Migrants crossing the Channel

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Re: Migrants crossing the Channel

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Speaking to various neighbours who have come over here (some legally and some less so), the overwhelming reason is commonality of language
Vast swathes of the world speak some English, especially the younger cohort. If you are looking to go somewhere to work or to live illegally on the edges of society, being able to communicate, even at a basic level, is essential.

If you go to Paris, the overwhelming majority of immigrants are from Francophone Africa, as they have decided to chance their arm there for the same reason
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Boris puts his foot in it
Emmanuel Macron has reacted angrily to Boris Johnson's public call for France to take back migrants who reach the UK.

The French President accused the UK prime minister of not being "serious" by making the call on Twitter, after the deaths of 27 people on Wednesday.

And his spokesman accused Mr Johnson of "double talk" for saying something different to Mr Macron privately.

The diplomatic row erupted after France withdrew a summit invitation to Home Secretary Priti Patel.

Belgium, France, the Netherlands, Germany and the European Commission are due to attend Sunday's talks in Calais, which Mr Macron set up to try to deal with the recent surge in migrant crossings of the Channel.

French Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin reacted angrily, saying: "We consider the British prime minister's public letter unacceptable and counter to our discussions between partners... As a result Priti Patel is no longer invited."

And a French government spokesman said the letter did not "correspond at all" with discussions Mr Johnson and Mr Macron had had had on Wednesday, adding: "We are sick of double-speak."

On Friday morning, Mr Macron used a press conference to criticise the UK's handling of the crisis, saying: "The right response is to have a serious co-operation, to stop these movements, to dismantle the trafficking networks, and prevent these men and women arriving on our soil, because by then it's already too late."

He also attacked Mr Johnson over the posting of the prime minister's letter to the French government on Twitter, saying: "I spoke two days ago with Prime Minster Johnson in a serious way.

"For my part I continue to do that, as I do with all countries and all leaders. I am surprised by methods when they are not serious.

"We do not communicate from one leader to another on these issues by tweets and letters that we make public. We are not whistleblowers."
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

He hasn't put his foot in it, what he has done is intentional.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:55 am Speaking to various neighbours who have come over here (some legally and some less so), the overwhelming reason is commonality of language
Vast swathes of the world speak some English, especially the younger cohort. If you are looking to go somewhere to work or to live illegally on the edges of society, being able to communicate, even at a basic level, is essential.

If you go to Paris, the overwhelming majority of immigrants are from Francophone Africa, as they have decided to chance their arm there for the same reason
You are right!

Also, the logistics of the journey is much easier. You'll need to have points along the way where you can stock up/rest/earn more cash.
The route has been laid out by previous migrants, some still stuck somewhere along the way.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:46 am I worked on a study nearly twenty years ago, which interviewed in person (and used interviews by third parties of) asylum seekers, legal and illegal immigrants and people who were applying at our embassies around the world.

The main pulls were seen as the following (in no particular order)
Family and support networks (established groups from the same area and/or ethnic background)
Already speaking some English
UK seen as a country where those who put the effort in can earn money and provide a safe home for their family
UK seen as country that welcomes people whom are willing to work
UK seen as a country where your children can grow up safely, be well educated and get better jobs

So, the main pulls are perceptions that if you put the effort in you will earn rewards and your children will see the benefits - very hard to stop those

At that time there was a perception amongst some that the UK benefit system and failure to quickly process asylum claims was a factor however to be honest we didn't find evidence of that - the nearest was the belief that the Government would help them find work and would provide training where it was required.
Same answeres in The Scandic countries and Benelux :newthumb:

People want a better life. That is the core.
The overwhelmingly vast majority are still reluctant to leave home. The biggest step most take is moving from a village to a city.

Our wealth is there for all to see. Our borders, even when fenced up and surveilled, are being penetrated on a daily basis.
And still, billions remain at home....

