The BBC

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

The BBC

Post by Robbie »

I have used the BBC all my life. For television, radio and online. Ceefax was my friend as a child.

There are arguments right now regarding the BBC and their offering of a great British institution, Last Night At The Proms.

Land Of Hope And Glory, Rule Britannia could be whitewashed (irony) so as to placate the leftist BBC stance. Is this a tabloid over reaction or is it something more sinister?

I have found the BBC to be in recent years, rather than more inclusive, more dictorial in their presentation of reporting and choice of content.

I'm not about to start refusing to pay my license fee or anything, but I'm wondering whether I really wish to continue watching, listening and reading content which personally I'm starting to find far removed from my own little world.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Re: The BBC

Post by Collison Theory »

Robbie wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:51 pm I have used the BBC all my life. For television, radio and online. Ceefax was my friend as a child.

There are arguments right now regarding the BBC and their offering of a great British institution, Last Night At The Proms.

Land Of Hope And Glory, Rule Britannia could be whitewashed (irony) so as to placate the leftist BBC stance. Is this a tabloid over reaction or is it something more sinister?

I have found the BBC to be in recent years, rather than more inclusive, more dictorial in their presentation of reporting and choice of content.

I'm not about to start refusing to pay my license fee or anything, but I'm wondering whether I really wish to continue watching, listening and reading content which personally I'm starting to find far removed from my own little world.
Would you mind giving some examples? In my experience, when people say this "inclusive" tends to mean "saying things I agree with" and "dictorial" (ok, "divisive" is more common) is "saying things I don't agree with". It's incredibly rare anyone mentions the BBC being biased towards their viewpoint.

I mean, the BBC can be almost comically toadying to the royals at times, which is hardly very lefty behaviour.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The BBC , in it's current form, does not belong in the modern world.

The licence fee is a mid-2oth century anachronism.

It needs a much smaller budget and a much narrower focus.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:01 pm The BBC , in it's current form, does not belong in the modern world.

The licence fee is a mid-2oth century anachronism.

It needs a much smaller budget and a much narrower focus.
You're right, and the change will be forced. I know a lot of people who aren't willing to pay a license fee anymore.
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

Defund the c****.

The same goes for the CBC here (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, not CeeBeebies)

Getting brainwashed with money that's been taken from me under duress pisses me off
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

All the more reason to watch /listen to media without advertising, then. %
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

Yup. I get all my news from Youtube now where I feel safely wrapped in a bubble where everyone has exactly the same opinions as me. It's lovely.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

A mate of mine is very senior in the hierarchy at BBC news. Very much right of centre, as are a lot of BBC political staff, apparently.

I can absolutely assure you that they get roughly identical numbers of complaints about bias from both ends of the spectrum.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I don't care, as long as we can keep Test Match Special.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'd be surprised if even a fifth of overall viewing (incl. streaming services) these days is BBC stuff.

Young folk simply aren't attached or locked into it in the way that the generations who grew up with it as part of a duopoly with ITV are.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

I love the BBC.

Not least of all because there's no commercial breaks during programmes, it spoils both drama and documentary greatly.

The TV and Radio content is in the main, superb and right up my street.
Do I like everything they produce? ... No
Do they produce some tatt? ..Yes
Do I agree with all of their 'representations' of issues? .. No.
Do I think it value for money? .. Indeed I do.
Does it need 'steam lining'? Yes, I suppose it does, but then, I would strip away content that others would not, so difficult.
Do I believe they have a political agenda of any persuasion?... No I do not
Would I miss it were it gone? .. Cripes yes.

I will never again pay any TV subscription other than the licence fee. I've paid for Sky in the past, dreadful, sport ruining company, they'll never get any more off me.

Just my humble.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:52 am A mate of mine is very senior in the hierarchy at BBC news. Very much right of centre, as are a lot of BBC political staff, apparently.

I can absolutely assure you that they get roughly identical numbers of complaints about bias from both ends of the spectrum.
Theres certainly been a revolving door between senior news/political staff and upper echelons of Tory backroom staff in the last few decades, so the antagonism and hatred poured on it from the right is bemusing. However I think the complaints you mention stem from a flawed attempt at decent news with a ham-fisted and often ill-judged 'balanced' approach, which leads to those opinionated enough to feel it's biased against them.

