Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Paolopaul
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 301 likes

Re: Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Post by Paolopaul »

It’s definitely not been a great window, but with there only being 12 games until we can sign players again we might get away with it - which is what Sullivan is relying on.

The scattergun approach to the transfer market has been a big problem, it’s no surprise that in the end it’s just salthouse clients we’ve signed.

GSB have really done an amazingly terrible job to create this much negativity in a season where we arguably have had our two best results and performances in years.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:52 pm Illustrates how ridiculously short we are in CM.
Yep, the sale of Cullen for peanuts was both baffling and pointless if we weren't going to get a better replacement in.

:?
vaz te's bonnet
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by vaz te's bonnet »

You just hope Moyes can now start putting work into the behind the scenes staff and start building the infrastructure. There was talk of that simakan in January well we know have the money for that.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Have to agree. Bloody awful window.

Selling Grady was bad enough because we have too many wingers then loaning and perhaps eventually buying another older one from the Championship is just baffling.

Let's be honest, they sold him because they needed the cash for the Haller instalment.

We spend all summer chasing centre backs and then end up loaning one who's own fans were delighted to see go. Silly 30m bids for Tarkowski yet the brightest CB prospect in the championship goes to Spurs for 11m on deadline day? Either they'd agreed it in principle ages ago or he had the wrong agent.

Coufal looks good to be fair.

Getting rid of the deadwood sums up how awful the majority of our business has been. 40m on Anderson and he ends out on loan after about 10 good games in 2 and a bit seasons.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Not happy with the owners and would prefer more players in but think Moyes can work with what we got

Fornals can drop deep if injuries

Maybe even push diop to CDM with Dawson replacing him if Ness or coufal prob can fill in CDM with Frederick's replacing him

Small tight squad

Works for wolves
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Anyone know why none of the signings were unveiled at the stadium, for the usual pictures etc?
Adecoker
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Adecoker »

I am all for putting a positive slant on things but justifying the cheap sale of 1 of our brightest academy players on the basis that we "needed cash" is just taking the pee. Stockholm syndrome? appeasement at all costs? board troll? just trying to work out what kind of mind would come to such a conclusion.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

S-H wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:02 am Anyone know why none of the signings were unveiled at the stadium, for the usual pictures etc?
Thought that myself, there was a video of a load of cars heading into the stadium last night supposedly Benrahma

They normally post an interview with the player too
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

The good
  • Keeping Declan Rice. Make no mistake this was the number one priority for us this window, and will be in upcoming ones. If we sell him we have to replace him and that won’t be easy.
  • Signing Coufal. With Fredericks not good/consistent enough, and Johnson very unproven, signing a new right back was definitely something which needed to happen.
  • Moving on the deadwood. Getting the likes of Sanchez, Wilshere, Hugill, and Roberto off the books was a good thing.
The bad
  • Failing to strengthen LB and CB. For most, I think we’d all have said, after keeping Rice, a left back was the next priority. It didn’t happen. Moyes clearly wanted a new quality centre back. It didn’t happen.
  • Leaving the squad lacking depth in certain positions. By moving on a number of players, we had to replace one or two of them to give us some depth. We shifted 3 CMs with 0 new ones coming in. We shifted 2 STs with 0 new ones coming in. We’re 2/3 injuries away from big problems.
  • How we continue to conduct transfers. Where do we start and end on this point. Yesterday was a casing example with us scrambling a deal over the extended deadline. Why wasn’t the deal done earlier in the window? Get deals done early so players have time to gel with the squad too. Deals done with a buy now pay later approach. Leaking information to the press. Etc etc. It’s embarrassing.
  • Selling Diangana. Whether this proves to be the right or wrong thing long term we can only wait and see. However the whole way it was done leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth. We as fans want to see our young players play for the club and become heroes, not sold on. Players, including the captain, speaking out against it FFS. Sold cheaply unless we had to sell - we were told we did have to sell so we could reinvest in other positions, which as we know didn’t happen.
The undecided
  • Benrahma. He’s exciting and I have high hopes for the best player in the championship last year. He’s a replacement for Anderson. Although referencing the point above, this could’ve been Diangana. Was he Moyes’ choice, not convinced, but hopefully he’ll show why we showed the interest.
  • Anderson. I think this is actually a good thing but equally I just think it’s a shame he never got a chance with Moyes on the pitch. I’ll be watching him at Porto with interest. He’s only on loan so he can come back next year, but with Benrahma, I think it’s safe to say that’s unlikely.
  • Dawson. It was a loan signing of no ambition, with his parent club happy to see him leave - their fans delighted. I’m sure he’s just here for emergency back up, and that role beggars can’t be choosers. Let’s just hope in typical West Ham fashion, we don’t have a long term injury list which means he is starting week in week out.
  • Ajeti. Another player I feel was never given a real crack of the whip. Although the Scottish Premier League is much weaker, he has shown he has an eye for goal. The biggest disappointment I think is we made a loss selling him, I’d hope there are future clauses but I doubt it with our club and transfer deals.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

