The BBC

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Re: The BBC

Post by bonzosbeard »

RichieRiv wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:39 pm Between 17 and 30 I watched very little tv because I waa always out and enjoying myself.
Exactly.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

RichieRiv wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:39 pm Between 17 and 30 I watched very little tv because I waa always out and enjoying myself.
Yep. If you'd have told the 20 year-old me that 20 years later I'd be excited to watch The Repair Shop I'd have pissed myself. Yet here we are.

And that for me is the category that the BBC falls into. It's a 'service'. You might not like all of it. You might not like any of it. But at some point in your 80 years or however long any of us are lucky enough to get, you will use it. Just like schools, just like hospitals, just like roads.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:29 am Yep. If you'd have told the 20 year-old me that 20 years later I'd be excited to watch The Repair Shop I'd have pissed myself. Yet here we are.
I was a bit partial to a bit of Time Team on a Sunday night, but that was generally having got back from the pub after an afternoon sesh.

I love the Repair Shop but it has shifted a little of late towards the back story or the person and not the item. "Mavis, who is suffering with long covid....".

To me, it's about the provenance of the item and the skills of the craftspeople. Not the owners and their aches and pains.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

RichieRiv wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:07 am I was a bit partial to a bit of Time Team on a Sunday night, but that was generally having got back from the pub after an afternoon sesh.

I love the Repair Shop but it has shifted a little of late towards the back story or the person and not the item. "Mavis, who is suffering with long covid....".

To me, it's about the provenance of the item and the skills of the craftspeople. Not the owners and their aches and pains.
Yep, definitely looking to get tears out of the audience first and foremost these days. Still brilliant to see what the craftspeople can do.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

RichieRiv wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:07 am I was a bit partial to a bit of Time Team on a Sunday night
Me too. although I had a good laugh when they'd find a bit of broken tile and construct a CGI palace on the back of it :grin:
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:39 pm Me too. although I had a good laugh when they'd find a bit of broken tile and construct a CGI palace on the back of it :grin:
And they'd only find said tile on the last day of the dig when they were pretty much ready to pack up and go home without finding a thing!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

The camera operators on time team did like a good shot down the top of a young filly on a dig, or a pan showing a rather nice bottom. Without a shadow of a doubt it was deliberate.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Re Time Team, it was interesting to read S-H's post on the TV forum about his long and horrifying sexual liaison with that yokel dude.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:02 pm Re Time Team, it was interesting to read S-H's post on the TV forum about his long and horrifying sexual liaison with that yokel dude.
I thought that was S-H, you know, after he'd been sacked as Wurzel Gummdige for inappropriate behaviour with Aunt Sally.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Come on, Phil was star of the show. Not only would he teach you a thing or two, you could go down the boozer with him and get rotten.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

-DL- wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:26 pm The camera operators on time team did like a good shot down the top of a young filly on a dig, or a pan showing a rather nice bottom. Without a shadow of a doubt it was deliberate.
Probably ex Top of the Pops cameramen, they were always zooming on some gusset or other.......
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

delbert wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:39 pm Probably ex Top of the Pops cameramen, they were always zooming on some gusset or other.......
Nothing's changed:-
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

OFT wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:20 am Nothing's changed
Don't you mean zooming in on some ar*ehole? :crylol:
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Big cuts announced today:
BBC News Channel and BBC World TV to merge
Two Local TV services to close
Cuts in local radio hours (more sharing of programmes)
200 fewer hours of new TV comissioning
Radio 4 LW to close
5 Live to close its 909 & 693AM frequncies in the next few years
English langauge World Service to lose £30m
Cuts to linear to output
1,000s of jobs to go (again)

Putting money into online, iPlayer, digital only output, BBC Sounds.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Big George wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:27 pm Radio 4 LW to close
5 Live to close its 909 & 693AM frequncies in the next few years
Two services that I may use around one per year, yet feel saddened to read of their loss.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^handy for football updates when travelling the motorways.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Big George wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:27 pm Putting money into online, iPlayer, digital only output, BBC Sounds.
And paying someone to make **** logos... they are bloody awful.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

CBBC and BBC Four and Radio 4 Extra go online-only
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Welcome to our world.

We laid off 3% globally this week in cost-saving measures. My boss was told last Thursday that he had to off me on Friday, but the good bloke that he is told HR to go f*** themselves and he would change my role. Bit of luck really, as with only 9 months under my belt I would have walked away with ziltch.

So buckle up fellas, because the money markets have become bearish and all those thousands of startups are going to lose their series B,C, D etc funding, which will have a huge knock-on effect.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

RichieRiv wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:46 pm Welcome to our world.

We laid off 3% globally this week in cost-saving measures. My boss was told last Thursday that he had to off me on Friday, but the good bloke that he is told HR to go **** themselves and he would change my role. Bit of luck really, as with only 9 months under my belt I would have walked away with ziltch.

So buckle up fellas, because the money markets have become bearish and all those thousands of startups are going to lose their series B,C, D etc funding, which will have a huge knock-on effect.
Richie you seem to be quite knowledgable when it comes to these sort of things so can you explain why the stock market is still quite buoyant and do you see that changing anytime soon?