Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Post by stu1 »

It’s going to be a weird transfer window with the season being delayed, particularly with the window not opening until the 26th July. That said, with a lot of players contracts ending today I thought it seemed fitting to start the thread.

Obviously until we know what division we’ll be in next season there’s not much point speculating about our own transfer targets. Although we have let Zabaleta, N’gakia and Sanchez (thank god) go today.

Outside of West Ham the first big move seems to have happened with Man City agreeing a fee of just under £55m for Sane. Looks like a good deal for Bayern to me, I’ve always thought Sane could become one of the best players in the world and never really understood Pep seeming to favour Sterling over him.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ty-forward
Softhammer

Re: Summer Transfer Thread

Post by Softhammer »

Why did you quote yourself mate? :arry:
If we stay up I hope we go for Jansson in Brentford. Strong CB with lot of leadership which we are lacking.
stu1

Post by stu1 »

Softhammer wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:16 pm Why did you quote yourself mate? :arry:
If we stay up I hope we go for Jansson in Brentford. Strong CB with lot of leadership which we are lacking.
I went to correct a spelling mistake in my original post but accidentally quoted my post instead of editing it. Fortunately a mod deleted my double post to save my blushes.....until you highlighted my error. :fsake:

If we do stay up, I hope we raid the championship for some of their best young performers. The more Bowen types we have the better that’s for sure.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

stu1 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:23 pm If we do stay up, I hope we raid the championship for some of their best young performers. The more Bowen types we have the better that’s for sure.
Would like to see this also. we have enough "talented" players who need some hard working players around them to balance the squad out a bit

a young CB, LB and central midfielder would be a good start
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I expect the club to try to raise between £100m (if we stay up) and £175m (if we drop) from sales.

Haller, Anderson, Ajeti, Masuaku , Lanzini or Fornals, Yarmolenko, Balbuena out if we stay up. Along with the already departed Sanchez, Zabaleta, Reid and Roberto.

If we go down it will be both Lanzini and Fornals, along with Rice , probably Diop.

We need at least three defenders, no matter what division we are in.

If we stay up, we probably need another midfield worker, and an almost complete rebuild of attacking midfield - if we go down, that flips.

The attack - if we retain Bowen and Antonio - is great for the championship, but we'll need two proper strikers in the PL - and I'd bring Hugill back as the third. He can't be worse than what we have had this year, or in some other recent seasons.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

GOING TO BE POSITIVE AND ASSUME WE ARE IN PL !

if so we need a new LB RB CB CM CF x 2

I would also like to sell/release the following:

martin and Roberto - we have fab Randolph and I would promote trot

masuaka - not a defender 5m tops if we are lucky
cresswell - needs replacing but doubt anyone will take him . 2m
reid - 32 and unlikely to get to PL standard. wish him well free
wilshere 100k a week for nothing too injury prone. free
yarmolenko 110k a week too injury prone. too fragile for PL. 5m
ajeti - no one will play him so we may as well get rid of him . 2m
haller - lazy and overpriced. 20m
Anderson - talented but too lazy and cant be bothered most of the time 20m

hopefully we raise around 50m to go with the transfer war chest of around 40m.

I would like to see us go for Brentford pair Watkins and balerami to replace haller and Anderson.

would also add to squad
diagana - done well at west brom needs to come home
Cullen 24 and doing well at Charlton - maybe we need to give him that last chance
hughill - if he was at the club now he would get a chance. can he be worse than ajeti ? If QPR offer anything near 8m we should sell.
Holland - needs to be given a chance or another loan. 21 and has promise but behind diagana. loan him to Charlton as part of the above deal.

Snodgrass - one more year as squad member
noble 2 more years on contract as squad member.

plenty of work to do. hopefully moyes will be gone and dyche will come in. if so hopefully he can attract the LB and CB we need plus one of the strikers.
el pato
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by el pato »

Noble , 2 more years , why?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

el pato wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:49 am Noble , 2 more years , why?
We're obviously going to flog him to death. Spurs did the same thing with Gary Mabbutt. Although, I don't think they kept extending his contract
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I think he has 2 more years on the 6 year deal we gave him in 2016 ? he should start on the bench now but moyes will flog him to death. rice captain now and noble can come on for 20 mins at the end where he would be useful to be fair.
he wouldn't start anywhere else but has to here under moyes.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:32 am I expect the club to try to raise between £100m (if we stay up) and £175m (if we drop) from sales.

Haller, Anderson, Ajeti, Masuaku , Lanzini or Fornals, Yarmolenko, Balbuena out if we stay up. Along with the already departed Sanchez, Zabaleta, Reid and Roberto.

If we go down it will be both Lanzini and Fornals, along with Rice , probably Diop.

We need at least three defenders, no matter what division we are in.