S-H wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:02 am Anyone know why none of the signings were unveiled at the stadium, for the usual pictures etc?
It's all a bit hush-hush, but the board are having the athletics place demolished, and are building one for football in time for the weekend when fans can start coming back through the turnstiles.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

For the second summer in a row people are celebrating ‘getting rid of deadwood’ like it’s a personal success that benefits them or the manager. It isn’t, it only benefits three people if we don’t use the funds to replace them. The reduction in wages has been banked for the second year running.

Meanwhile we’ve continued to darken the good name of West Ham by dealing with other clubs poorly in pursuit of short term savings.

The squad issues remain largely unaddressed. We still don’t have a left back worth the name. We still have a pair of pensioners backing up our only two athletic centre midfielders. We still have a central defence which relies on Ogbonna being imperious week-after-week. We still have two main strikers who couldn’t be any different in style if they tried.

We’ve not brought in any young ‘gems’ as we were told was going to be the model - it doesn’t take a scout to buy someone like Benrahma. We’ve seemingly turned our nose up at a load of talent from the championship (Rodon, Grimes, Manning, Armstrong, Henry) because they’re not ready yet according to the manager. Wouldn’t surprise me if those decisions were more money and agent motivated and the manager story is a convenient front personally.

Next summer we need at least three nailed on first team capable players in the back 7. Oh, and we’ll be back to 8 left wingers when Anderson comes back. All that with a starting budget of minus £20m.

****ing terrible director of football, who no doubt this morning thinks he’s ‘the man’.

#GSBOUT
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

This came up in a previous window. They have to pay.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Probably not allowed to as part of the deal. Might of cost a few hundred £ and we can’t be seen to be reckless :D

It’s clear as day that we are absolutely potless, we have no money at all hence why all our deals are low money up front. Bidding for £30m players with £4m or £5m up front is unacceptable to most clubs.

Thing is, why does Sullivan always want to be seen to go after £30m players ? Bargains can be had if you’ve got a structure in place. I just wish for the life of me, we would invest in a proper scouting network however as long as Sullivan is at the wheel the less likely our club will ever do anything approaching sensible.

The one good thing to come out of this window was that the press are finally waking up to the fact that regardless who the manager is, transfers will always be the whim of Sullivan and his chosen agents. I actually think Moyes’ stance will have risen his stock with not only our supporters but people outside of our club.

#GSBOUT
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

hammer1975 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:26 am For
Well said.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I do think the defensive group is improved.

We now have a pair of right backs (three if we count Johnson) who are absolutely the right age - and I think Dawson, though not the ideal candidate, may well add something when used in a defensive three.

I'm reminded that his best spell was in that formation at West Brom. Watford are just generally rank in the defensive department so a degree of relative competence could easily be lost in their general shiteness - well, at least that's what I'm hoping. It also means Rice does not have to go back to CB as a contingency.

Soucek and Rice together is a solid building block - and my feeling is that Fornals might be spending more time in the centre this year.

Benrahma? I'm hopeful rather than confident. I don't really see the Payet comparison when I see the highlight reels. Payet could run with the ball but was mostly about putting it on a postage stamp when shooting, passing or crossing. That feeling that if you gave him a free shot from 20-25 yards - it was as good as a penalty. Benrahma appears to be more of a trickster. That said, can he possibly be worse than Anderson has been for much of the last 18 months? Tagging him as the next Payet is setting him up for a fall until his performances show it in our colours.

