West Ham Utd 3-1 Watford (17/07/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Not often are we faced with a 3-0 lead at halftime. We came out and didnt know whether to stick or twist, they scored and then it turned into a game of containing them. We took the sting out of it with 15 to go, and they ran out of ideas.

3 great goals though! :shock:
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

Loved Soucek’s immediate ‘hands on head in disbelief‘ reaction to Rice’s strike :crest:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I think at 3-0 up, the second half was always going to pan out as it did and that's perfectly fine for me.
We did what we needed and got the result that pretty much insured Premier League football for another year, for it would take a freakish set of results to send us done now.
Bowen, Soucek, Rice, Antonio and Ogbonna all kicking on right now - Bowen's cross for Soucek was inch perfect.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

safe now. hope we give the last two games a real go and remain unbeaten. draw at manc land and beat villa to send them down please.

The warriors of the team stood up and did us proud fabianski oggy rice nobes antonio bowen soucek. fornals and diop also did well.
good second debut by ben johnson, seems to defend well which is what we need. no surprise that most of watford`s attacks came down cresswell`s side. he needs replacing.

haller came on and nearly scored a wonder goal and then did nothing !

rice running to moyes after his goal and the way he gigged up moyes in his interview was a telling sign that he is staying.
another bonus is that soucek will be signing for 16m, bowen will be staying and antonio is the new arnie but with a good character.

felt absolutely exhausted after watching that match. is it old age or just the west ham way !

only west ham fans can be worried for the second half when 3-0 up ! great win great night. arise Sir Nobes of Canning Town. good to hear that both he and rice in their interviews were not happy with the second half. we have a chance.

sully watching on must know he needs to add a few and we could be decent ! the old slapper brady was there with the ex footballer from brum. where was goldie ?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

PlaistowIron wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:06 am Loved Soucek’s immediate ‘hands on head in disbelief‘ reaction to Rice’s strike :crest:
As did Ben Foster when he was on his knees after thumping the floor. Could clearly lip-read him saying 'wow'.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

it was some strike, just because the keeper doesnt dive doesnt mean he could of saved it. Rice saying in his interview afterwards that he hit some bangers in the warm up. great young player and next seasons captain.
hawkins_hammer
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Don't get the Haller did nothing comments at all. Even if you ignore his shot (our only one of the half) he immediately helped us get out of our own box for the first time all second half with a series of well won headers that found team mates. He completely settled us down and made a huge impact.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

haller is not worth 45m we paid for him. would sell in the summer for 25m if we are lucky. buy hungry players who want to give their all for the shirt. not some sulk who thinks he is too good for us. same attitude as anderson. two for 50m anyone ?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

hawkins_hammer wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:03 am Don't get the Haller did nothing comments at all. Even if you ignore his shot (our only one of the half) he immediately helped us get out of our own box for the first time all second half with a series of well won headers that found team mates. He completely settled us down and made a huge impact.
:thup:
Graza

Post by Graza »

hawkins_hammer wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:03 am Don't get the Haller did nothing comments at all. Even if you ignore his shot (our only one of the half) he immediately helped us get out of our own box for the first time all second half with a series of well won headers that found team mates. He completely settled us down and made a huge impact.
Won everything in the air as well. We were struggling for outlets as Antonio and Bowen's legs were getting tired and the balls thumped up for the chase just isn't Fornals' game. Haller meanwhile started creating little flicks for the others to get to and decrease the pressure of the ball just coming back at us constantly. Plus what a save that was from Foster to stop him scoring with his first touch.

I think we rode our luck somewhat in the second half in particular, they flashed a number of balls across our box that they failed to put in or quite reach. Even in the first half they had a couple of decent chances that went begging. They just didn't get the rub in the way we've seen West Ham miss out on the fine margins many times before.

Great effort to be 2 up in 10, spectacular goal from Rice, when was the last time we were 3 up at half time?

That's us safe though as goal difference will be insurmountable for those below. Watford have to be favourites for the drop, especially if Man City ruin their goal difference.
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

That's how I saw it too.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

This, but he is the current boo boys favourite so nothing short of a perfect hat trick will do it seems!
ParkersHere
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by ParkersHere »

hammerman11 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:53 am haller came on and nearly scored a wonder goal and then did nothing !
I thought Haller was ok, he held the ball up well and brought players into the game. He did what was needed and nearly scored a beauty.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Though Diop mostly had a good game, I'm still not convinced by him. He has a habit of overly committing himself too high up the pitch and leaving a big space behind. It happened last night for their goal and it's happened on many other occasions too.

Bowens cross for the second was lovely - with the likes of Antonio, Haller, and Soucek in the team, we should be putting in crosses like that more frequently. Fornals isn't much of a crosser and neither is Cresswell (although the latter used to be). I'd love to have a new left hand side next season - 2 players who can deliver a good ball into the box.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

As for Haller, he did OK - bearing in mind he came on at a time when we were attacking less and running down the clock. I imagine you'd have seen a lot more from him had he played in the first half.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Fornals puts a real shift in for the team, his performances may go unnoticed, but he is a vital part of this team, love him.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

S-H wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:43 am Fornals puts a real shift in for the team, his performances may go unnoticed, but he is a vital part of this team, love him.
I agree, he does an awful lot of running and helps the overall energy of the team. I suspect he's capable of a lot more though and we might get to see that next season (hopefully not on the left wing though). I don't think we've seen the real Fornals yet as he's taken a while to get used to the English game.
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

after the game finished and the interviews had been done I went to bed and slept from about 10.15 until half five, watching west ham is so draining I was absolutely knackered, walking the dog this morning in the early sunshine I was able to give everyone I saw, not that many but it was about 6, a very cheery good morning. west ham is good for your health when they win,
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

hammerman11 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:05 am haller is not worth 45m we paid for him. would sell in the summer for 25m if we are lucky. buy hungry players who want to give their all for the shirt. not some sulk who thinks he is too good for us. same attitude as anderson. two for 50m anyone ?
Haller is worth every single penny. Played in the right system and he will be a great asset for us.
Sulks? For crying out loud it's just his resting face.

All signings need at least a year to bed in before you can even judge. Anyone who writes off a player before a season doesn't understand how football works
ayriron
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ayriron »

ClydeIron wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:57 am Welcome CroatianHammer!

I became an iron through irony. The old boy went to see Scotland play England in a Home Championship game at Hampden and there was a fair-haired fella playing at the back for England that day that caught his eye.

I think he said his name was Robert something... :?
Very similar Clydebuilt except I went with the old man to the game couldn't stop watching the Great man