The kids are all right

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1171 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Re: The kids are all right

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Worth noting:

Six recent academy players now out on concurrent loans.
Two recently sold (Perkins & Alese).
Two in the first team squad (Rice & Johnson).
One on the very fringe ( Coventry).
Others ( Ashby etc) getting occasional first team game time.

Academy just dropped from u23 to U21 competition.

Could be worse.
🤞🤔
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Looking forward to monitoring our loanees this season. It's a real chance for Oko-Flex and Longelo to impress.

I did have high hopes for Chesters - always seemed to make things happen when I saw him play. He really needs to tear that league up this season if he wants a chance for better next season.
norse
Has liked: 380 likes
Total likes: 838 likes

Post by norse »

Is Coventry still a kid though, he's a couple of months older than Erling Håland.
Sure, they're young players, but at 22,5 years old I wouldn't class him in the same bracket as 17-18 year olds
dplus91
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by dplus91 »

NWhammer wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:19 pm Do we continue to develop a player that’s looking for a move? I say sign a contract or don’t play.
I've got to agree. If we really want him to stay, it should be a minimum that he signs a new contract otherwise why give him even more experience only for him to take it to Newcastle next summer? At best it would increase the compensation payable to us. Maybe his post today is him indicating to all and sundry that he's still committed so deserves opportunities (especially now with Johnson's injury) but I'd ask for more than a post on social media.

Makes you wonder if there was a general feeling in the U23s last season that they weren't getting enough opportunities or being paid enough, hence Perkins and now Ashby.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1363 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

dplus91 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:06 pm I've got to agree. If we really want him to stay, it should be a minimum that he signs a new contract otherwise why give him even more experience only for him to take it to Newcastle next summer? At best it would increase the compensation payable to us. Maybe his post today is him indicating to all and sundry that he's still committed so deserves opportunities (especially now with Johnson's injury) but I'd ask for more than a post on social media.

Makes you wonder if there was a general feeling in the U23s last season that they weren't getting enough opportunities or being paid enough, hence Perkins and now Ashby.
Tell him to sign a new contract on better money, but with an escalating buy out dependent on games played. He’ll get a few more appearances this season, so start the buy out at £10m, not unreasonable for a 20 year old u21 international with PL and Europa experience.
BoleynGone
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by BoleynGone »

I don't know what you can expect tbh . What other outlet does he have. He might of been told he was now 4th choice now after Kehrer. Strange how he played really well against Viborg then was dropped for the return. Maybe due to the transfer rumours etc. Hopefully all sorted out now and he gers to play in the first ECL game, think we'll need him and a chance to shine.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1171 likes
Total likes: 680 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

norse wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:17 pm Is Coventry still a kid though, he's a couple of months older than Erling Håland.
Sure, they're young players, but at 22,5 years old I wouldn't class him in the same bracket as 17-18 year olds
Hi Norse,
Not sure Harland is a fair comparison in any regard for a 22.5 year old. Complete one off I suggest. Not many u23 in the top six starters, but agree Coventry needs to make or break before January.
👍
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:12 am Hi Norse,
Not sure Harland is a fair comparison in any regard for a 22.5 year old. Complete one off I suggest. Not many u23 in the top six starters, but agree Coventry needs to make or break before January.
👍
A fairer comparison is Dewsbury-Hall. He broke through at Leicester at the equivalent age Coventry is now, he needs a big year.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1077 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Whether we wanted another player or not this season is a big chance for Coventry... we are going to be quite fluid between a playing 2 in a 342 and 3 in a 433 so there will be plenty of chances for him to impress

We need to make sure Rice, Soucek and Paqueta are not run into the ground, therefore I see our options for early cup rounds as Downes, Lanzini, Coventry and Fornals (however we don't want him overworked either) which increases his chances. If Rice and Soucek are played too much that is a damning indictment on all the other options.

For Ashby, I see lots of opportunities for him this season. I don't see Johnson as a WB in any scenaio...neither is Kehrer so a lot will be on Coufals shoulders if we're being fluid RWB is Ashby's golden chance... if Johnson is preferred in 2 months still then its on Ashby.

