The BBC

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Re: The BBC

Post by RichieRiv »

This is going way off-topic, but I will answer FOE's question and then put a sock in it.

Stock markets are not a good barometer of economic health, they are hypersensitive and only last week the Dow took a tumble. You also have to bear in my that there is a not of shorting that does on in stocks and shares.

Institution A borrows Vodafone shares from institution B at price X for period Y.
Institution A sells Vodafone shares and puts the cash on account, maybe even lends it out
Institution A waits for Vodafone shares will go down and buys back shares at a lower price.
Institution A gives Institution B their shares back and takes the margin.

This is what drives the market up and down like a whores drawers.

In my particular case (worryingly so) my company is owned by 5 private equity firms. The CEO's plan was to take us to IPO in 24-36 months, but in order to realise that, we needed to re-finance i.e. get rid of 3 of the PE firms and replace them with one big one, that would increase investment to help us grow to the size where we can float on Nasdaq.

Everything was going to plan before Putin ****ed it up by invading Ukraine. Prior to that point, there were trillions floating around the place (all that lovely money that governments printed for Covid). Getting new investments was easy. But as soon as Ukraine hit, financial institutions turned off the taps. They became "bearish". Our CEO couldn't execute his plan, the board and investors got ****ed off, gave him his marching orders and embarked on a major cost-cutting exercise and put us on a path to a more stable (financially) company.

We are not unique, this is the way in which small to medium size businesses are financed. My office is a 10-floor We-Work, which contains some 100+ startups, all funded by debt. In fact my previous employers - $19.6bn in revenue - was up to its eye balls in the debt market.

I am naturally pessimistic - West Ham innit - but f*** knows where this will end.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Big George wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:27 pm Big cuts announced today:
BBC News Channel and BBC World TV to merge
Two Local TV services to close
Cuts in local radio hours (more sharing of programmes)
200 fewer hours of new TV comissioning
Radio 4 LW to close
5 Live to close its 909 & 693AM frequncies in the next few years
English langauge World Service to lose £30m
Cuts to linear to output
1,000s of jobs to go (again)

Putting money into online, iPlayer, digital only output, BBC Sounds.
The workforce read about it the day before in the online newspapers top management actually told the workforce of the cuts. They do it all the time and think nothing of it.
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by Shabu »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Listening to the Today programme (the BBC Radio 4 flagship programme) yesterday morning and up popped John Cleese informing all and sundry about his new show on GB News (a channel he wittily called KGB News quite recently). He said that if the BBC offered him a show he wouldn't take it because they'd probably cancel him after 5 mins. His point was that the BBC would not give him 5 minutes air time. I know this because he took 5 minutes on the BBC to tell me this. I'm not even sure these people are even trying any more.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted. :
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

One thing for certain is it won't last another 100 years, which will be sad but if it lasts the optimistic 20 I may need it for I'll be delighted as it forms, at a guess around two thirds of my TV watching with the rest made up of C4 and various 'freeview' channels .
So I do love it but have no tattoos or desires for any.
:winker:
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by Shabu »

Hammer1966 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:26 pm Listening to the Today programme (the BBC Radio 4 flagship programme) yesterday morning and up popped John Cleese informing all and sundry about his new show on GB News (a channel he wittily called KGB News quite recently). He said that if the BBC offered him a show he wouldn't take it because they'd probably cancel him after 5 mins. His point was that the BBC would not give him 5 minutes air time. I know this because he took 5 minutes on the BBC to tell me this. I'm not even sure these people are even trying any more.
The same John Cleese who moans about London not being London anymore because of all the immigrants so he lives in the Caribbean :lol:
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

The beeb have truly filled their remit of public service broadcaster by allowing John Cleese to remind everyone what a twat he's turned into
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Shabu wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:34 pm The same John Cleese who moans about London not being London anymore because of all the immigrants so he lives in the Caribbean :lol:
And moans about being cancelled and yet gets more and more media coverage.
Eastcote
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Eastcote »

In one of my former jobs I picked Mr Cleese up from his flat behind Sloane Sq going to T5 to fly out to Monaco to speak at a Conference for a large financial institution. Moaned all the way way there about his bad back and having to go to Monaco but was flying back that night. He has a few wives to support!

Picked up Frankie junior as well but thats another storey....
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

What does he want to say that the BBC won't let him say?
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Turns to Stone wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:30 pm What does he want to say that the BBC won't let him say?
He won't say. Cos they won't let him...
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Eastcote wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:27 pm In one of my former jobs I picked Mr Cleese up from his flat behind Sloane Sq going to T5 to fly out to Monaco to speak at a Conference for a large financial institution. Moaned all the way way there about his bad back and having to go to Monaco but was flying back that night. He has a few wives to support!

Picked up Frankie junior as well but thats another storey....
I did a couple of 'wait & return' jobs to him way back. One of the rudest arseh*les you'll ever meet.

[edit: That's Cleese, not Frank........ I was on a motorbike, not a forklift.]
Eastcote
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Eastcote »

:kumb:
Tenbury wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:16 am I did a couple of 'wait & return' jobs to him way back. One of the rudest arseh*les you'll ever meet.

[edit: That's Cleese, not Frank........ I was on a motorbike, not a forklift.]
When I dropped him not a word of thanks just moaning about his back and doing stretches on the railings .

Cleese not Frank!!
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

So should Lineker have freedom of speech working for the BBC?

He isn't a news reporter after all.

I cant make my mind up and interested in the views of those here.

Fwiw I am usually reminded of my social media responsibilities for who I work for. Mainly not to put out stuff that could be deemed controversial rather than choosing a political side.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

bonzosbeard wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:05 am So should Lineker have freedom of speech working for the BBC?

He isn't a news reporter after all.

I cant make my mind up and interested in the views of those here.

Fwiw I am usually reminded of my social media responsibilities for who I work for. Mainly not to put out stuff that could be deemed controversial rather than choosing a political side.
Yes, he's a very good pundit, and comes across as a likable fella. So without knowing about his views you might inadvertently strike up a conversation with him, but because you know what his opinions are you now know to swerve the virtuous wind bag.........

Edited to add:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/fio ... s-29407684

:lol:
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Interesting to see Daily Mail types calling for Lineker to be cancelled.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

delbert wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:14 am Yes, he's a very good pundit, and comes across as a likable fella. So without knowing about his views you might inadvertently strike up a conversation with him, but because you know what his opinions are you now know to swerve the virtuous wind bag.........
Wasn't he big on the Brexit remain scene?

I kind of seem to remember that he wound me up preaching what we, lesser beings, should be doing.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:49 am Interesting to see Daily Mail types calling for Lineker to be cancelled.
and Guardian reading types demanding Fiona Bruce is as well, where will it all end?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:49 am Interesting to see Daily Mail types calling for Lineker to be cancelled.
Nice try....

The issue is that he is an employee of the impartial BBC. Or is he? https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 43717.html).

He can spout whatever he wants, but the BBC , OTOH, needs the people on its payroll to be seen as impartial.