It's certainly guilty of of promoting loud voices over insightful ones due to its natural instinct on balancing opinions and panels, look at the stats on failed-MP Nigel Farage's appearances vs elected politicians of similar sized parties, or having Nigel Lawson pontificate on climate science on every news bulletin like a flat-earther Canute.

The old journalist trick of figuring out who's happiest with a policy/decision and work back. So, what what the UK media landscape would look like without it? Who'd be happiest? - Foreign tax-dodging owners of media empires who already have incredible, unaccountable power over our public life - that's who.

Thats enough to ensure it should be maintained and cherished by us all. It's incredibly good value actually.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Amazon and Netflix have proven you do not need advertising, so simply make the BBC a subscription service. If people want it, they'll pay for it.

It's a little known fact that BBC Studios (who have revenues of £1bn+ pa) have just completed the full acquisition of UKTV which provides channels such as Dave, Yesterday, Drama and Gold - the latter only being available on subscription services like Sky and Virgin. They are replaying programmes that the licence payer has already paid for, but are still monetising through advertising and subs. So the BBC is a commercial organisation.

If the licence fee is to remain, they need to revisit and re-align with their charter.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Junco Partner wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:35 am
The old journalist trick of figuring out who's happiest with a policy/decision and work back. So, what what the UK media landscape would look like without it? Who'd be happiest? - Foreign tax-dodging owners of media empires who already have incredible, unaccountable power over our public life - that's who.

Thats enough to ensure it should be maintained and cherished by us all. It's incredibly good value actually.
As someone who can be a little meh at times about the BBC I do agree 100% with the above :thup:
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

The Sun constantly publishes anti BBC articles...I wonder why and who would benefit from its demise?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Junco Partner wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:35 am Theres certainly been a revolving door between senior news/political staff and upper echelons of Tory backroom staff in the last few decades, so the antagonism and hatred poured on it from the right is bemusing. However I think the complaints you mention stem from a flawed attempt at decent news with a ham-fisted and often ill-judged 'balanced' approach, which leads to those opinionated enough to feel it's biased against them.

It's certainly guilty of of promoting loud voices over insightful ones due to its natural instinct on balancing opinions and panels, look at the stats on failed-MP Nigel Farage's appearances vs elected politicians of similar sized parties, or having Nigel Lawson pontificate on climate science on every news bulletin like a flat-earther Canute.

Agreed.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

smuts wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:54 am The Sun constantly publishes anti BBC articles...I wonder why and who would benefit from its demise?
I'm not sure the demise of the BBC would cause Rupert to sell more newspapers.

Back OT, to think of this as left vs right is far too simplistic and typical of the polarisation we see in this country. The biggest issue is not the BBC per se it's BBC News. As I said in the Scotrail Derailing thread, they have taken it upon themselves to be the body to holds everyone to account, which when mixed with personal views, which you will see and hear on BBC Breakfast, Newsnight, Today and whenever Laura Kunnesberg takes to the screen. They are not there to provide their opinions, either on screen or twitter. They are paid to report the news and a fair and balanaced manner.

As I have got old and grumpy and turned into my old man, I even felt compelled to complain to the BBC when Naga Munchetty lied on live TV due to her own f*** up. I even had it recorded and was able to provide exact timings. There was no intrepetation, it was a bare-faced lie to cover up her f*** up or that of the autocue writer. The response from ther BBC was she had done no wrong.

The purpose of the BBC is to inform, educate and entertain. Provide us with the news and allow us to make up our minds. If you want opinon and commentary, then there are plenty of other options out there.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

smuts wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:54 am The Sun constantly publishes anti BBC articles...I wonder why and who would benefit from its demise?
Murdoch new news channel that is coming out fronted by Andrew Neil and Farage
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Robbie wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:51 pm Land Of Hope And Glory, Rule Britannia could be whitewashed (irony) so as to placate the leftist BBC stance.
No it hasn't. There will be no audience so there won't be anyone to sing.

They have already committed to normal service resuming next year.

It's another dead cat from the right-wing media to distract from real issues.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

RichieRiv wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:09 am
As I have got old and grumpy and turned into my old man, I even felt compelled to complain to the BBC when Naga Munchetty lied on live TV due to her own **** up. I even had it recorded and was able to provide exact timings. There was no intrepetation, it was a bare-faced lie to cover up her **** up or that of the autocue writer. The response from ther BBC was she had done no wrong.
I don't remember this - what did she lie about?