Migrants crossing the Channel

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Re: Migrants crossing the Channel

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

old fart wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:00 pm If you'd kindly explain the mechanics of how they do that, I'm sure they'd be grateful
Like the Ukrainians they turn up at the visa application centres we have and apply.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:13 pm Because they can apply for asylum in any country they want to.
They can and they choose to get on an inflatable to do so rather than stay on dry land and apply in France.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:06 am They can and they choose to get on an inflatable to do so rather than stay on dry land and apply in France.
They do. And that's why none of the half arsed attempts to stop it are successful. There's obviously a reason why people would put themselves at risk in such a way. I'm sure the reasons are many and varied (pull of family, friends, naivety, desperation, promise of something better than a **** camp in Callais) but throwing our hands up and saying 'why don't they just stay in France' won't stop people coming.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:05 am Like the Ukrainians they turn up at the visa application centres we have and apply.
That option is as you say, is only available to Ukrainians & some Afghans. There is NO way to claim Asylum for anyone else unless they are at a port on the UK mainland

SammyLeeWasOffside

old fart wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:49 am That option is as you say, is only available to Ukrainians & some Afghans. There is NO way to claim Asylum for anyone else unless they are at a port on the UK mainland
I know, that's a different question to the one about Ukrainians coming from france though.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Hammer1966 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:38 am They do. And that's why none of the half arsed attempts to stop it are successful. There's obviously a reason why people would put themselves at risk in such a way. I'm sure the reasons are many and varied (pull of family, friends, naivety, desperation, promise of something better than a **** camp in Callais) but throwing our hands up and saying 'why don't they just stay in France' won't stop people coming.
Will anything stop people. The largest group this year seem to be Albanians, is there a war over there? Why don't they visit our visa application centre in Albania and get the 180 visa they are entitled to?
old fart

Post by old fart »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:05 am I know, that's a different question to the one about Ukrainians coming from france though.
Ukranians don't come from France via the smugglers, they have no need to
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Express Jan 2017 wrote:"More than 5,700 Albanians applied for asylum in France in 2016. But they are classified as economic migrants, and as a result, only 16 per cent were granted asylum last year.

The rest – 84 per cent – were deported and sent back to Albania. "
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/75 ... nia-france
SammyLeeWasOffside

old fart wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:10 am Ukranians don't come from France via the smugglers, they have no need to
I have been responding to the question someone asked earlier which was about Ukrainians coming through 3rd countries
old fart

Post by old fart »

If an economic migrant applies for asylum then that application has to be checked out, how quickly they are denied and returned depends on quickly their claim is assessed. We have enormous backlogs hence the need to house them somewhere whilst the claim is processed.
old fart

Post by old fart »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:21 am I have been responding to the question someone asked earlier which was about Ukrainians coming through 3rd countries
Talking at cross purposes then, the Ukrainians who crossed safe countries like Poland France etc before arriving did so because they has a sponsor in the UK who was prepared to offered accommodation. My two Ukrainians waited 5 months sleeping on a cold gym floor in Poland before they were finally granted visas
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

old fart wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:22 am If an economic migrant applies for asylum then that application has to be checked out, how quickly they are denied and returned depends on quickly their claim is assessed. We have enormous backlogs hence the need to house them somewhere whilst the claim is processed.
If that economic migrant chances their arm in one country and comes up against an 84% refusal and deport rate, they will seek out somewhere else that is perceived to be a 'softer touch' where the odds are better.
old fart

Post by old fart »

Perception is not always reality, their claim still has to be processed

You can only apply for asylum in 1 EU country so they apply here if turned down in the EU, another benefit of Brexit.
SammyLeeWasOffside

old fart wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:29 am Talking at cross purposes then, the Ukrainians who crossed safe countries like Poland France etc before arriving did so because they has a sponsor in the UK who was prepared to offered accommodation.
I know all that I was just picking up DDAs facetious question with my own facetious replies.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

old fart wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:37 am Perception is not always reality, their claim still has to be processed

You can only apply for asylum in 1 EU country so they apply here if turned down in the EU, another benefit of Brexit.
They will stop applying if they see prompt action and swift refusal.

They come by boat because the borders have been tightened and the previously lax norms at the borders have gone.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:48 am I know all that I was just picking up DDAs facetious question with my own facetious replies.
Blame del. He took us to the classic idea that asylum seekers shouldn't make it here because there are other safe countries to go through.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Hammer1966 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:38 amThere's obviously a reason why people would put themselves at risk in such a way. I'm sure the reasons are many and varied (pull of family, friends, naivety, desperation, promise of something better than a **** camp in Callais)
Don't forget, it's also the best chance of setting foot here for those without ANY valid reason at all, for being here.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:46 am Blame del. He took us to the classic idea that asylum seekers shouldn't make it here because there are other safe countries to go through.
I think his point is that at the point people get on a dinghy in France they aren't fleeing the danger and persecution described in the post above his. They are fleeing France.

That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a better system in place or that people shouldn't come here. However France is a safe country, it might not be the asylum seekers first choice but by the time they get to the channel they are well away from war zones and (hopefully) religious persecution.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

LBC's James 'Sh*t-Stirrer' O'Brien this morning with his loaded question: "Isn't it strange that no one complained about thousands of Ukrainians coming over here?"
Well James, ignoring your heart-felt desire for it to be for racist/colour/religious reasons, perhaps it was mainly because almost all of those Ukrainians fully intend to go back home asap one day & not stay just because they fancied coming & living here because it's nicer than where they live.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:39 am I think his point is that at the point people get on a dinghy in France they aren't fleeing the danger and persecution described in the post above his. They are fleeing France.

That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a better system in place or that people shouldn't come here. However France is a safe country, it might not be the asylum seekers first choice but by the time they get to the channel they are well away from war zones and (hopefully) religious persecution.
They aren't fleeing France or any of the other 'safe' countries they passed through. They are travelling to the UK. And legally they have every right to. The reasons why they chose to do that are many and varied. You can keep saying they can stay in France. They'll keep doing what they see as being in their best interests. Just like you and I do. We just don't start from such a difficult jumping off point so it's never going to make sense to us. Empathy on the other hand is possible. And the UK government seem incapable of showing any.