Migrants crossing the Channel

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Re: Migrants crossing the Channel

Post by szola »

If only a fraction of The City's profit from laundering the corrupt money from let's say Western Africa, and only the fraction of the military industry's profit, were spent on infrastructure, health care and education, mysigt bet is that the numbers coming to Europe would plummet.

Who really wants to live with rain, sleet and wind? When you can have sunshine, family and friends?
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:56 pm Isn’t part of the problem that the laws have not kept pace with geopolitical change? I think they were drafted to deal with a post WWII world where large scale migration simply didn’t occur.
Some of it comes down to a countries interpretation and application of the laws:

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefi ... grant-rate

An interesting report that puts some myths to bed, raises some questions* and once again shows up government failings. It may also go some way into providing reasons for the governments recent plans........

* One being that perhaps Blair's 1998 HR act is more restrictive in establishing a firmer asylum policy than often maligned UNCHR / ECHR?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Interesting article on Reuters about the significant increase in 'irregular' arrivals in Canada. These are people not going through official ports of entry at the US/Canada border.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... ce=twitter

The 'safe country' next door, the US, is not meeting the asylum seekers' expectations, it has nearly 900,000 outstanding applications to be processed with extremely long wait times (Canada has 80,000+), and there is some nudge behaviour and facilitation going on (free bus tickets out of New York) in the name of humanitarianism.

Within Canada, the new arrivals are concentrated in a particular area, which cannot cope and has to arrange dispersal.

It illustrates that the issues we have are not unique to us in the slightest. There are asylum seekers saying the same things about France and Europe that they are about the US.

It seems that an update of the rules and conventions is an inevitability because the current system is failing in multiple places.
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 438 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

There really isn’t a solution to people showing up in Britain. As long as they have a chance of improving their lives, they will keep finding ways to arrive here or any country they feel can improve their lives and I don’t blame them for trying to find a better life.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Greatest Hits Vol1 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:35 pm There really isn’t a solution to people showing up in Britain. As long as they have a chance of improving their lives, they will keep finding ways to arrive here or any country they feel can improve their lives and I don’t blame them for trying to find a better life.
The solution is probably to make their lives better in the countries they come from....but yep, it's 100% understandable that people try for a better life. It isn't peculiar to immigration either.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Posted this on the BBC thread in relation to the Lineker nonsense but as that's about to end thought it's better served here:

In January to September 2022, half of small boat arrivals were from just these two nationalities - Albanians (35%) and Afghans (15%), as shown in Figure 4. In the latest quarter alone (July to September 2022), 45% of small boat arrivals were Albanian (9,076), and there were days where as many as 80% of arrivals were Albanian.

This issue isn't about Syrian or Ukrainian refugees... Don't let the politics blind you
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Greatest Hits Vol1 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:35 pm There really isn’t a solution to people showing up in Britain. As long as they have a chance of improving their lives, they will keep finding ways to arrive here or any country they feel can improve their lives and I don’t blame them for trying to find a better life.
Is that life improvement not available in France?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

MD_HM wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:11 am Posted this on the BBC thread in relation to the Lineker nonsense but as that's about to end thought it's better served here:

In January to September 2022, half of small boat arrivals were from just these two nationalities - Albanians (35%) and Afghans (15%), as shown in Figure 4. In the latest quarter alone (July to September 2022), 45% of small boat arrivals were Albanian (9,076), and there were days where as many as 80% of arrivals were Albanian.

This issue isn't about Syrian or Ukrainian refugees... Don't let the politics blind you
Albanians. Here's the skinny, as I understand it, from talking at the weekend to a solicitor that is advising Brighton Council about the Albanian children who have gone missing from local hotels.

~ Post the war in Kosovo, the criminal gangs associated with the Albanian Kosovars had a very limited horizon and looked overseas for opportunity.

~ The subsequent spread of the Albanian Mafia has mostly been down to their willingness to buddy up with other crime rings, notably the Italian mafia, the Turks and the Colombians. They also are very good at setting up mutually beneficial trade deals.

~ Before the rise of the Albanians, most of the cocaine in the UK came from South America via mainland Europe, and had various margins applied by drug gangs (Russian, mostly) that operated in Europe. The drugs were usually cut with other cheaper substances by the same gangs.

~ The Albi's made a deal with the Colombian cartels and imported cocaine direct into the UK, excluding the middlemen. In this way they were able to offer a much cheaper product with much higher quality. That's partly the reason that there are so many coked up dick heads at football now.

~ Subsequently, the Albanians have pretty much taken control of the UK drug market, which is worth £5 billion. They're also responsible for maybe 70% of prostitution, arms smuggling and, crucially, people trafficking. They're the biggest organised crime group in the UK, maybe third or fourth in the world.

~ They are ****ing ruthless.

~ It would seem that seem that some of the Albi's trying to reach the UK are coming willingly as they may already have been recruited, or are enticed by a better life(there's a low level offshoot gang known as the Hellbainianz that make rap videos with the usual cash, girls, cars, guns as a recruiting tool), but many are being coerced into coming by the mafia. If they return, bad things will happen to them and their families.

