The BBC

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 942 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Re: The BBC

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:29 pm Probably, but I'd guess it paves the way for some redrafting of the rules/guidance/law etc.

The BBC is a de facto public sector organisation and I know other bits of the public sector were cracking down on 'self employment' that risked looking bogus and refusing to pass public sector funds over to the affected individuals as a consequence. It was trying to move people onto regularised, employee contracts that were compliant with standard tax arrangements.
Rules yes but can't see that any laws will be changed.

IR35 is going to cost the government loads of votes, they're now going to for the small company exemption. So, loads of small businesses are most likely going to be hammered by this (mostly the types of one-man band type of businesses - the type that used to traditionally vote tory).
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Lineker off the naughty step now.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Good to see the BBC have released they didn't have a leg to stand on due to their lack of action in past on others and saying freelancers didn't have to abide by the policy ..

"We will review our policy" lovely code for ah we made a mistake now we must back down

Regardless of people actually agreed with what he said isn't the issue. You can't pull someone for not sticking to a policy that doesn't apply to them. Everyone was fully correct to support him. Half prob don't agree with his comments but what if it's them next taken off the air unfairly?

I'm sure going forward the policy will change but as it stands the BBC made a massive mess of a situation by not understanding their own policies.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:16 pm I don't know a single person who thinks that immigration isn't a problem.
What do you mean by "problem"? Genuine question.
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Like having his first red card overturned by VAR
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:34 pm What do you mean by "problem"? Genuine question.
Not wishing to be obtuse, but according to the dictionary a problem is a matter or situation regarded as unwelcome or harmful and needing to be dealt with and overcome. So that's the really short answer.

I can't really speak for everyone I know because their views will fall somewhere in a large spread of possibilities, and furthermore it's a massive and divergent topic, so it's really hard to nail it in a few words. But, for myself: people who need and deserve our help may not be getting it in the way they should because other less-deserving people are taking a disproportionate share. We have finite resources as a country and we need to assign those resources with the greatest efficacy. And also, to some degree: the topic has taken a disproportionate amount of people's mindspace and is deflecting attention from other important issues, there are bigger fish to fry that haven't even seen the batter yet.

Or something like that.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:14 pm I can't really speak for everyone I know because their views will fall somewhere in a large spread of possibilities, and furthermore it's a massive and divergent topic, so it's really hard to nail it in a few words. But, for myself: people who need and deserve our help may not be getting it in the way they should because other less-deserving people are taking a disproportionate share. We have finite resources as a country and we need to assign those resources with the greatest efficacy. And also, to some degree: the topic has taken a disproportionate amount of people's mindspace and is deflecting attention from other important issues, there are bigger fish to fry that haven't even seen the batter yet.
I think if you speak to most people on here, including me, that's their view too. I believe the Ukrainian people who come here are deserving of our support, unquestionably and I'd rather support given to them than economic migrants for the simple people the Ukrainian people need it more. I don't think you'll get any argument about that.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:27 pm I think if you speak to most people on here, including me, that's their view too. I believe the Ukrainian people who come here are deserving of our support, unquestionably and I'd rather support given to them than economic migrants for the simple people the Ukrainian people need it more. I don't think you'll get any argument about that.
The elephant in the room is that everyone is cool and fine with Ukraine's getting help but weren't as welcoming to Syrians seeking safety from their equally as brutal conflict
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:27 pm I think if you speak to most people on here, including me, that's their view too. I believe the Ukrainian people who come here are deserving of our support, unquestionably and I'd rather support given to them than economic migrants for the simple people the Ukrainian people need it more. I don't think you'll get any argument about that.
Yep.

Anyway, the BBC......
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

mumbles87 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:31 pm The elephant in the room is that everyone is cool and fine with Ukraine's getting help but weren't as welcoming to Syrians seeking safety from their equally as brutal conflict
I'd imagine in regard to Syria, the reason for that is the United Arab Emirates has taken in 368, the United Kingdom 11,422 refugees. Turkey has taken in the most, which is understandable as Syria are neighbours but the sheer lack of help from the rich Arab countries has been pretty shambolic if truth be told. Many have said they simply won't take refugees and the numbers in other countries are pretty appalling to the people of those who countries who are. The notion that we should take in more does grate with some people when you take this into equation

For some context the UK has taken in more than Yemen, USA, Tunisia, Serbia, Kosovo, Saudi Arabia (163 refugees to date), Russia, Romania, South Korea, Qatar (a measly 34), Morocco, Malta, Malaysia, Luxembourg, Libya, Italy, Ireland, Hungary, Finland, Czech Republic, Croatia, Brazil, Australia, Argentina and Brazil.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:34 pm Anyway, the BBC......
:newthumb: :newthumb: :newthumb:
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

Please let this thread finish
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 942 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:34 pm Yep.

