The BBC

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Re: The BBC

Post by OFT »

Dorries: BBC licence fee announcement will be the last

Nadine Dorres pretending its about us OAP's . F' off.

Sell? The Tory goto with all things 'national'. F' 'off
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

OFT wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:14 am Dorries: BBC licence fee announcement will be the last

Nadine Dorres pretending its about us OAP's . F' off.

Sell? The Tory goto with all things 'national'. F' 'off

It'll be the NHS next , you just know it .

BOC the lot of them .
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:40 am It'll be the NHS next , you just know it .

BOC the lot of them .
wait until the navy sink a few rubber dinghies in the channel
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:40 am It'll be the NHS next , you just know it .
What do you mean 'next'?

Privatisation of the NHS started with Blair. How do you think he built all those shiney hospitals? Wasn't with taxpayers money.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

If it means Line- acre and co might have to take a pay cut then its a fabulous idea.

A million pound a year going into his sky rocket is a crime in itself.
Last edited by westham,eggyandchips on Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Well I for one am certain that Nadine Dorres and the Tories have the best interests of the great British public at heart in all she does with regards to this. Definitely. They totally won't try and break it up and sell off the most profitable parts so their chums can make money whilst getting rid of a broadcaster that doesn't kowtow to their needs.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

BOC the lot of them .
Terrible swines
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Well this is a learning day. I didn't know until now quite how many countries had a similar system to the UK.

Putting aside the ins and outs of managing a tiered system like this, would those who think it's unfair have an issue with the system they have in Norway:
The current license costs around NOK 3,000 per household, but the new tax will be individual and income-based. Those who earn little will pay little, with a maximum individual contribution of NOK 1,700.

Annual income up to 150,000kr = NRK tax of 100kr
Annual income 150,000 – 200,000 = NRK tax of 900
Annual income of 200,000 – 250,000 = NRK tax of 1,400
Annual income of 250,000 – 350,000 = NRK tax of 1,600
Annual income above 350,000 = NRK tax of 1,700
A lot of the complaining about it seems to come from those who have issue with pensioners paying. What if we kept the current model of it being free for those on pension credit and also used the above to reduce the cost for those who do have to pay to around £8 a month?
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Depressing that we live in a country that someone of the calibre of Dorries has final say over the future of such an important institution.

Always confused by the Tory notion of patriotism, they love their flags and telling us to be more patriotic, but hate and attack the things that make up our country - the NHS, the BBC, the armed forces, the Royal Mail....even the National Trust, Scotland, the rule of law, parliamentary sovereignty.....all attacked by this mob.

Take them all away from us and what are we left with as a country?
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

sendô wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:32 pm Well I for one am certain that Nadine Dorres and the Tories have the best interests of the great British public at heart in all she does with regards to this. Definitely. They totally won't try and break it up and sell off the most profitable parts so their chums can make money whilst getting rid of a broadcaster that doesn't kowtow to their needs.
Already done mate.

There is the corporation and then BBC Studios the commercial arm. Everything you see on the BBC bar News, Radio, Sport and IPlayer fall under BBC Studios, hence why you get to hear about how much Zoe Ball and Jug Ears get paid. They are paid the most at the BBC but that doesn't include Studios. Studios as a limited company so they can pay presenters and execs what they like and they are not subject to Freedom of Information requests.

BBC Studios also own UKTV, so W, Drama, Yesterday, Gold etc. In the case of the latter, a subscription service, we punters are paying to watch Only Fools and Horses, despite license payers paying for it in the first place.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

RichieRiv wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:48 pm Everything you see on the BBC bar News, Radio, Sport and IPlayer fall under BBC Studios, hence why you get to hear about how much Zoe Ball and Jug Ears get paid.
All listed in last years annual report

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57733127
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:26 am This licence fee debate is doing my head in to be honest. If people don't want to pay it, then don't pay it. You know what the rules are if you don't pay them, just like you know what the rules are if you don't pay road tax. There are plenty of options to get your fix of entertainment out there without live TV so crack on with it.

Let everyone else who wants to pay it carry on and, while we're at it, we'll pay for a host of national and local radio stations for you, one of the most visited websites in the world, the maintenance of the Freeview network, disability & other niche programming that the commercial broadcasters don't bother with as it isn't profit making....
Would you be happy to pay more to cover the shortfall brought about by those cracking on with not bothering to pay for a licence?
Danny's Dyer Acting

delbert wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:32 pm Would you be happy to pay more to cover the shortfall brought about by those cracking on with not bothering to pay for a licence?
Personally? No idea, what are they offering me in return for paying more money?

Still no answer as to why people who don't like it just don't pay for it. Plenty of ways to access entertainment and information without doing something they're not happy with.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

As much as i get fed up with much of what the BBC does, I’m hoping that the corporation is given the chance to change or reform before license funding is removed. Surely the best idea would be for a comprehensive questionnaire to be presented to license fee payers to find out exactly what kind of content it does or doesn’t want. The fear of course in carrying out this kind of consultation is that the questionnaire shouldn’t be full of leading questions where the BBC gets a result that it wants (Karen Brady-esque). For me they tend to be focussing on age groups that aren’t interested, no matter what they do and also could lighten up in some areas in order to bolster others. I have news output in mind there.
Danny's Dyer Acting

Rays Rock wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:20 pm As much as i get fed up with much of what the BBC does, I’m hoping that the corporation is given the chance to change or reform before license funding is removed. Surely the best idea would be for a comprehensive questionnaire to be presented to license fee payers to find out exactly what kind of content it does or doesn’t want. The fear of course in carrying out this kind of consultation is that the questionnaire shouldn’t be full of leading questions where the BBC gets a result that it wants (Karen Brady-esque). For me they tend to be focussing on age groups that aren’t interested, no matter what they do and also could lighten up in some areas in order to bolster others. I have news output in mind there.
Completely agree with this.

I think and interesting change would be for the BBC to focus much more on creating ideas and then selling on the IP. When they come up with a popular format they should look to sell it off to commercial broadcasters and invest back into the BBC.

Between the two shows the public have paid for about 6,000 episodes of the quiz show Pointless and the daytime soap Doctors. There's clearly markets out there for these things, I would bet there are deals to be done where a commercial channel buys the rights to make them and plaster them with adverts a la Tipping Point and Hollyoaks.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

settlement announced.

smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Nadine Dorris (of all people) banging on about hard working familes, protecting pensioners etc and the license fee. Pull the other one...

Like me I'm sure they are more worried about the likes of Eon increasing their bills by well over 200% in a few months time.

Perhaps she's just got the nark they didn't invite on Strictly after her I'm a Celeb stint.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

That statement reads like much of it could have been cut and pasted from the NHS trusts.
Rays Rock

Post by Rays Rock »

I’d be interested in seeing a long list of BBC news editors and correspondents that could be trimmed down along with its news output. I don’t see it as BBCs job to compete with Sky News 24 hr rolling news. BBC politics channel, that can go too. I know the license fee doesn’t cover radio, but it obviously still gets funded from it, so I’d look at combining some output from 5live/Radio 4/Radio3 to lose one of them completely. I’d also like to know how many of the 16-35 generation drift away from BBC output and come back as they get old and boring.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Rays Rock wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:19 pm . I’d also like to know how many of the 16-35 generation drift away from BBC output and come back as they get old and boring.
Or when they realise how much their BT/Sky etc. subscriptions are costing every month :winker:

On the salaries paid to the 'stars', I'd knock that in the head. Plenty of decent up and coming presenters on the Beeb without sending Gary Lineker, et al. over a million a year.