Refugees are the ones with the most pressing needs. They per definition cannot stay at home, as they are in danger.
Regular migrants opt in, and take the risks involved to be able to live better.
And they will continue to come, for as long as the gap between ourselves and their lifestyle is so dramatically different.
Anti-immigrant should be pro-development aid, and should invest heavily in poor countries infrastructure and education.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Samba wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:18 pm And yet weeks ago you posted this, pulling me up on something:

Little bit naughty, H.
Fair play to you for donating to migrants, though.
I can't knock you for that. :newthumb:
For my benefit can you highlight what's wrong there? I'm assuming you think I've contradicted myself but I'm struggling to see it tbh. Thanks.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Hammer1966 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:35 pm For my benefit can you highlight what's wrong there? I'm assuming you think I've contradicted myself but I'm struggling to see it tbh. Thanks.
No, it wasn't anything about contradiction, H. As you said on Wednesday, you weren't making a comparison.
I had previously said that in my opinion I felt that, 'there is a difference between people coming here in fear for their life & unqualified people with nothing to offer the country, coming here because it pays better or they just fancy living here'.
In your previous reply to my post, you said that you were the same as those 'unqualified people with nothing to offer the country, coming here because it pays better or they just fancy living here'.
When you clarified your circumstances, no, you were not the same at all & it then came across as quite disingenuous. As someone from Dublin, you had clear rights to be able to come & live & work here, even if just because you fancied doing it. You also weren't claiming asylum from Ireland (I hope!).
People coming across the Channel, haven't got the rights that you had.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:15 am They'd never get past the U-boats.
The story was it ran aground , me and my Wolf Pack know different .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-11605365

p.s. Highland Council actually talked about dishing out iodine tablets to the people of Kyleakin and Broadford [ where I worked at the time ] .
Samba

Post by Samba »

EvilC wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:38 am He hasn't put his foot in it, what he has done is intentional.
Very astute, EC :newthumb:
Samba

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:48 pm The story was it ran aground , me and my Wolf Pack know different .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-11605365

p.s. Highland Council actually talked about dishing out iodine tablets to the people of Kyleakin and Broadford [ where I worked at the time ] .
Only for those growing a third ear..
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

szola wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:44 am You are right!

Also, the logistics of the journey is much easier. You'll need to have points along the way where you can stock up/rest/earn more cash.
The route has been laid out by previous migrants, some still stuck somewhere along the way.
France is closer than Dover?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

These people who managed to find a way to cross the channel, have certainly put Hitler's Wehrmarkt to shame. No wonder he often said, he was surrounded by idiots
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:15 am These people who managed to find a way to cross the channel, have certainly put Hitler's Wehrmarkt to shame. No wonder he often said, he was surrounded by idiots
:shock:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I see the BBC managed to find a young, attractive, europeanish looking woman in amongst the victims. No word of all the working age blokes who were there with her and made up the vast majority of the victims

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59439533
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Denbighammer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:35 am I see the BBC managed to find a young, attractive, europeanish looking woman in amongst the victims. No word of all the working age blokes who were there with her and made up the vast majority of the victims

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59439533
That’s the only person that has been identified so far so they are picking her from a field of one.
The Old Man of Storr

Samba wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:53 pm Only for those growing a third ear..

They did issue a few tablets to my neighbour , Davey McCrockett .

He had one growing out of his front AND it was wild . :ear:
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

That article does read like economic migration rather than a desperate need for asylum.
The Old Man of Storr

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:15 am These people who managed to find a way to cross the channel, have certainly put Hitler's Wehrmarkt to shame. No wonder he often said, he was surrounded by idiots

The channel would have been pretty busy in those days - Cockleshell Heroes and small boats full of weekend sailors crossing over to Dunkirk , rubber dinghies full of armed SS Stormtroopers crossing over to Dover . They'd have needed traffic lights .

Hitler's We Are Marked were a tough lot . :wink:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:09 am The channel would have been pretty busy in those days - Cockleshell Heroes and small boats full of weekend sailors crossing over to Dunkirk , rubber dinghies full of armed SS Stormtroopers crossing over to Dover . They'd have needed traffic lights .

Hitler's We Are Marked were a tough lot . :wink:
Reichsmarcshal Hesselring warned against invasion on account the Wehrmarkt did not possess proper landing craft, but that has not deterred the people smuggling gangs. Irrefutable proof that money talks
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

EvilC wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:26 am:shock:
There's a meme doing the rounds of Hitler and his chums standing on a clifftop and one of them is asking why didn't we try dinghy?