There are still one or two obvious deficiencies - central midfield cover, and a bit of pace to cover Antonio - but all in all, it's a fairly unremarkable window. Much depends on Moyes and his staff continuing to get more from the sum of the parts, and how he intends to cope with the odd key absence.

As for the owners - I'm guessing that Burnley knew that our 'interest' in Tarkowski was likely to be dependent upon him failing a medical so that we could nab him on loan with discounted wages Image - absolute chancers.

Lanzini, Yarmolenko - and maybe Haller - will be next for the departure lounge. I could imagine us going back in for King in January.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

I'm more than happy we have signed the two best attacking players from the championship within 10 months, I think most fans are happy about this. My gripe is Moyes clearly wanted a top quality centre back, I think we all did, and he didn't get one. Our squad is reliant on not many injuries or suspensions, though even if we get them, Moyes seems quite confident in bringing young players into the team, he started Ngakia against Liverpool home and away for example, and most fans had never really heard about him.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammer1975 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:26 am For the second summer in a row people are celebrating ‘getting rid of deadwood’
The sign of a successful transfer strategy is that deadwood won't exist or will be far less prevalent.

Since January

Randolph >>> Roberto
Coufal >>> Zabaleta, age 35
Dawson >>> .......
Soucek >>> Sanchez + Wilshere + Cullen
Benrahma >>> Diangana + Haksabanovic
Bowen >>> Anderson
........ >>>> Hugill + Ajeti + Silva

If we consider how ineffective, faded, aged, disinterested most of the outs have been - it does look like Moyes is generally taking the squad in the right direction. The names are less flashy and illustrious, and I'd guess they have pay packets to match.

Be interested to see if the Danish CB gets done with arrival in January.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

Football Insider reporting that King in January is likely:-

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sour ... -revealed/
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Would have liked us to have spent more money but don't think it's the worst window. One thing Moyes has managed to do is get the best out of the limitations within the squad.

He signed Bowen in Jan and Soucek on loan. Both could have turned out to be failures but they have been fantastic buys. We have now added Coufal who has showed early promise and Said who provides us with a wide player that can actually beat a player. Yarmelenko, Lanzini and Anderson don't so this enough. I wouldn't write off Haller just yet up top.

We have 12 games to go between now and January to manage. As it stands we have a fully fit squad. Not sure the last time we have ever been in that position.

The key for ime is what happens to the unspent budget. We have also saved massive amounts in wages. Financially the club is in a better position to start putting a strategy in place next summer when a few more contracts end.

We have spent vast amounts on players that have struggled. Spending big isn't always the answer.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Coldly looking at it, it’s an ok window. Soucek made permanent is obviously good, Coufal looks a player and one in a position we were weak, Dawson fills a gap, Benrahma has the potential to be excellent. Got rid of a lot of wages and made good money on someone who has never impacted the first team.

However, context helps. Our transfer business now seems to have been conducted as if 5 at the back has been a long term plan and success, as we know left back doesn’t work without that. One injury and we’re back to left backs playing.

Equally, the sale of Diangana has done damage to morale in and out of the club and was never necessary. The message there is poor. It has left a sour taste, but even taking that away, it is just dumb business. That it also feels so spiteful, like a knife in the back of what we want to be, is why it’s horrid.

Our conduct has somehow got worse, with FIFA having to be involved as we didn’t pay our bills. The mouth from the boardroom was out in force spreading lies, although it may be worse when he was telling what he believed was the truth, only to make a fool of himself with buying another forward player.

On the plus side, we didn’t throw our whole budget on Tarkowski, and we’ve not spend a great deal at all. That’s a good thing, to some extent, cos we were so indecisive and weak in action that we probably shouldn’t have been spending a lot of money.

The squad has reasonable balance thanks to how versatile many of them are. But we have one left wing back, so an injury to Masuaku changes our entire system. Interestingly, I think Fornals going into the left side of central midfield could help that issue.

So, at the end, yeah, it’s kinda fine in incomings and outgoings on the pitch today. But the cloud around it is exactly why we hate what we’ve become