If neither step up this season there are no excuses and nobody is to blame but them.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I've just read a report about Gonzalo Cardoso, who denitely was a kid when we bought him amid rave reports from Husilios's scouting team, from Boavista in 2019. The 'kid' himself describing it at the time, as his dream come true. Yet despite this, he was never even afforded a minute of first team football before being shown the door
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by waynepin »

Talk of Ashby sharing the same agent as Eddie Howe and surprise surprise, Newcastle linked with him, get him signed on a longer contract then give him game time, if he plans to leave for peanuts no point giving him game time in front of others. With Acadamy players doing well does Cullen count he looks pretty good every time I've seen him on tv for Burnley this season, runs the midfield , pleased for him
Kermit
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Post by Kermit »

waynepin wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:40 am Talk of Ashby sharing the same agent as Eddie Howe and surprise surprise, Newcastle linked with him, get him signed on a longer contract then give him game time, if he plans to leave for peanuts no point giving him game time in front of others. With Acadamy players doing well does Cullen count he looks pretty good every time I've seen him on tv for Burnley this season, runs the midfield , pleased for him
The story I'm hearing is that Ashby haas indicated he won't sign a new contract. No idea if this is due to lack of playing time, money, or anything else. Maybe others have the inside track on that. But if he is determined not to sign then I am inclined to agree with you. Pointless trying to develop a young player for someone else to benefit,

On the other hand if he is open to signing a new deal get it done and then get him out on loan so he can learn his trade playing proper football instead of poncing around in the U21 league and making the odd appearance here and there for us.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:42 pm Looking forward to monitoring our loanees this season. It's a real chance for Oko-Flex and Longelo to impress.

I did have high hopes for Chesters - always seemed to make things happen when I saw him play. He really needs to tear that league up this season if he wants a chance for better next season.
Looks like the club feel Chesters isn't at the same level as Okoflex and Longelo as he's been farmed out to a League 2 club. And, by all accounts, a pretty poor one if recent seasons are any guide.
Bubbles Fortuna

Swansea fans seem very pleased with Okoflex's debut today if Twitter anything to go by.

Odubeko's goal was very nice.
Bubbles Fortuna

This is the general consensus on Oko-Flex, hopefully he has a real breakthrough season like Diangana then we can either sell him for a big profit or integrate him into the team.

Longelo didn't make the Birmingham squad, apparently he did not have a proper pre-season.

Anang still injured.

Odubeko scored and has impressed fans with his movement.

They're probably our four brightest prospects out on loan, Chesters and Nevers in League 2 at their age doesn't bode well
Bubbles Fortuna

Our u18s are unbeaten and top of the league, need to promote some of them to the u23s!
Bubbles Fortuna

6 goals in 3 games for Marshall, following on his 7 goal in two games in the pre-season tournament :lol:

He's the Haaland of u18 football.
Bubbles Fortuna

Another one to watch is 17 year old Gideon Kadua, 15 goals in 19 games for the u18s.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:34 pm Our u18s are unbeaten and top of the league, need to promote some of them to the u23s!
Disagree mate. Fast track by all means but get the better ones training with the first team or even out on loan instead of poncing around in that bloody U21 league. It's a graveyard. There are kids of 18 and 19 playing at full international level. Imo the development of young players is being hampered, not helped, by keeping them playing with other youngsters of their age. There's a lot of truth when people say if he's good enough he's old enough[
Bubbles Fortuna

Kermit wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:37 am Disagree mate. Fast track by all means but get the better ones training with the first team or even out on loan instead of poncing around in that bloody U21 league. It's a graveyard. There are kids of 18 and 19 playing at full international level. Imo the development of young players is being hampered, not helped, by keeping them playing with other youngsters of their age. There's a lot of truth when people say if he's good enough he's old enough[
I think it's a bit soon to be promoting the 16 and 17 year olds in the u18 side though right?

I'd rather have the 17 year old have a few weeks and game with played 4 years further in development than have them get lost amongst the professionals.

How many 16/17 year olds are making first team breakthroughs?