The kids are all right

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Re: The kids are all right

Post by stu1 »

The Straw wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:46 pm Timekeeping is his biggest problem. Huge talent though.
I heard he’s not developing as we’d once hoped…..could be wrong though.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

West Ham United is pleased to confirm that Kenny Brown has been named Interim Academy Manager, with Ricky Martin leaving the Academy set-up to join Stoke City as first team Technical Director.

https://www.whufc.com/news/kenny-brown- ... ager-role
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

Pressing high and hard :clap: :clap:

ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Kermit wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:28 pm What would you prefer ? Throwaways, Rejects, Discards.

It isn't a term of disrespect ffs.
Does that make them Cockney Rejects?
MB

Post by MB »

Bumping this to get it out of the transfer thread
DusseldorfHammer wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:01 pm Rice, Johnson, that's it over the last five years.

Bearing in mind that we've got the second oldest squad in the league.
We also brought through Diangana and made a decent sum on him. Cullen and the lad we sold to Sunderland went for money as well.

And how many has the club lost who wanted to stay in that period? Two (Ngakia and Perkins)?

The quality has to be there as well as the opportunity and to be blunt, we’ve had a dry spell prior to the current lot where a few have a chance of making the grade. The rest have been tidy, but not Premier League quality.

But in any event I think it is more likely players come through under Moyes than less. His track record is good.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

MB wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:18 pm Bumping this to get it out of the transfer thread

We also brought through Diangana and made a decent sum on him. Cullen and the lad we sold to Sunderland went for money as well.

And how many has the club lost who wanted to stay in that period? Two (Ngakia and Perkins)?

The quality has to be there as well as the opportunity and to be blunt, we’ve had a dry spell prior to the current lot where a few have a chance of making the grade. The rest have been tidy, but not Premier League quality.

But in any event I think it is more likely players come through under Moyes than less. His track record is good.
Obviously early doors to make a call on Perkins but also worth mentioning that there aren't many we've let go from the academy who have gone on to become regular PL starters elsewhere. In fact for "many" I could probably say "any" unless you want to go as far back as Ray Houghton.

And, yess I do know that Leon Brittan played a couple of times for Swansea when they were in the PL. But I don't count Junior Stanislas because he was given quite a few games for us before someone (Allardyce ?) decided he could move on.
MB

Post by MB »

Kermit wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:15 pm Obviously early doors to make a call on Perkins but also worth mentioning that there aren't many we've let go from the academy who have gone on to become regular PL starters elsewhere.
Agreed. The reason for mentioning Perkins and Ngakia is we wanted to keep both and offered contracts which were turned down rather than us releasing them. They are potentially ones who got away rather than ones we said thanks but no thanks to.

Anyway that's the end of me pretending to be a Mod while an actual Mod keeps the off topic conversation going in the other thread :crylol:
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Wow! Incredible stuff from our u18s!

https://www.transfermarkt.com/u18-premi ... nart=alle
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:37 am Wow! Incredible stuff from our u18s!

Scarles and Marshall are the only 2 I recognise from that squad. I really liked the look of Scarles - I'd like to see more of him. Not seen Marshall but I've heard good things.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Regardless of anything that's an incredible record in any league.

Man City have been winning every league at every age group for the last few years so it's great to see someone beating them, even better that it's us.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Apparenly Armstrong Oko-Flex has returned from a none too succesful loan spell at Swansea. Seems he made only ONE start which, in a moderate Championship side, is surely less than would be expected from a player who will be 21 in a couple of months. Most of the better players have made some sort of breakthrough at 21 and my concern is that now Oko-Flex is back, and presumably back with the Under 21s, his presence in the squad may be holding back a younger, potentially better, player such as Callum Narshall of whom I believe good things are hoped.

I'm all for giving these kids a chance to develop but if they've not got what it takes surely it's better to cut the ties and move on.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:16 am Regardless of anything that's an incredible record in any league.

Man City have been winning every league at every age group for the last few years so it's great to see someone beating them, even better that it's us.
33 points and +26 GD after 11 games is absolutely obscene 👍
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

funky chicken wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:37 am Wow! Incredible stuff from our u18s!

Indeed it is. :newthumb:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

A glorious ray of sunshine, peaking through the clouds, in an otherwise miserable season.

Well done lads, exceptional stuff.

:crest:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Kermit wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:33 am Apparenly Armstrong Oko-Flex has returned from a none too succesful loan spell at Swansea. Seems he made only ONE start which, in a moderate Championship side, is surely less than would be expected from a player who will be 21 in a couple of months. Most of the better players have made some sort of breakthrough at 21 and my concern is that now Oko-Flex is back, and presumably back with the Under 21s, his presence in the squad may be holding back a younger, potentially better, player such as Callum Narshall of whom I believe good things are hoped.

I'm all for giving these kids a chance to develop but if they've not got what it takes surely it's better to cut the ties and move on.
Swansea fans really rated him, he just didn't fit the style of play of the manager apparently.
cadiz_hammer
Has liked: 1157 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by cadiz_hammer »

Kermit wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:33 am Apparenly Armstrong Oko-Flex has returned from a none too succesful loan spell at Swansea. Seems he made only ONE start which, in a moderate Championship side, is surely less than would be expected from a player who will be 21 in a couple of months. Most of the better players have made some sort of breakthrough at 21 and my concern is that now Oko-Flex is back, and presumably back with the Under 21s, his presence in the squad may be holding back a younger, potentially better, player such as Callum Narshall of whom I believe good things are hoped.

My mate, who's an insider at Swansea, has been reporting all season that Russell Martin has an issue with Oko-Flex's timekeeping and, occasionally, attitude. There's also a feeling that he doesn't follow Martin's game-plan instructions.

I reckon he'll go back out to a different Championship side for the second half of the season.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:06 am Scarles and Marshall are the only 2 I recognise from that squad. I really liked the look of Scarles - I'd like to see more of him. Not seen Marshall but I've heard good things.
I thought Divin Mubama plays (and scores) quite a bit for the U18s.

Also, I think Gideon Kadua looks like another promising striker. Recently signed his first pro contract I believe.
S-H

Post by S-H »

No doubt, that other clubs will be circling like vultures, to pick up some of these lads, so I'm glad to see we are getting the best ones tied down to professional contracts.
S-H

Post by S-H »

only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

S-H wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:05 am No doubt, that other clubs will be circling like vultures, to pick up some of these lads, so I'm glad to see we are getting the best ones tied down to professional contracts.
Certainly, all four of the scorers against Palace have signed their first professional contracts with us in the last 8 months.