Anyway, the BBC......
its playback service is a bit crap, but not as crap as the ITV i-player thingy. At least you can watch live programmes on it unlike the ITV one.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Linekar's still got his job. The BBC look like idiots.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how the Government looks following this. Probably like the rest of us...apathetic?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Fiona Bruce next.
BBC Question Time host Fiona Bruce says she will step back from her role as an ambassador for the domestic violence charity Refuge, following a comment she made on air about Stanley Johnson.

Bruce has been accused of trivialising domestic violence during a discussion about Johnson on last week's show.

In a statement, Bruce said she will be leaving her role "with real sadness".

She added that her words has been "mischaracterised" in a "social media storm".

The presenter faced a criticism after stepping in when Johnson, the father of former Prime Minister Boris, was described as a "wife-beater" on last Thursday's episode of Question Time.

Bruce interjected, telling viewers: "Just so everyone knows what this is referring to, Stanley Johnson's [ex] wife spoke to a journalist, Tom Bower, and she said that Stanley Johnson had broken her nose and that she'd ended up in hospital as a result.

"Stanley Johnson has not commented publicly on that. Friends of his have said it did happen, it was a one-off."

Her comments were criticised by the charity Women's Aid, who called them "unnecessary and irresponsible".

more...
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

I'd like to ask Lineker,how he feels about ...all these "people" Fleeing persecution,and in fear for their lives,so being forced...
FORCED to leave their countries and seek shelter and protection in the UK....are ...erm....85/90 % MALE...
Young Males at that..
Are Their Women not being Persecuted, are they not in fear for their lives...
Takes some Kinda ****hole to Run away to sanctuary leaving your Mothers,Sisters, Aunts and Old folks to face the "supposed" Dangers,you are
fleeing from...

Unbelivable how so called intelligent people can be so Clueless about such an important matter...in this case they can do more harm than
Good..Cos,we are spending Time,Money and Effort helping people that are Basically "Taking the P**s"..and diverting our attentions and
efforts away from those poor souls that "Genuinely" need our help and support.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:31 pm The elephant in the room is that everyone is cool and fine with Ukraine's getting help but weren't as welcoming to Syrians seeking safety from their equally as brutal conflict
We don't agree on much Mumbles but that is a fair point
There are plenty of people around the world living in long-term war zones and far worse conditions than Ukrainians but i doubt very much there is the same level of sympathy or willingness to help

that is not to say Ukrainians shouldn't get all the help and assistance that is possible to them
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:04 pm We don't agree on much Mumbles but that is a fair point
There are plenty of people around the world living in long-term war zones and far worse conditions than Ukrainians but i doubt very much there is the same level of sympathy or willingness to help

that is not to say Ukrainians shouldn't get all the help and assistance that is possible to them
It's not hard to work out why there is more sympathy directed at a European country like Ukraine that has gone from 70+ years of peace to a war zone, whereas the Middle East has been a war zone since beyond the Ottoman Empire.

It's easy to conflate the two and blame racism, mainly due to reducing a problem to a false simplicity by ignoring complicating factors
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:22 pm Fiona Bruce next.
This seems unfair, and indicates just how difficult "impartiality" is. To me it's clear she's just trying to say "this is what people on the other side of the story are saying", I didn't see the show but I assume Stanley wasn't getting much defence, so she's trying to provide that "balance". It seems like extremely bad faith to conclude she genuinely thinks breaking your wife's nose isn't a big deal if it's a one off, rather than a perhaps clumsy attempt to do her job of providing balance.

Should she try and give "both sides" to this kind of issue? Probably I'd say she should. On one hand, Stanley Johnson is clearly a pretty shitty human being, a bigot, a creep, a snob and an abuser. On the other, our last PM was pushing for him to get a knighthood, and while that's a pretty depressing reflection on privilege and nepotism in this country, it does show that the pro-Stanley side is a significant one.
RichieRiv wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:58 pm It's not hard to work out why there is more sympathy directed at a European country like Ukraine that has gone from 70+ years of peace to a war zone, whereas the Middle East has been a war zone since beyond the Ottoman Empire.

It's easy to conflate the two and blame racism, mainly due to reducing a problem to a false simplicity by ignoring complicating factors
But we aren't talking about sympathy to the country itself, but sympathy to the refugees. Why would you be less sympathetic to people who come from a more unstable place? If anything, you should be more sympathetic to them.

While racism undoubtedly has an effect (I'll admit personally seeing white people who look like me in war conditions grabs my attention more than seeing brown people), I think the biggest difference is the messaging. While huge amounts of media and politicians were hostile to the Syrians, very few have been hostile to Ukrainians. This is doubly effective, as very few people like to think that they're influenced by the media, and even fewer like to think they are influenced by politicians.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Exactly in the last few lines. Which is why for me lineker was spot on. The language used against people is disgusting, "stop the boats" an "invasion" turning sympathy into anger.