It's all ****ed, but it's not as simple as "send them all back, there's no war in Albania".
delbert

Post by delbert »

Being as arguments for us to take a greater numbers of asylum seekers invariably involves selective comparisons with other countries, here's one solely concerning Albanians:

https://www.worlddata.info/europe/albania/asylum.php

Other countries are taking a far more pragmatic approach than us when it comes to importing criminals.........
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 438 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

Jabsco79 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:15 pm Is that life improvement not available in France?
Who knows, maybe they don’t speak French but know English? Maybe they have family, friends or a community in the UK? Also, it’s not like every person who leaves their country for a better life ends up in the UK. Some do stay in France or don’t even go that far. Some are on completely different continents.

My point is that people will always migrate to improve their lives. There are no solutions that one nation can make.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

delbert wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:08 pm Being as arguments for us to take a greater numbers of asylum seekers invariably involves selective comparisons with other countries, here's one solely concerning Albanians:

https://www.worlddata.info/europe/albania/asylum.php

Other countries are taking a far more pragmatic approach than us when it comes to importing criminals.........
We're obviously seen as a soft touch, and with good reason by the looks of it. No wonder they don't apply in France - they get a quick 'non'.
Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:44 pm Albanians. Here's the skinny, as I understand it...
Interesting post, now imagine Suella Braverman repeating it word for word.
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:30 pm We're obviously seen as a soft touch, and with good reason by the looks of it. No wonder they don't apply in France - they get a quick 'non'.

Interesting post, now imagine Suella Braverman repeating it word for word.
I'm not Suella Braverman.
delbert

Post by delbert »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:44 pm I'm not Suella Braverman.
Imagine if you was, if you was in her knickers for a day, what would you do*?

* Besides the obvious..... :lol:
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:44 pm I'm not Suella Braverman.
That's what they all say.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:44 pm Albanians. Here's the skinny, as I understand it, from talking at the weekend to a solicitor that is advising Brighton Council about the Albanian children who have gone missing from local hotels.

~ Post the war in Kosovo, the criminal gangs associated with the Albanian Kosovars had a very limited horizon and looked overseas for opportunity.

~ The subsequent spread of the Albanian Mafia has mostly been down to their willingness to buddy up with other crime rings, notably the Italian mafia, the Turks and the Colombians. They also are very good at setting up mutually beneficial trade deals.

~ Before the rise of the Albanians, most of the cocaine in the UK came from South America via mainland Europe, and had various margins applied by drug gangs (Russian, mostly) that operated in Europe. The drugs were usually cut with other cheaper substances by the same gangs.

~ The Albi's made a deal with the Colombian cartels and imported cocaine direct into the UK, excluding the middlemen. In this way they were able to offer a much cheaper product with much higher quality. That's partly the reason that there are so many coked up dick heads at football now.

~ Subsequently, the Albanians have pretty much taken control of the UK drug market, which is worth £5 billion. They're also responsible for maybe 70% of prostitution, arms smuggling and, crucially, people trafficking. They're the biggest organised crime group in the UK, maybe third or fourth in the world.

~ They are ****ing ruthless.

~ It would seem that seem that some of the Albi's trying to reach the UK are coming willingly as they may already have been recruited, or are enticed by a better life(there's a low level offshoot gang known as the Hellbainianz that make rap videos with the usual cash, girls, cars, guns as a recruiting tool), but many are being coerced into coming by the mafia. If they return, bad things will happen to them and their families.

It's all ****ed, but it's not as simple as "send them all back, there's no war in Albania".
First time I pretty much agree with everything you have said :grin:

But again I haven't ever said send them all back, I've just pointed out there is a problem as you have eloquently described above.
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

delbert wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:51 pm Imagine if you was, if you was in her knickers for a day, what would you do*?

* Besides the obvious..... :lol:
I'd buy those slingbacks I've had my eye on.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Albanians

The figure for 2022 accounted for 28% of arrivals in small boats, were Albanian nationals
85% of Albanians who arrived by small boats submitted asylum applications
13% of Albanians - 1,719 people - who arrived in small boats were referred to the National Referral Mechanism for modern slavery. That's a higher number than for any other country

Ireland, UK, Italy and France grant about the same number of applications
France prosess as many applications as all other European countries put together

Went to Albania last year
I understand why they want to move from there
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

szola wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:13 pm Albanians

The figure for 2022 accounted for 28% of arrivals in small boats, were Albanian nationals
85% of Albanians who arrived by small boats submitted asylum applications
13% of Albanians - 1,719 people - who arrived in small boats were referred to the National Referral Mechanism for modern slavery. That's a higher number than for any other country

Ireland, UK, Italy and France grant about the same number of applications
France prosess as many applications as all other European countries put together

Went to Albania last year

Actually according to Delbs' web link above, I'd say that France is rejecting as many applications as the other European countries together, and the UK appears to have accepted as many as the rest of Europe put together.......
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

szola wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:13 pm Went to Albania last year
You saying that your visit has caused all this? FFS mate.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Says a lot if Mrs' "Send 'em back" vans thinks your policy is needlessly cruel.