The kids are all right

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

The kids are all right

Post by funky chicken »

So, Moyes had this to say after the Villa game:

"Some of the young players have shown what they are capable of. We have 5 or 6 talented boys around the team, so I am looking forward to see how they go."

I thought that was good to hear that Moyes may look into giving more of our youngsters a chance next season. But which 5-6 do you believe he was referring to? And which youngsters do you personally think could make the breakthrough into the first team picture?

I imagine Johnson & Diangana have a chance. As does Coventry and Silva, who have started to feature on our bench.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Re: The kids are all right

Post by bubbles1966 »

Mushy mentioned Jamal Baptiste, and Sir Carlton has previously named him.

Amadou Diallo is England U-17 captain, isn't he?

Our U-17s are one of the three best teams in the country judging by the league table.

No idea whether he's any good but they have a left back who was the youngest ever to place for us in his age group, Jayden Fevrier.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

That’s good to hear. If we can get a youth team player into the first team each year and they all progress like rice and Johnson have we will have some team in the next few years. As long as the dick heads don’t sell them obviously 🙄
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

I'd assume Cullen and Diangana are involved, even though they are not necessarily 'kids'. With Sanchez gone, and Soucek bought, I would assume that there is a chance for Cullen to make a play for the holding midfield role. He had a good season, and got capped internationally. As long as Rice stays, it won't be a position to 'upgrade' on. While Diangana's exploits are well known at WBA. While already involved, Ben Johnson looks certain to make a very important contribution over the next while. That would be three. Young Conor Coventry was on the bench yesterday, and played a bit down in League 1, so its possible Moyes is looking at him for future reference.

It will be interesting to see where N'Gakia lands, as I think the Club would probably like to have kept him, if they could.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Alfie Lewis was on the bench in one game. Cardozo also?
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

I thought there was a long-standing thread on here somewhere about the youth team prospects and the U23 squad etc?

Just looked back through 25 pages on this forum but can’t see the thread - anyone know where it is???

Was looking to see who the best kids are to break through next season.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

When is Cullens contract up? I thought it was this summer. He's 24 and he last played for a side that got relegated from the championship, if he hasn't made the step up yet, when? How long do the club keep / loan him out?

I would like to be wrong but I can't see him being a regular here
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

funky chicken wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:02 am So, Moyes had this to say after the Villa game:

"Some of the young players have shown what they are capable of. We have 5 or 6 talented boys around the team, so I am looking forward to see how they go."

I thought that was good to hear that Moyes may look into giving more of our youngsters a chance next season. But which 5-6 do you believe he was referring to? And which youngsters do you personally think could make the breakthrough into the first team picture?

I imagine Johnson & Diangana have a chance. As does Coventry and Silva, who have started to feature on our bench.
I've been told by the Dildo Brothers not to expect any money for transfers.
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

How much have they been giving you previously then Rockerton? 😉
Roby

Post by Roby »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:48 am Alfie Lewis was on the bench in one game. Cardozo also?
Pretty sure Bernardo Rosa also made the bench for one game just before lockdown.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 am Mushy mentioned Jamal Baptiste, and Sir Carlton has previously named him.

Amadou Diallo is England U-17 captain, isn't he?

Our U-17s are one of the three best teams in the country judging by the league table.

No idea whether he's any good but they have a left back who was the youngest ever to place for us in his age group, Jayden Fevrier.
Baptiste would have been on the bench for the last two games of the season if Moyes had got his way. In trypical West Ham fashion we ballesed up his registration with the FA.
We did make amends by giving him a new 3 year contract.
Currently training with the first team in Scotland.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

mushy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:32 am Baptiste would have been on the bench for the last two games of the season if Moyes had got his way. In trypical West Ham fashion we ballesed up his registration with the FA.
We did make amends by giving him a new 3 year contract.
Currently training with the first team in Scotland.
He must be highly thought of within the club, Mushy?

Do you think he will be part of the first team squad this season, or is it far too soon?
Overchuffed
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Overchuffed »

Would love to see Ajibola Alese involved at some point - was out on loan at Accrington last season, can play CB or LB. Been a regular in England youth age groups.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

tbf to Arsenal, they have been much more likely recently to play young English players in the last couple of seasons. It may not have worked out for them, but the intent is there

I hope Covid-19 does mess up transfers, and clubs, managers and coaching staff have to show a bit more ingenuity about how to build a successful team instead of just going out an buying expensive players

Integrate the youngsters, develop their weaknesses, build on their strengths and consider ways to build a successful team and improve it out of all the parts available.

That is the sign of an effective manager IMHO, and what lower league managers have to do. Not just going out an buying a new team every summer, hoping some of the players come good
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I'm putting Johnson in all my dream teams in the hope that the dreadful Fredericks has now been banished to the sidelines.
vaz te's bonnet
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by vaz te's bonnet »

Do we know who went to Scotland?
Roby

Post by Roby »

vaz te's bonnet wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:57 am Do we know who went to Scotland?
Johnson, Baptiste, Cardoso and Conor Coventry.

Maybe more but that’s the kids you can see in training on the official site Scotland tour photos.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Relatedly, there was a thing in the news the the day before yesterday suggesting Baker-Boaitey was going to sign with Porto – don't know if it's actually happened though.
vaz te's bonnet

Anyone know why Trott hasnt gone to Scotland?
vaz te's bonnet

Aceface wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:21 am Relatedly, there was a thing in the news the the day before yesterday suggesting Baker-Boaitey was going to sign with Porto – don't know if it's actually happened though.
Aidy ward has just put Danny loader there so maybe putting two and two together. Im thinking for benicio his agent has sold him a dream whereas the reality is that he may return back to us.