If we stay up, we probably need another midfield worker, and an almost complete rebuild of attacking midfield - if we go down, that flips.

The attack - if we retain Bowen and Antonio - is great for the championship, but we'll need two proper strikers in the PL - and I'd bring Hugill back as the third. He can't be worse than what we have had this year, or in some other recent seasons.
For me we have to keep fornals

Lanzini hasn't returned from injury the player he was however fornals is in his first season and pre covid was showing he had what it takes to make in this league

He is a real talent
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

hammerman11 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:36 am GOING TO BE POSITIVE AND ASSUME WE ARE IN PL !

if so we need a new LB RB CB CM CF x 2

I would also like to sell/release the following:

martin and Roberto - we have fab Randolph and I would promote trot

masuaka - not a defender 5m tops if we are lucky
cresswell - needs replacing but doubt anyone will take him . 2m
reid - 32 and unlikely to get to PL standard. wish him well free
wilshere 100k a week for nothing too injury prone. free
yarmolenko 110k a week too injury prone. too fragile for PL. 5m
ajeti - no one will play him so we may as well get rid of him . 2m
haller - lazy and overpriced. 20m
Anderson - talented but too lazy and cant be bothered most of the time 20m

hopefully we raise around 50m to go with the transfer war chest of around 40m.

I would like to see us go for Brentford pair Watkins and balerami to replace haller and Anderson.

would also add to squad
diagana - done well at west brom needs to come home
Cullen 24 and doing well at Charlton - maybe we need to give him that last chance
hughill - if he was at the club now he would get a chance. can he be worse than ajeti ? If QPR offer anything near 8m we should sell.
Holland - needs to be given a chance or another loan. 21 and has promise but behind diagana. loan him to Charlton as part of the above deal.

Snodgrass - one more year as squad member
noble 2 more years on contract as squad member.

plenty of work to do. hopefully moyes will be gone and dyche will come in. if so hopefully he can attract the LB and CB we need plus one of the strikers.
I think you are forgetting we still have to pay the balance owing on Anderson , Haller etc surely?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The only players they should be contemplating contract extensions for are Antonio and Fabianski - and that should only be a year apiece at most.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:27 am The only players they should be contemplating contract extensions for are Antonio and Fabianski - and that should only be a year apiece at most.
….. and whilst we are in generous mood, let's give another contract extension to Winston Reid as well
stu1

Post by stu1 »

If we were relegated I'd hope to keep Diop, I think he could benefit from playing a season in the championship. Admittedly when you sign a CB for £22m them benefiting from a season in the championship is not ideal, but I do think he could come good again.

Lanzini, Haller, Yarmolenko, Wilshere, Anderson would all need to go due to wages and the fact we could get a reasonable fee for them. Unfortuantely Rice, Fornals, Fab and Antonio would probably all fall in to this bracket, as would Bowen who I believe has a relegation clause in his contract which is concerning.

Tbh I'm struggling to think of more than 6-7 players who you would expect to stay if we got relegated.
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

Is there any suggestion of when the window will open and close?

Not sure we even have a start date for next season yet do we?
Gazwhu66
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by Gazwhu66 »

hammerman11 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:36 am GOING TO BE POSITIVE AND ASSUME WE ARE IN PL !
You feeling ok? :D
Gazwhu66
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by Gazwhu66 »

Obvious comment but this season's dealings rely completely on which division we are in. If it's the Championship there will be a mass exodus IMHO. Players still have the power to engineer moves as and when they want. The Dave's have the perfect Covid shaped excuse for reaping the money back in as well.

If we manage to maintain our PL status then the likes of Anderson and Haller may stick around, I can't see them generating much interest after their performances this season and certainly not at the price we would consider letting them go for.

I think Rice will be gone unfortunately, he is the one shining light that is already attracting interest if the rumours are to be believed.

Not seen too much of the Championship but other better informed posters praise quite a few players, I would be more than happy for us to go down this route and get some energetic players through the door who have the desire to perform.

Since the restart one player who has impressed me is Douglas Luiz at Villa. He looks comfortable on the ball, good range of passing and not afraid of putting his foot in. Could be a cheap option if Villa go down?
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Butland, Cash, Worrall, Kessie, Watkins, Eze and Omar Richards
Diangana, Coventry and Holland return from loans to join squad.
Zabaleta, Sanchez, Reid, Snodgrass, Ngakia, Yarmalenko, Randolph, Masuaku or Cresswell all out!
Easy innit :wink:
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Our old mate Willy Carvalho is apparently signing for Leicester for £14m.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

One name that came up last year was Weston McKennie. Would like to see us take a look, as Schalke are on the verge of financial collapse. Announced today that they are cutting costs, capping salaries, and will no longer target European qualification as a goal.
Midfield engine for Wagner there, and was one of the most important players under the previous manager as well, who played him at a half dozen positions.