Migrants crossing the Channel

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Re: Migrants crossing the Channel

Post by delbert »

Oldun wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:19 pm To criticise a group of unpaid volunteers is a new low for me.
A divided country of people who care and people who only care for themselves.
It may well be new on here but it's been going on for a while:

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2021- ... volunteers

It's no where near as straightforward as that........
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3031 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

delbert wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:29 pm It's no where near as straightforward as that........
Actually, it is.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Oldun wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:19 pm To criticise a group of unpaid volunteers is a new low for me.
A divided country of people who care and people who only care for themselves.
It's where I struggle, migrants (be it fleeing war or even these "economic migrants" people worry about) all are worse off than me just because they weren't born here

So I get a safe environment to live in with good job opportunities just because I was born here and not there

I struggle begrudging someone wanting to come here , they go through near death experience to access what I take for granted.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1507 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

It's a good job that the Fire brigade only put ot fires of people they approve of otherwise we could all be ****ed.

I've just chucked an extra £20 to the RNLI thanks to the last page though so thanks for the reminder. Happy New Year!
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by likemydreams »

Jennings
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by Jennings »

Turns to Stone wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:05 pm It's a good job that the Fire brigade only put ot fires of people they approve of otherwise we could all be ****ed.

I've just chucked an extra £20 to the RNLI thanks to the last page though so thanks for the reminder. Happy New Year!
Heartwarming. Nice one TTS

Good luck to all the poor souls who take such extreme measures to get to our shores. I can't imagine the nightmares they must have endured in their lives to take such risks.

I guess for love and compassion to even exist, there also must be hatred and fear. I'm not sure what else can explain some of the comments in this thread.
delbert

Post by delbert »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:32 pm Actually, it is.
Everyone cares for someone, even if it's only their own mum......
delbert

Post by delbert »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:49 pm It's where I struggle, migrants (be it fleeing war or even these "economic migrants" people worry about) all are worse off than me just because they weren't born here

So I get a safe environment to live in with good job opportunities just because I was born here and not there

I struggle begrudging someone wanting to come here , they go through near death experience to access what I take for granted.
Welcome them all here and what you take for granted will cease to exist, there has to be controls. There's legal ways to migrate into the UK, the shysters crossing the channel are swerving that and in doing so are making it that much harder to help the genuine........
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1230 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I'm sure you're right, but somewhere, somehow, I can't help feeling I'd rather be surrounded by any number of people from anywhere who desperately want to live and work here, than share this country with a single individual who'd be happy to see anyone drown.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Tenbury wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:29 pm I'm sure you're right, but somewhere, somehow, I can't help feeling I'd rather be surrounded by any number of people from anywhere who desperately want to live and work here, than share this country with a single individual who'd be happy to see anyone drown.
Second this. Well said.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

Tenbury wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:29 pm I'm sure you're right, but somewhere, somehow, I can't help feeling I'd rather be surrounded by any number of people from anywhere who desperately want to live and work here, than share this country with a single individual who'd be happy to see anyone drown.
All day long.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

delbert wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:27 pm Welcome them all here and what you take for granted will cease to exist, there has to be controls. There's legal ways to migrate into the UK, the shysters crossing the channel are swerving that and in doing so are making it that much harder to help the genuine........
'shysters' and 'genuine' are very movable terms, especially where legislation is involved. For laws, definitions must be made and they will always be too narrow for some and too broad ("welcome them all here" you said) for others. I'm reluctant to blame any government for actions concerning illegal immigration in dangerous circumstances cos I don't think it's a problem that can be solved, it just isn't going to stop no matter how many traffickers (they're the shysters) you bang up it's like whack-a-mole. Rwanda is 19th century thinking though.
Immigration control is and will always be necessary imo. However, with the world being how it is, people will not stop coming.
Ralph Mellish
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Ralph Mellish »

Can't we pull out of the asylum system or is it part of the Geneva convention or similar ?
likemydreams

Post by likemydreams »

delbert

Post by delbert »

I'd like to think, with varying caveats, most people are of the same opinion mate.......
delbert

Post by delbert »

Ralph Mellish wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:46 pm Can't we pull out of the asylum system or is it part of the Geneva convention or similar ?
This is what we signed up to:

https://www.unhcr.org/uk/1951-refugee-convention.html

Although it may well be need updating it'd be disgusting if we pulled out of it just because of the current problem.......
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

delbert wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:03 pm I'd like to think, with varying caveats, most people are of the same opinion mate.......
Im sure you’re right, delbs. But given the fact that posters are openly sharing that they won’t donate to the RNLI and the RNLI are having to publicly ask certain members of the public to not abuse their volunteers, it certainly doesn’t seem that way sometimes.
likemydreams

Post by likemydreams »

Turns to Stone wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:55 am Im sure you’re right, delbs. But given the fact that posters are openly sharing that they won’t donate to the RNLI and the RNLI are having to publicly ask certain members of the public to not abuse their volunteers, it certainly doesn’t seem that way sometimes.
Trouble is people have had enough of seeing them basically pick them up and ferry them in , the border force should be with them and send them back to france ! Putting them up in hotels whilst a huge number of people here aren't able to heat there homes is a pisstake !
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3031 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

likemydreams wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:32 am Trouble is people have had enough of seeing them basically pick them up and ferry them in , the border force should be with them and send them back to france ! Putting them up in hotels whilst a huge number of people here aren't able to heat there homes is a pisstake !
What else would you expect the RNLI to do? The clue is in their name.

Do you really believe the reason people cannot afford to heat their homes is because the RNLI are saving peoples lives in the channel?

Really?
likemydreams

Post by likemydreams »

Not at all , but charity starts at home so lets look after home 1st , i know this is a complicated matter but whilst we're in a cost of living crisis we need to make ourselves harder to enter