Migrants crossing the Channel

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Migrants crossing the Channel

Post by Puff Daddy »

Nearly 4,000 illegal migrants have successfully crossed the English Channel this year, more than double than in the whole of 2019, including 250 in just one day alone. Apparently, in a recent report, more than half of all Britons think immigration into the UK is too high, despite Tory promises to bring it down. I think most people have strong views about a perceived lack of effective immigration control, but these have not been helped by Tony Blair's open doors policy to immigration policy of the late 1990's

What does everybody think of Priti Patel's proposals to help combat this crisis, because that has become ? Is she right ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... risis.html
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Re: Migrants crossing the Channel

Post by Junco Partner »

-75,000 excess dead in Pandemic
-Bungled management of the crisis
-Economy shredded
-Unemployment about to soar
-Brexit a total clusterfuck

Quick everyone look over there, some migrants!!!
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

We should let them drown?
This issue has been going on for years, and we don't know if numbers are up or down.
Unfortunately it has always been a considered racist to even discuss this. When in fact the lack of discussion and even tackling this issue has put more at lives at risk.
As usual the left answer is to let everyone in. But never say what this involves. Medical screening, check for criminal records, homes, schooling, pensions ect.
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

75,000 excess dead in Pandemic
-Economy shredded

It's not much of a distraction when it's been going on virtually unreported for ages and can be added to their other failings......
Last edited by delbert on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

And another thing....
Why bother with passports or visas when all we need to do is claim asylum where ever we go.
Oh, it doesn't work for white people in the West.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

666 hammer wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:44 am We should let them drown?
This issue has been going on for years, and we don't know if numbers are up or down.
Unfortunately it has always been a considered racist to even discuss this. When in fact the lack of discussion and even tackling this issue has put more at lives at risk.
As usual the left answer is to let everyone in. But never say what this involves. Medical screening, check for criminal records, homes, schooling, pensions ect.
We do know the numbers and they are up and it is for fear of being branded a racist, that it has come to this
YGNB
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by YGNB »

People made their choice very clearly - they wanted less immigration from European (white and culturally similar countries). Non European migration was always going to increase to make up for it...
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

I believe you did not read what leavers wanted. Read through the Brexit thread. It was, always about controlled migration.
Getting on a small boat to enter illegally is nothing to do with brexit as those camps in France have been there for years and with labour, lib dems and Conservative parties in government.
Illegal immigration only benefits criminals and puts those making the crossing lives at risk.
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

YGNB wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:30 am People made their choice very clearly - they wanted less immigration from European (white and culturally similar countries). Non European migration was always going to increase to make up for it...
They wanted controlled immigration, what is currently happening is uncontrolled illegal immigration. Why does one have to increase to make up for the other?
YGNB
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by YGNB »

666 hammer wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:37 am I believe you did not read what leavers wanted. Read through the Brexit thread. It was, always about controlled migration.
Getting on a small boat to enter illegally is nothing to do with brexit as those camps in France have been there for years and with labour, lib dems and Conservative parties in government.
Illegal immigration only benefits criminals and puts those making the crossing lives at risk.
I agree actually. I was being a bit glib with my comment (although I do believe a reckoning will come once non EU migration explodes - which I think it will. This is from February this year

379,000 people came to UK from non-EU countries in year to September 2019

Year-on-year rise in estimated non-EU net migration of 26,000 to 250,000

Arrivals from the European Union have fallen since the Brexit vote in June 2016

But number of people coming to Britain from outside EU has gradually risen)

The migrant crossings are really a tough issue to solve. Many will say just send them back, well of course its not that simple. We just have to reduce the pull factors. Maybe make it clear anyone crossing into the country illegally will never be eligible for citizenship or a visa? Is that legal?

People get annoyed by seeing them put up in 4 star hotels with an allowance, which is understandable to an extent. But what's the other options? Building 'camps' is not us
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I will give the Brexiteers some credit, it looks like they'll succeed in crippling the UK's economy which will significantly reduce the pull factor.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

YGNB wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:46 am People get annoyed by seeing them put up in 4 star hotels with an allowance, which is understandable to an extent. But what's the other options? Building 'camps' is not us
No it's not, in fairness, and if we did have camps people would complain about those too.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I fully support real good immigration where people apply either due to there qualifications, our need for certain sectors or desperate pleas from people who apply using the proper channels, I totally abhor all illegal immigration and we should take none of them, we have no clue who they are, what disease they could have, what crimes they could have committed, what health conditions they have and just anything, we shouldn't be supporting these illegal acts. Just look at any town these days, I wouldn't say most of them haven't been enriched by all these illegal migrations, if anything a lot are far worse, most of these migrants too are males between 16-40, a lot with very questionable ages too
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Junco Partner wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:32 am -75,000 excess dead in Pandemic
-Economy shredded

If we make that number of immigrants 6,000 this year (to make it easier to do the maths), then that's just under 0.001% of the total UK population.

Junco Partner is spot on. Farage, right wing media, twitter etc all focusing on this asylum seeking stuff to draw attention away from their own shitshow.

I also agree with the above poster that illegal immigration should be prevented as much as possible. But those who have made it, whatever, it really is not a huge issue.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

fmgod wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:40 amwe should take none of them, we have no clue who they are, what disease they could have, what crimes they could have committed, what health conditions they have and just anything
When my gran came to London with my mum in her tummy, after my grandad and his brother were killed in a labour camp, a lot of people were saying similar things about the Jews. Aren't we better than that now?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:12 pm Aren't we better than that now?
While I agree with the point you are making, the counter point is what is the point of having passports or any border checks at all? Why not just have a free for all then? Do away with border controls, asylum claims and any regulation.....

250 economic migrants a day, a pinprick
250 migrants with covid a bit more of an issue
250 terrorists?
250 rapists?

Who knows if we don't have a process in place? Don't we have a right to know who is entering the country?

The system is so flawed they cut the engine and wait to be picked up by border patrol like a taxi collection.

My first question is why isn't the boat driver arrested for people smuggling, surely that would be a deterrent.

The other point to counter the liberal outlook, is the more success seen to be happening the more will try. This weather won't hold forever and when the dead bodies start washing up on shore in October then we will told how this is all our fault and the blood is on UK hands.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

Are you suggesting France has labour death camps? If not why are they seeking asylum from a safe place?
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

No we aren't.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

Aren't what?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

I say we stick a load of buoys in the English Channel with signs on with arrows saying "England this way" but turn the arrows to point back to France.

Job jobbed.