had serious bids for the likes of Anderson, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Wilshere at that time then any of those would have been sold ahead of Diangana. Sullivan new exactly what reaction the Diangana sale would get, if it is true the cost is an achievable £18m then it is also not a bad price, hardly “cheap” as it reflects broadly what Palace paid for Eze.

People do not see getting rid of the deadwood as a positive - guess they see the alternative of keeping them and paying them a fortune for doing nothing as a positive therefore. Yes it is an admission of past mistake but at least it is trying to sort them not let them fester.

Whether we should have then looked at Benrahma is a different question. For me he has Sullivan written all over him, an entertainer with a trick, the sort of FIFA player Sullivan loves - he would happily see a team of these I believe, rather than a boring but necessary cog in a wheel which is likely what Moyes would prefer.

But we know Moyes is likely out of here come next summer to be replaced by another trick/flick manager no doubt who will “get the best out of” Benrahma, a returning Anderson or both as Sullivan throws Moyes under a bus for not utilising the flair players or for a lack of stylish football that the West Ham fans demand.

The only time we have had any form of real plan under a manager was Big Sam, he knew exactly what he wanted otherwise it has been throw together 11 players and see what happens.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

If we lose to Spurs tomorrow will this suddenly become the January window thread?
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

smuts wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:33 am Have to agree. Bloody awful window.

Selling Grady was bad enough because we have too many wingers then loaning and perhaps eventually buying another older one from the Championship is just baffling.

Let's be honest, they sold him because they needed the cash for the Haller instalment.

We spend all summer chasing centre backs and then end up loaning one who's own fans were delighted to see go. Silly 30m bids for Tarkowski yet the brightest CB prospect in the championship goes to Spurs for 11m on deadline day? Either they'd agreed it in principle ages ago or he had the wrong agent.

Coufal looks good to be fair.

Getting rid of the deadwood sums up how awful the majority of our business has been. 40m on Anderson and he ends out on loan after about 10 good games in 2 and a bit seasons.
If we sold Grady to pay the Haller instalment, then where did the money for Said (and Coufal) suddenly come from?

Nothing about this window makes any sense to me. We had zero cash, but then suddenly had £15-20m to "buy" a winger after selling a winger to address squad imbalance. (And yes, I know Behrama eventually was a loan deal, but we were seemingly all set to stump up a large initial transfer fee).

I still don't know why we didn't go in for Rodon, even if we would have eventually ended up being gazumped by Spurs. Not ready for the Prem? Too injury prone?
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Dp
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

ashbanki wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:15 am Ten years net player trading
The money went in 15 or so years ago when they were buying Carrick, Defoe, Berbatov, Keane etc.

"Net" player trading can be a very disingenuous statistic.

If I buy a player for £1, and don't sell anybody - and another club sells £500m and spends 500m I'm the bigger net investor, but the one spending £500m gets more choice and quality than I get for my pound.

Yes, Spurs have done well to grow the value of their players, and yes, our owners are a bit pony ( We've lost Parker, Ba, Payet and Arnautovic for £50m in total) - but the huge swathes of money Lewis sank into Spurs whilst we were in a mess following the redevelopment of the Boleyn and the Roeder relegation is where they truly gained the upper hand, imo.

For a fair amount of the two-three decades before that there wasn't much at all between Spurs and West Ham - both teams playing in 35,000 seat stadiums, with the odd bit of cup glory and the odd flirtation near the top. I'm old enough to remember Spurs getting relegated.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:24 pm If we sold Grady to pay the Haller instalment, then where did the money for Said (and Coufal) suddenly come from?
Looks to me that, apart from clearing the deadwood, it was decided we needed 2 things at the start of the window: 1. Pay the Haller installment, 2. A top class CB.

Selling Grady dealt with #1. We had about £20-30m for #2.

Then I think was a change of strategy for #2. Maybe helped by playing 3 @ the Back resulting in 2 clean sheets? And Burnley playing hardball over the Tarkowski price?

So Sulli decided Dawson would do until Jan, and the opportunity to get Benrahma was too good to miss.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

All I can say is that everything adds up to Sullivan selling, but maybe that's wishful thinking. I thought Moyes deserved the job first time round and I'm glad he's there now. He's kept a bit of dignity, which is otherwise utterly lacking in the ownership of the club.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

mattyD wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:25 pm All I can say is that everything adds up to Sullivan selling, but maybe that's wishful thinking. I thought Moyes deserved the job first time round and I'm glad he's there now. He's kept a bit of dignity, which is otherwise utterly lacking in the ownership of the club.
If Sulli was selling then why enrol the help of Jim White from Sky?

They aint selling yet.
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

bizarre window and a joke of a club.

i wonder who from this list we will be signing in january:
https://www.transfermarkt.us/unique-spo ... rater/4142
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

paulhs1 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:43 pm If Sulli was selling then why enrol the help of Jim White from Sky?

They aint selling yet.
Why wouldn't you want to use him to sell the message you want to give? Fact is judging by what's been said he still wants 600m which is unlikely to be met, in which case why would he want to advertise he wants to sell the club which achieves nothing in itself and would only increase the animosity should it not thereafter succeed and if anything boost the position of any potential buyer during the whole process. This is exactly the way he would play it surely deny it all and will continue to do so until the last minute of any deal going through and he can get out with his mountain of dosh... other than leaving a very unpleasant Smell.