The kids are all right

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1152 likes

Re: The kids are all right

Post by hammer1975 »

mushy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:46 pm When did they do away with the final being over two legs?
2018/19 apparently (per wiki). I didn’t know tbh mate.

i’m in favour of the final being a single game but shame they don’t have it at a neutral venue imo.
hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:28 am Feels like a particularly young u18s side, none of the usual players there, all 16/17 year olds I've not heard mentioned.

The usual u18s like Mubama, Laing and Kadua must have moved up.
Suspect they will take the view that they can afford to do so given how far in from they are. Also, the prime objective is to develop players for the first team rather than win the league (or cup really for that matter) - so trying a few out in the age range above makes sense (as long as no threat of relegation).

Also, Scarles may have an injury and I expect Kodua could do with a rest after the running he did in the week - felt he covered more ground sprinting than anyone.
mattyD
Has liked: 312 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by mattyD »

3-1 winners away to spuds.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Just seen the highlights of our win at Spurs training ground on facebook for the U18s and yep you guessed it, Callum Marshall strikes again - twice. Just love to watch him operate around the box for someone so young. :clap:
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1856 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

PL2 team currently beating Brighton!

Mubama just scored the 2nd. Nice timing to run in behind, very calm finish but it did all make him look horribly one footed. Goal was just before the clock hit 62:00.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1988 likes
Total likes: 4730 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Mubama scores a penalty, 3-2 now.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

I'd love it if both Mubama and Marshall in time made the grade and became a permanent fixture in the Seniors. They're giving themselves every chance. And fully aware it would be rare for 1 to make it let alone 2 but you never know they may both make it at their current progress. The last step up is always the hardest.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Marshall also looks very one footed, however promising he may be.
Colours never run

Doesn't bother me if a Striker's heavily one footed, just as long as that foot is lethal in front of goal.

He aint too bad with his right foot either to be fair. 2:20 secs in...

Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2070 likes
Total likes: 688 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Marshall is showing promise for the under 18’s but he’s miles off the first team at the minute. Massive talent though.

Mubama is much closer to getting regular game time for us. I like his movement and looks like he’s physically got enough about him for the Premier League. He’s still very raw but the lad is only 18 years old and has time on his side.

:hamm:
norse
Has liked: 380 likes
Total likes: 838 likes

Post by norse »

westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1079 likes
Total likes: 1388 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Mubama needs a bit of work but there is certainly a raw talent in there and he is only 18 years old, so plenty of time to work on those weaknesses

His goals haven't just been from brute force of being a bit of unit either (especially given some of the defenders he is competing with have 3 years on him and are units themselves)... he seems to have a really decent finish on him

Keeps focussed and being given opportunities in and around the first team squad and progression should come
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1169 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

I watched the full u21 video the other day against Brighton, and the u18 highlights against Spurs today, and I have to say we may have a few, including defenders, midfield and attackers that excite. I mustn't forget goalkeepers as well. Very large and mobile u21 keeper. No errors.

I'm always a big cheer leader for the youngsters, so perhaps bias, but some are very interesting prospects.

My bug bare being please give them some pitch time when they are ready, and not over ready or frustrated. The new world means players aged 22 will be wanting the big bucks. Surely better we test them ourselves and then decide rather than never know and wave them goodbye. I accept the club haven't got many wrong, and they see them everyday, but let's not fill our matchday squads with just experienced pros. Imagine if we had brought on Divine to play alongside Danny when 3-0 up?

Well done to our development structure and coaches. Entertaining performances. Lovely style of football. Could almost see the spirit of young Bobby out there.
:newthumb: :hammb:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2485 likes
Total likes: 4388 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cornet starts tonight as Dusseldorf suggested earlier today in the fixture against Man City.

Man City's keeper's surname is Slicker. Cruel parents if his first name starts with a R.
hammer1975

Post by hammer1975 »

Lewis Orford starting - love that.

I know Mubama, Marshall, Kodua and Earthy get a lot of the attention due to the attacking fluidity and excellence (and like them all) - but Scarles and Orford look fantastic prospects to me on the limited viewing I’ve had. Less obvious due to goals etc, but proper all rounders.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1658 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

thanks mate..I checked all over the main site, they have the WHUTV channel but it doesn't link to this..

shocking...
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1988 likes
Total likes: 4730 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Interesting to see that we're attempting to convert Chesters into a wingback after a fairly poor loan spell as an attacking midfielder for Colchester.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1658 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

getting a bit of a battering at the moment. 0-2 and it cold have been more.

realise that there's a few under 18's playing and don't know about the City team but apparently they're |free scoring as a team".

Mubama has a few very nice first touches when receiving the ball but we have been very limited to chances.

they've moved Potts to a CB in a 3 apparently. the one half chance Cornet had he smashed it way over the bar. not an easy chance but he should have done a bit better with his experience although he's obviously VERY rusty.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Cornet also had a far post header cleared off the line from the other side of the goal, bang on half time at 0-1.